The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the symptoms of swine flu?  (Read 2289 times)

Jason Mercer

What are the symptoms of swine flu?
« on: 02/08/2009 17:30:02 »
Jason Mercer asked the Naked Scientists:

I am 40 and my wife is 31. She has Swine Flu and has a fever, horrible cough and other symptoms these last 4 days. Yet I have been sick for 2 weeks but it's much more mild with just the headache, lethargy and runny nose. So I can still go to work while she is bedridden.

Can it be the same virus affecting us so very differently?

P.S Great show!

What do you think?

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #1 on: 14/08/2009 09:27:17 »
Every person's immune system is unique, shaped by genetics and passed infections.
On top of that, the Flu virus is also very variable, and if you haven't had any blood test, you can't say whether you've had the swine flu or another influenza invasion.

So it can be the same virus affecting both of you differently, but it might as well be that only one of you had the swine flu, while the other had regular flu.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/08/2009 10:16:46 »
Jason Mercer asked the Naked Scientists:

I am 40 and my wife is 31. She has Swine Flu and has a fever, horrible cough and other symptoms these last 4 days. Yet I have been sick for 2 weeks but it's much more mild with just the headache, lethargy and runny nose. So I can still go to work while she is bedridden.

Can it be the same virus affecting us so very differently?

P.S Great show!

What do you think?

It could be just that you have a rotten head cold as opposed to 'flu, which is while you are able to go to work still. Or it could be that your wife has a different type of virus causing her to be ill, which shows the same signs as swine 'flu, although it does sounds likely that she does have it.
It's actually really difficult to determine who has swine 'flu because of the variation in symptoms and that a non-'flu virus can produce very similar symptoms.

I hope you both feel better soon :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 14/08/2009 10:16:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums