The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are neutrinos and what do they do?  (Read 9479 times)

Offline Farsight

• View Profile
What are neutrinos and what do they do?
« Reply #25 on: 29/08/2009 17:49:44 »
It isn't, Vern. A photon has momentum p=hf/c, but it has no mass. The difference between momentum and inertia depends on who you say is moving, and in relativity, you can't really say. Here, take a look at Compton scattering:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/comptint.html

The photon delivers a "kick" that sends the target electron flying off at an angle. Now repeat the collision but imagine the photon isn't moving at c. Instead of receiving a kick, the electron would bounce off it, and the momentum now looks like inertia. Put your massless photon in mirrored box and the mass of the box+photon system is increased. Ditto if you use pair production to make a photon "go nowhere fast" as an electron or positron. It's really simple, and it goes back to Einstein's 1905 paper DOES THE INERTIA OF A BODY DEPEND UPON ITS ENERGY-CONTENT? which you can find here: http://wien.cs.jhu.edu/AnnusMirabilis/index.html#common

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #26 on: 29/08/2009 22:01:12 »
Quote from: Farsight
Ditto if you use pair production to make a photon "go nowhere fast" as an electron or positron.
I think we are in agreement on the formation of an electron and positron. But I don't see the need for a torus twist. I can see that a simple circle can connect front to back in a photon of the right frequency and that resonance would help trap it there. Additional positive feedback is needed as well. This can come from the electrical charge that comes from the bend in the photon's path.

Is there some reason that the confined photons need to go through a torus twist? I can think of an electric and magnetic effect where the bend may happen half way between the two planes, but I know of no principal that would demand it. Maybe it is that both the electric and magnetic planes must be in resonance. I'll have to look at that more.

« Last Edit: 29/08/2009 22:08:37 by Vern »

Offline Farsight

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30/08/2009 09:18:28 »
It goes back to Minkowski's wrench, Vern. It's geometry. The right-hand rule is telling us the electromagnetic field is like a reamer. It's got a twist to it. Grip the reamer in your right hand and push up with your thumb. It turns. Hence electric motors and dynamos. 

You know how LIGO is looking for gravitational waves? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave. There's a change in distance. A photon is the same, only the distance is 3.86 x 10-13m. The electric field is a "twist" field, move through it and you'd experience a "turn" field, a magnetic field. It's just two different ways of looking at the same thing. To make an electron, you have to deflect the photon to make it travel through itself. There's nothing to brace against, so you have to make a positron too. Get it right and the photon keeps on travelling through itself. The twist makes it turn, and the turn makes it twist. It grips itself.

The positron is like the above reflected in a mirror. It has the opposite chirality. The opposite twist.

« Last Edit: 30/08/2009 09:23:35 by Farsight »

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #28 on: 30/08/2009 12:46:30 »
I can visualize the concept you illustrate and it looks plausible but I don't see the forces making the twist. An electric field must develop from the mechanics of the pattern. If the same field of the photon can occupy the outside of the pattern all the way through, this would happen. However, I don't see the polarities worked out in the twist.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 30/08/2009 12:46:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums