The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Worldwide ban on guns  (Read 2194 times)

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
Worldwide ban on guns
« on: 09/08/2009 14:36:15 »
Good day.

I feel the time to ban guns world wide is right now! It needs to start somewhere so why not with the academic minds of our time here on the naked scientist.

I understand this is only a chat forum but I know that there are people who feel like I do when they hear about innocent people being the victim of guns.
ITS NOT RIGHT!
ITS NOT RIGHT!
ITS NOT RIGHT!

We Live in such an amazing time, we have made leaps and bounds with technology, and we have overcome obstacles so great that generations to come will always be inspired by what we have done.

So why do we still choose to have deadly weapons in our societies? Sure we need to protect ourselves from criminals who have guns.

But know this one thing, if all guns and factories are destroyed worldwide then the criminals would not have guns either and we would be in the same boat again.

I am suggesting that we completely outlaw all factories and all forms of guns, including from law enforcement.
All guns are to be destroyed and all factories shutdown, thats what im fighting for.

This is one of those subjects that make people shrug their shoulders and say "Well what can I do?"

I'm here to tell you that if we all get together we can make a difference.
I am very serious about this, I have never felt this passionate about anything in my life, and if you feel the same way then email me : neilsp420@hotmail.com , and the subject line must be Worldwide ban on guns

Thank you, and remember YES WE CAN!
« Last Edit: 09/08/2009 14:37:47 by latebind »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Worldwide ban on guns
« Reply #1 on: 09/08/2009 15:26:07 »
All very laudable & I agree totally with the sentiment behind your post. However, there are basic flaws in your argument.

If guns & munition factories were destroyed then those who currently use guns would merely resort to other weaponry. You only have to think back to the civil war in Rwanda where most of the killing was done with knives, sticks & machetes. And believe me, at medium range a bow & arrow or crossbow are just as deadly as a revolver. Having owned a handgun, a longbow & a hunting crossbow I know that as fact.

In medieval times the Koreans had the Singijeon; a multiple rocket launcher. The design for that migrated westwards thanks to the Mongols, and the Turks used a similar weapon to great effect in many battles. If those weapons could be made in medieval times, they could probably be made now in someone's garage.

It is also not that difficult to make projectile weapons. Think how basic muskets were. Anyone with a modicum of engineering ability & a decent lathe could make 1.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Worldwide ban on guns
« Reply #2 on: 10/08/2009 08:59:29 »
Alas, you cannot uninvent the gun.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
Worldwide ban on guns
« Reply #3 on: 10/08/2009 09:26:09 »
Ban bullets/ammunition-problem solved  ;D

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Worldwide ban on guns
« Reply #4 on: 10/08/2009 09:53:26 »
Who needs guns???

A gang pinned down a 14-year-old boy and attacked him with a snake, forcing the reptile to bite the teenager on the arm, police said Sunday.

Source

Whatever next???

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
Worldwide ban on guns
« Reply #5 on: 13/08/2009 15:14:25 »
But if we ban all guns, then what will we do when we get invaded by Aliens?

I think they're just waiting for a ban like this before overwhelming us ;)

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Worldwide ban on guns
« Reply #6 on: 13/08/2009 16:12:05 »
Actually the aliens just have to give us the guns and we will kill each other.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Worldwide ban on guns
« Reply #6 on: 13/08/2009 16:12:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length