The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is Warmer Ice Cream More Calorific ?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Is Warmer Ice Cream More Calorific ?
« on: 04/08/2009 11:49:41 »
Dearest Naked Science Peeps Of Ice Cream Luffing Fun,

Happy Tuesday.

As a sheepy I of course luff ice cream !...hmmmmm....it's well delish.....The Italians do it best...!!

Look , here's some..

Some Ice Cream In Florence Yesterday

Having recenlty asked a temperature related question I got to thinking that would there be any calorific difference if I consumned two identical tubs of ice cream but there was a big difference in temperature  say -10 C and +3c ?

I am thinking that the colder the ice cream the more the body will burn energy to warm it and this it will be less fattening !...whajafink ?

hugs

Neil
Ice Cream Eater
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Herman Melville

« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2009 11:55:19 »
In theory, that's true. But it's still fattening.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2009 12:29:50 by Herman Melville »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2009 20:08:01 »
I used to do a bit of winter hillwalking and scrambling in my younger days, usually three-day trips and camping out overnight, and just eating and drinking cold stuff wasn't a good idea as it did seem to drain appreciable energy from our bodies.  This was in sub-zero temperatures though, so the temperature gradient and the rate at which we lost heat was more critical.

(Oops! - Edited to correct misspelling: tree->three)
« Last Edit: 05/08/2009 12:53:35 by LeeE »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/08/2009 02:41:34 »
 Hummmmm..that is interesting.. I have never thought of that before! I love ice cream so it doesn't matter.. I have to be careful with it.... but would be nice to know if we turned up the freezer would it be a tad less fattening? I wonder how one might test that theory?

Neil is always up for an empirical study what can he do to test it?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/08/2009 02:43:27 »
Dearest Naked Science Peeps Of Ice Cream Luffing Fun,

Happy Tuesday.

As a sheepy I of course luff ice cream !...hmmmmm....it's well delish.....The Italians do it best...!!

Look , here's some..

Some Ice Cream In Florence Yesterday

Having recenlty asked a temperature related question I got to thinking that would there be any calorific difference if I consumned two identical tubs of ice cream but there was a big difference in temperature  say -10 C and +3c ?

I am thinking that the colder the ice cream the more the body will burn energy to warm it and this it will be less fattening !...whajafink ?

hugs

Neil
Ice Cream Eater
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OH MY GAWWWWWWD That is the most beautiful looking ice cream I have ever seen! Wholly Molly!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/08/2009 11:17:26 »
In theory, that's true. But it's still fattening.

As an adventurer sheep I am prepared to travel to colder climes and then enjoy ice cream at even colder temperatures. I am determined to enjoy full fat ice cream at temperatures that nullify any fat adding properties. I must do this. It is very important as I want to eat ice cream !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/08/2009 11:19:37 »
I used to do a bit of winter hillwalking and scrambling in my younger days, usually tree-day trips and camping out overnight, and just eating and drinking cold stuff wasn't a good idea as it did seem to drain appreciable energy from our bodies.  This was in sub-zero temperatures though, so the temperature gradient and the rate at which we lost heat was more critical.

Gosh !...Perhaps if I was to echo your hillwaking experiences but supplement it with either some energy tablets or a portable sun lamp that I could use only when eating ice cream !  thanks LeeE...ewe are an adventurer !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/08/2009 11:24:12 »
Hummmmm..that is interesting.. I have never thought of that before! I love ice cream so it doesn't matter.. I have to be careful with it.... but would be nice to know if we turned up the freezer would it be a tad less fattening? I wonder how one might test that theory?

Neil is always up for an empirical study what can he do to test it?

I am prepared to go to extraordinary lengths as mentioned in the posts above......I will do ' what it takes ' to enjoy ice cream ..because I luff it !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05/08/2009 12:36:03 »
Well I hope you post back here on your adventure and tell us how it went! YUMMMMMMMMMy! lol..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 05/08/2009 12:36:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums