The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Photo enhancement  (Read 3917 times)

Offline L_D

• View Profile
Photo enhancement
« on: 03/08/2009 02:51:58 »
Hi, I found this photo yesterday and was hoping someone could enhance it to show what is being reflected better...

Both bits of reflective paper are interesting but I had to giggle when I saw what looks like a person reflected in the reflective paper on the right.

The original HD version is from here:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a15/AS15-87-11839HR.jpg [nofollow]

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Photo enhancement
« Reply #1 on: 08/08/2009 02:02:11 »
Its just a reflection of the leg above it, or H G Wells wearing sunglasses.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Photo enhancement
« Reply #2 on: 08/08/2009 16:50:45 »
To me it looks like a Star Trek crew member circa 1990, with a flying saucer behind his head...

It's pareidolia ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
« Last Edit: 08/08/2009 17:10:11 by RD »

Offline pmb00cs

• View Profile
    • My Website.
Photo enhancement
« Reply #3 on: 09/08/2009 11:25:02 »
Hi, I found this photo yesterday and was hoping someone could enhance it to show what is being reflected better...
I hate to break it to you but image enhancement, of the type shown in films and TV shows, isn't actually possible. You cannot get a higher resolution image than the source image.

Image enhancement in the real world is either what the do to photo's of stars before putting them in the magazines, or taking a corrupted source image and extracting as much of the original as they can. In neither case is the result a higher resolution than the original image.

Any examples of image enhancement that do generate a higher resolution image, through such things as extrapolation of the colour gradients, tends to produce a poor quality, and unreliable, image.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Photo enhancement
« Reply #4 on: 09/08/2009 11:46:21 »
If you can model the specific lens used to take a blurred photo it's possible to sharpen it but you can't do much with a badly pixelated image as there aren't enough datapoints.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Photo enhancement
« Reply #4 on: 09/08/2009 11:46:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums