The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does magnetism affect cells?  (Read 5957 times)

Offline cjohnson

• First timers
    • View Profile
How does magnetism affect cells?
« on: 07/08/2009 16:53:36 »
What effect does magnetism have on cellular activity?  It is fairly well accepted that the old magnetic bracelets that were once popular are only beneficial because of the plasebo effect.  However, when I was young, my dad crushed his wrist, and was given a device with a battery pack and horseshoe shaped device that went around his wrist that emitted a magnetic field to encourage regrowth.  I wonder if this is related to the fact that high voltage power lines and their magnetic fields may be linked to cancer clusters.  Since cancer is sort of an overgrowth of individual cells, could the magnetism be encouraging growth, or is it that the energy from the magnetism disrupts the DNA in the same was as UV rays?
« Last Edit: 07/08/2009 19:28:28 by chris »

Offline hwobot

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Hwobot the HW Robot
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/2009 13:49:51 »
I've actually done a year long research project on the subject. From the research I've done on published papers, it seems that magnetic fields disrupt cell mitosis by disrupting microtubules. Thus, it should actually inhibit cancer growth because cancer cells undergo mitosis much more often than normal cells.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2009 18:42:13 »
Quote;
"high voltage power lines and their magnetic fields may be linked to cancer clusters"

So far I don't think that any scientific study has been able to verify that.

Hi hwobot.

MRI scans use very powerful magnetic fields which affects hydrogen atoms in the water of the body, on average its around 1.0 to 1.5 T and with newer scanners around 3.0 T. Those magnetic fields are so powerful that if left unscreened they could affect compass needles over a several mile radius.

What magnetic flux density would therefore be needed to be able to disrupt cell mitosis?

Offline doctorpuff

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • clinical psychologist
« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2009 06:30:25 »
Really useful article.. Thank you..
newbielink:http://www.doctorpuff.com [nonactive]

Offline hwobot

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Hwobot the HW Robot
« Reply #4 on: 06/11/2009 12:50:23 »
Quote;
"high voltage power lines and their magnetic fields may be linked to cancer clusters"

So far I don't think that any scientific study has been able to verify that.

Hi hwobot.

MRI scans use very powerful magnetic fields which affects hydrogen atoms in the water of the body, on average its around 1.0 to 1.5 T and with newer scanners around 3.0 T. Those magnetic fields are so powerful that if left unscreened they could affect compass needles over a several mile radius.

What magnetic flux density would therefore be needed to be able to disrupt cell mitosis?

Here's the paper I read it from and based my research on.
newbielink:http://www.pnas.org/content/104/24/10152.full [nonactive]

The thing with MRI's is that you're not constantly in an MRI. So even if the MRI is stronger, the time isn't adequate enough to produce any noticeable changes. On the other hand, the experiment conducted above was done over months.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2009 20:22:35 »
I have quickly read the paper? and it seems like snake oil is being created for sale.

They have even created a new term "tumour treating fields (TTFields) with lots of fancy talk about frequency, voltage and AC fields. I will await the results of the trial by Novocure Ltd and also what the selling price will be as I presume this product will not be free to use.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2009 20:22:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums