The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Am I suffering from Schizophrenia ?  (Read 2698 times)

Offline chrislewis23

• First timers
    • View Profile
Am I suffering from Schizophrenia ?
« on: 21/08/2005 23:03:07 »
I am really anxious and had an Hyperventilation attack back in December.  I am extremely worried that a may develop some kind of schizophrenia.  This may sound silly to anyone but I keep saying things like we were about to go out for a meal to a restaurant for a meal one evening and I said jokingly what the soup may be and it was what I said I guessed it would be.  Also I was watching a card game on tv where the players had to guess whether or not the next card would be higher or lower than the previous one.  And I was saying to the other family members watching the show what the next two card would be (Ace & King) and they were.  My Mum says I must be pyschic.  This sounds silly but being able to guess the above things above and for them to be what I said they would really freaks me out !!  Also I also seem to be aware of any sounds around me, sometime voices.  Sometime I can eventually suss out where the sound are coming from other times I can not.  I can't understand what the voices say they are very mumbled but when I can not always suss out where the sound is coming from it really freaks me out.  Does anyone think I may have the early signs of schizophrenia.  I am also frightened I may have to go into a mental hospital and I will loose all grip on life !!

Offline Allison

• View Profile
Re: Am I suffering from Schizophrenia ?
« Reply #1 on: 21/08/2005 23:51:03 »
Hi Chris,

First of all, don't panic.  If you do have something wrong with you, it will be made worse by stress and anxiety.  

I found this website ( newbielink:http://www.schizophrenia.com/ami/diagnosis/ocd.html [nonactive]) that might answer some of your questions (I didn't see incredible lucky guesses on the list, so maybe your mother IS correct;)).  

May I ask why you have jumped to the conclusion yu have schizophrenia?  That seems like a rather big leap.  First things first:  go to your doctor.  If there IS anything wrong, the sooner you discover what it is and treat it, the better off you'll be.  Self-diagnosis isn't the best way to go--we always assume the worst.

Offline MissB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2005 16:03:16 »
ok.. lets define schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a mental illnes often accompanied by hearing voices that no one else hears or seeing things no one else sees. NOT by guessing what's next.

Some folks have delusions such as they are God and Elvis, the classics,  or that they are major league baseball players and haven't ever picked up a bat in their lives. Some folks are perfectly able to function in society with medications, and some are not.

My guess is that you are a good "guesser". If not and there is some psychic ability, have fun with it, don't panic, we are all psychic in some ways, we just ignore it. Personally I have dreams that come true, but I never know which ones until after! Being Psychic is NOT schizophrenia.

See a therapist if you have a question.

Bon

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/08/2005 17:04:23 »
Hi Chris...just to echo what Miss B and Allison have said...Please do not worry at all....I suspect you have a heightened intuition when it comes to guessing, but if this was a one off Chris then it was most probably just coincidence....if you were experiencing this in a daily basis then I would say you've got a good case for being extremley perceptive....which is nice.

Regarding the schizophrenia....I would certainly recommend a vist to the doctor for your own peace of mind but I think it's higly unlikely....

...when you hear these mumblings is the house very quiet ?...are you alone in your bedroom ?....or can you hear these sounds above the usual goings on  ?...when you're out and about ?...or is it really confined to those quiet moments at home ?.....

The reason I ask is that I spend a lot of time up late at night...and almost every night I will hear something too...but only after everybody has gone to bed or I'm alone in the house....it always ends up being something completely harmless.....but, as i said, for your peace of mind...why don't you pop along to your doctor !!...please don't feel silly about this...I can imagine you thinking that they will think you're crazy..THEY WON'T !!..you need to go just to find out eh ?....let us all know how you get on...good luck

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 24/08/2005 17:04:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums