The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does my TomTom Go 530 not show the maximum road speed?  (Read 10065 times)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
I recently purchased a new TomTom satnav - a Go 530 - to replace an earlier XL edition that I sent back because the battery was defective (it went flat in about 30 minutes).

This new model is very nice but for some reason a very useful feature on the XL - displaying the current road speed and then, beneath that, the speed limit the stretch of road I am on - is not functional on the new Go 530. There is a menu option to select it but even with this ticked it doesn't work.

Bizarrely, however, it does occasionally kick in for a short spell! I was driving along a stretch of road close to home the other day and it kicked for about 5 minutes but vanished again as soon as the limit changed.

Has anyone else experienced this, or knows how to solve it?

Chris

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why does my TomTom Go 530 not show the maximum road speed?
« Reply #1 on: 23/08/2009 12:55:22 »
Has anyone else experienced this

Re: Speed limit on Tomtom XL
...  It seems to be an intermittent problem, sometimes it shows the speed limit and sometimes it doesn't, even on an A road.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-navigation-sat-nav/1034568-speed-limit-tomtom-xl.html

To help you drive more safely, your TomTom can show you the speed limit for the road you are on.

The speed limit is shown next to your current speed. When you drive faster than the speed limit, the speed limit is shown in red. If you drive considerably above the speed limit, the speed limit flashes in red.

Information about speed limits is included with the latest maps (version 6.5 or higher) and is not available for all roads.

You should always check the speed limit for the road you are on. The speed limit may change and the information your TomTom shows you may not be correct. TomTom is not liable for errors in the maps and accepts no responsibility if you are caught breaking the speed limit.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com
« Last Edit: 23/08/2009 13:17:37 by RD »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2009 09:27:57 »
Hmm - I've got that selected already but it doesn't actually show the speed, except once when it decided to for about  5 minutes; then, when the speed limit changed it disappeared again...

Chris

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/08/2009 10:23:31 »
Hmm - I've got that selected already but it doesn't actually show the speed, except once when it decided to for about  5 minutes; then, when the speed limit changed it disappeared again...

Chris

I have had a quick search and can't find anything related tot he speed limit setting for the 530. I had a quick fiddle on my XL and I know which bit you mean to select it, it should work if selected as it does on mine and not just when it feels like it!
It could be a software problem, almost as if the 530 doesn't appear to know the speed limits for the maps it has stored.
If you are registered on the Tom Tom website you can access the support section and send them an email asking, try that.
Or buy a 2CV so it doesn't go fast enough to break any speed limit! :D

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/08/2009 10:36:03 »
Customer Reviews
TomTom GO 530 Satellite Navigation System

By    AJCS (York, UK) -
The maps are generally good, but often do not indicate the speed limit and they warn of old speed camera locations, such as those at long-since-completed road works. 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews

Maybe a software update would cure the problem ?, (although seems odd it knows the road but not the speed limit on the road).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/08/2009 12:36:13 »
I have found that they now have introduced signs on the actual roadside itself that display the speed limit !..I find these very useful when looking at the road ahead....what will they think of next ?

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #6 on: 24/08/2009 13:26:59 »
Yea, I've heard about them too neilep.

That HUD called front window has great resolution as well, much higher than any TomTom (even the XL)..

Offline gripewater

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25/04/2010 19:39:06 »
I added a few speeds of specific roads in the 'correct map errors'section
and it shows these beside the speed but only these.

Offline gripewater

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25/04/2010 19:44:41 »
its bloody sickening so it is, the option for show house numbers before road name doesn't do anything either, but that's always been the way, at least i never had  that to miss it,
i have Reid a full application replacement, and some of the posters don't seem too bothered about the whole  thing

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 25/04/2010 19:44:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums