The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Meet Susy...  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Pablo

• View Profile
Meet Susy...
« on: 23/08/2005 07:27:08 »
I was reading about supersymmetry and I think that instead of solving the puzzle, it creates more problems...I quote: "Supersymmetry is an attractive theory to physicists as it provides a connection between all known elementary particles and can simplify many complex interactions. High energy supersymmetry suggests that instead of two types of basic elementary particles - bosons and fermions - there is just one. It also implies that high-energy physics experiments should detect twice as many particles than researchers have currently seen. For example quarks and electrons, which are fermions, should have bosonic equivalents called squarks and selectrons, while photons and gluons, which are bosons, should have fermionic equivalents called photinos and gluinos. Current research suggests that these particles are superheavy..." Superheavy? What makes them be more massive? It's not the Higgs field, right?

Pablo Gonzalez

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
Re: Meet Susy...
« Reply #1 on: 23/08/2005 19:40:32 »
No, not the Higg's boson. That would have to have a supersymmetric partner as well. Why are they heavy? Because they are energetic. They also have short lives, so we won't see any floating around. They have to be created by highly energetic reactions, and then detected, usually as they decay into satble particles.

"F = ma, E = mc^2, and you can't push a string."

Offline vanvinhhoang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/08/2005 12:58:15 »
But sometime i think that SUSY theories maybe just a mathematical solution for our physical circumstance. in mathematical view, they are so beautiful, but there's still no rigid evendence for their predictions. So must we just wait? No, we must be always in active, like many another physicists, in Viet nam, our teacher and our group researching carefully string theories, and trying to combine the two ones in an special way. And we hope discovery something new.

Offline Pablo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/08/2005 17:31:45 »
Yes. it's true that Susy theories are more mathematical than physical, but in the words of B. Russell "Physics is mathematical not because we know so much about the physical world, but because we know so little; it is only its mathematical properties that we can discover"

Pablo Gonzalez

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 28/08/2005 17:31:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums