The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Is It Mostly The Bois Who Attract The Girlies ?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Wocha !

*sheepy bounces in skippy hoppy skip*

As a sheepy I of course do not need to attract girlies ....ewe can't really blame them really can ewe ?
I mean....just check out my skipping prowess !!

However, my fellow blokey animals have to go to extraordinary lengths to attract females !

Look at Changrington Arbuthnot Square the 3rd here ? he has to get each feather ironed and his haidressing bill is phenomenal !

Changrington In Full Flow

Nice eh ? being delivered next Tuesday as a garden accessory !

Now it seems to me in most cases it's the guy who needs to attract the gal !...why's that then ? Why is it down to guys to vie for girls ?

Are there cases where it's the girlie who vies for the guy ?..I can't think of one right now..but it seems to me that it's equally important that the the female should be of good stock to make healthy young too !!

whajafink ?

hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !

neil
Ewes For Me
xxxxxxxxxxx

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Why Is It Mostly The Bois Who Attract The Girlies ?
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/2009 14:14:50 »
In most species, especially those in which monogamy is not the norm, the females bear most of the brunt in terms of reproduction. So evolution will tend to favour those who chose carefully which males to mate with as they then stand the best chance of producing reproductively successful offspring. 
Conversely, successful males may be able to breed with several males in one season if they are sufficiently attractive, at no great cost to themselves... so they will mate with any female who makes herself available (so there's no benefit to the female in costly displays).

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/08/2009 14:53:41 »
In most species, especially those in which monogamy is not the norm, the females bear most of the brunt in terms of reproduction. So evolution will tend to favour those who chose carefully which males to mate with as they then stand the best chance of producing reproductively successful offspring. 
Conversely, successful males may be able to breed with several males in one season if they are sufficiently attractive, at no great cost to themselves... so they will mate with any female who makes herself available (so there's no benefit to the female in costly displays).

Did you mean "females" rosy?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/08/2009 15:48:53 »
I would be happy to breed with some males if it were at all possible !  ;D

Does this then mean that the males of the species are not really fussy bout the quality of their progeny, but are just more concerned with reproducing ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06/08/2009 16:11:56 »
hee hee hee! I have one here that would be happy to accommodate you when you take on that task Kind Sir!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 08/08/2009 00:35:18 »
'Tis a goodsome point thou doth make o woolly one.

T'would appear that the male of the species must go to great lengths (no pun intended) to make himself appear as a suitable donor of the tadpole, yet the female simply has to be ........ well, a female!

Perhaps if both party's had to put on a display, such as the fine Changrington Arbuthnot Square the 3rd, nobody would get anywhere, since they may not be 'putting on the Ritz' at the same time and in the same place.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 08/08/2009 00:35:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums