The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What complementary remedies are there for H1N1 Influenza?  (Read 46717 times)

Offline Simpleton

• Researching H1N1 progression.
    • View Profile
What complementary remedies are there for H1N1 Influenza?
« Reply #75 on: 29/08/2009 10:32:19 »
It sends a very poor message, especially as the article doesn't mention why they wouldn't have the vaccine.  This means we can assume that they don't trust it, but we can also assume that they consider themselves healthy and would prefer to see the vaccine going to at risk groups.  Sadly, there's so little information there that we can think whatever we like...

Thanks for the comment Ben. Agree, was quite a loose article. Will think twice in the future about posting dodgy articles with little of no information... Daily mail wrote a better piece, see posting above.

Offline Simpleton

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 10/09/2009 08:40:04 »
Preparing my small swedish bitters using the recipe from Maria Treben.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 10/09/2009 19:48:37 »
"All I can say is that my instinct leads me to the conclusion that the stars, the planets, the constellations et al somehow effect each and everyone of us. "
I didn't ask for another assertion of your opinion; I asked for a reason for it.
Do you, for example, have any plausible mechanism?

Offline Simpleton

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 16/09/2009 22:25:00 »
As this posting is actually to do with complimentery medicine and Influenza (H1N1) I really cant see the point of continuing this odd line of agressive questioning about stars and planets.

In a few weeks I will have time to continue my initial research and will be developing upon my first aid kit. For those interested I am currently taking swedish bitters (mornings before breakfast, 2 teasp), as a preventative measure.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 17/09/2009 18:38:42 »
" I really cant see the point of continuing this odd line of agressive questioning about stars and planets."

If you really can't see it then perhaps you need to read the thread again.
It's because a lot of the complimentary medicine is based on total hogwash like astrology.

You might want to look back to the bit where I said "Do you realise that "modern" herbalists still base their work on things like
"Yarrow was a plant of Venus (this was odd, because most devil's herbs were plants of Saturn) and, as such, was frequently consulted where love matters were concerned. "
and
"Culpepper tells us that:
'Mercury has the dominion of this plant, and therefore to be sure it strengthens the brain.... It stays the hiccough, being boiled in wine, and but smelled unto being tied in a cloth. The seed is of more use than the leaves, and more effectual to digest raw and vicious humours, and is used in medicines that serve to expel wind, and the pains proceeding therefrom...."

Do you really think that such trash based on astrology is worth reading, never mind using as the basis of medicine?"

Incidentally when you say "For those interested I am currently taking swedish bitters (mornings before breakfast, 2 teasp), as a preventative measure."
I trust you mean that you are preventing the impoverishment of the manufacturer.
There's no real evidence it will prevent anything else.

(Just for reference; evidence is not the plural of anecdote)

Offline Dabbler

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 14/10/2009 04:18:30 »
Alternative H1N1 treatments:  Pycnogenol.  leukotriene inhibitor and cytokine reduction as well.  I've personally had good results with my daughter, who has viral induced asthma, especially in conjunction with quercetin.  Logically it would protect from the dreaded "cytokine storm" (cue scary music), which is what seems to kill.

newbielink:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15641632?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log [nonactive]$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

There are many other studies out there, just google pycnogenol & cytokines

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 14/10/2009 21:52:15 »
Hi influential folks!

Did anybody check this out?

Enjoy more on vitamindcouncil.com...

ikod

Offline Simpleton

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 29/10/2009 06:53:09 »
Didnt see that link, but thanks...

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
Re: What complementary remedies are there for H1N1 Influenza?
« Reply #83 on: 09/03/2016 13:16:25 »
I use the following to fight viral infections :

• vitamin C
  • vitamin D
  • DHA/EPA (omega-3's) - PPAR-gamma agonist
  • Green tea

In addition, curcumin may be used during peak influenza inflammation, if necessary.

References:

Structure-activity relationship analysis of curcumin analogues on anti-influenza virus activity: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24034558

Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation to prevent seasonal influenza A in schoolchildren: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20219962

PPAR-gamma activation as an anti-inflammatory therapy for respiratory virus infections: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20712478

Vitamin C Is an Essential Factor on the Anti-viral Immune Responses through the Production of Interferon-α/β at the Initial Stage of Influenza A Virus (H3N2) Infection: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3659258/

Antiviral effect of catechins in green tea on influenza virus: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16137775
« Last Edit: 09/03/2016 13:35:46 by tkadm30 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: What complementary remedies are there for H1N1 Influenza?
« Reply #83 on: 09/03/2016 13:16:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums