The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The best way to prevent transmission of std's  (Read 17163 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: The best way to prevent transmission of std's
« Reply #25 on: 31/08/2005 21:40:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

And then cross your fingers and hope your partner remains faithful

I remain faithful to every one of my mistresses ;)...(I know....poor joke)

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline MissB

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01/09/2005 23:40:16 »
Gecko.. not sure why you would hate me. But if you want to put that much effort into a message board.. by all means.. go for it. Personally I believe that those wishes or thoughts you put out on others comes back 100 fold. Remember that when sending "best wishes"

I hope you have a wonderful life!!!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #27 on: 02/09/2005 01:19:29 »
Hi miss B
Even though your American :)i Just thought i would let you know.

I Have nothing but love for you . [:X]

(just dont tell my wife):)
« Last Edit: 02/09/2005 02:05:50 by ukmicky »

drkev

« Reply #28 on: 02/09/2005 02:07:53 »
papsmears after every partner, why not? I do. It is very unpleasant having a plastic stick shoved down my willy and it hurts like hell trying to pee for a few hours after. I remember the chinese doctor who saw me recognised me from around the University and said "what do you expect when you sleep with women from **********?" it did make me laugh and i was less embarrassed. He also asked me if passing water stung to which my reply was "it didn't until you shoved that bloody stick down my cock!"

So yes it is unpleasant but it means that if I ever caught anything it can be treated immediately and ensures the safety of any future partners.

I spent a day shadowing in the GU clinic once and a guy came in whose willy looked like a cauliflower. (If anyone has seen genital warts you will know what I mean.) When I asked him how long it had been like that he said "two years"!!!!

It is unpleasant but seriously guys get yourself checked and your mrs too preferably before you sleep with her but not easy on a friday night!

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #29 on: 02/09/2005 09:05:10 »
As Prof. Margaret Stanley put it when I interviewed her on the radio, most people have got a zoo going on down there, and when you sleep with them you mix your zoo with their zoo.

The reality is that up to 50% of people have high-risk forms of the genital wart virus, HPV, living on their privates. These HPV forms are associated with the vast majority (over 80%) of cervical cancers. So if a woman has sex with multiple partners then she stands a high risk of acquiring these agents and greatly increasing her risk of cervical cancer.

But it's not just intercourse that facilitates the spread of these agents. As someone has already highlighted above, fingers are a very effective vector too and there are now studies following up girls who are confirmed virgins yet carry high risk HPV forms. How did it get there ? Because a guy touches himself, transfers viral particles to his hands, and then touches her.

And it can work both ways, because men can acquire HPV in the same way. For them it's associated with penile cancer although the effect is weaker than the link to cervical cancer in women.

There's no cure, you have to wait for the immune system to kick in and kick out the virus that triggers the lesions. An unfortunate legacy of past infection is the subsequent risk of cancer.

The only thing that seems to influence HPV carriage and transmission (apart from not having sex at all) is male circumcision. The foreskin strongly promotes infection, sequestration and growth of the virus. This is because it provides a larger surface area for infection, and micro-trauma during sex opens up tiny fissures in the skin allowing the virus to gain entry. Also, subsequent lesions (warts caused by genital wart-type HPVs) can remain hidden by the foreskin, so an individual, and their partners, might not realise that they are infected and infectious.

Indeed, recent studies have confirmed that women with uncircumcised partners have a cervical cancer risk about 100-200% higher than those with circumcised partners (when taking into account other factors such as total partner numbers, pill use, smoking history and age effects). In support of these findings, in the US, where most men (80%) are circumcised when they are born, there is a bias in cervical cancer rates towards population subsets with lower male circumcision rates, such as the Hispanic groups.

Interestingly, the same protective effect of circumcision is being seen with another sexually transmitted infection, HIV, largely for the same reasons as HPV. A recent trial was carried out in Africa (published in PLoS Medicine last month) in which individuals who approached doctors requesting cicumcision were randomly assigned to wait 2 years for the procedure (subject to their agreement), or be circumcised immediately. At the time of enrollment in the study they were tested for HIV, and the followed up subsequently to see how many from each group subsequently caught HIV.

The trial had to be stopped early because there were so many people catching HIV in the uncircumcised group that it was deemed unethical to make them wait any longer for the procedure. (About 3 times as many people from the uncircumcised group became HIV positive in the short follow up period compared with those given the procedure immediately). This result agrees with previous studies in several countries which have found an approximately 800% increased in risk of HIV acquisition amongst the uncircumcised.

So, forget tattoos, that won't work. These infections are tiny, invisible and easy to transmit. What's needed is common sense and some education. If people sleep with lots of other people they will pick these things up, but the chances can be reduced by being sensible and adopting a number of protective strategies, one of them being to always use barrier forms of contraception.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx
« Last Edit: 02/09/2005 09:08:22 by chris »

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 06/09/2005 16:45:51 »
quote:
So, forget tattoos, that won't work.

I agree! But if you're ever gonna willingly get one (or two) use a registered artist, so you know that he/she knows what hygiene means and that he/she takes care of it as well.

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06/09/2005 17:24:05 »
Some say we have sex to have our genes survive. We have also seen a few lawsuits involving "you lied to me and gave me aids". The problem is that most carriers don't have much worldly possessions to sue for.

We used to put carriers of nasty dieases under quarentine, but obviously that doesn't work with AIDS - too many people and too long to detect.

I mentioned before that I think this is going to be a very costly problem in the future, not only for the drugs to treat it, but also for the lost productivity in populations where infection rates are double digit. It will devistate populations like the old wars used to.

America is using education as the main defense, and I think that the death and suffering of those who have it does have a strong effect on their friends. This is still very much a homosexual diease as the success of the organism passing though the intestine wall is much higher than passing though the vaginal wall, and the homosexual community does have a much higher incedence of casual sex (sex with someone you just met and probably won't see again) than the hetrosexual community. Of course then it gets into politics, and the homosexual group screams loudest. Perhaps the lesbian community is the safest group.

The question is how to we learn to cure new dieases. Every year some new diease probabily a flu pops up and kills people. The germs are mutating. Should some super germ come along though random chance (like AIDS did) will the race survive. We really need to understand how to custom design molecules to attack these beasties. (Also not to mention what some mad scientist could come up with by cross linking genes from various dieases).

Personally I used chastity and delayed gratification (wait till after you are tested and married) to keep safe, but that doesn't seem too popluar these days.

David

Offline MissB

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10/09/2005 08:47:57 »
Just an FYI. I heard from a friend not too long ago, she had Herpes. She dug through the memory files to try to figure out who gave it to her, she hadn't had many partners since her 15 year marriage broke up. She suspected a young man she met while getting her teaching certificate, a few years before. She also struggled with how to tell her current partner, a prominent physician in this very small town. Well, if you handn't guessed. The physician is the one who gave her Herpes. Just goes to show you can't trust anyone. He knew he had it and knew he could give it to her. His response was, "oh well, about 1 out of 4 people have it". What makes it worse is that he refrained from sex with an out-of-town girlfriend for years, for fear of giving it to her.

Makes me ill, especialy since my friend still is with him. UGH.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #32 on: 10/09/2005 08:47:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums