The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can calcium combat insect bite itching?  (Read 4581 times)

Kamil

Can calcium combat insect bite itching?
« on: 26/08/2009 09:30:03 »
Kamil asked the Naked Scientists:

I've always been told that calcium supplements help when one gets bitten by mosquitoes or ants (to reduce the swelling and to soothe the itching).

Is it true? If so, what's the mechanism of that help? If not, are there any "home remedies" that could help?

What do you think?

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2009 10:50:13 »
Kamil asked the Naked Scientists:

I've always been told that calcium supplements help when one gets bitten by mosquitoes or ants (to reduce the swelling and to soothe the itching).

Is it true? If so, what's the mechanism of that help? If not, are there any "home remedies" that could help?

What do you think?

I've found this cure circulating around the Internet but beware, several people say they find vitamin B1 ineffective.

"Some studies suggest that taking thiamine (vitamin B1) 25mg to 50 mg three times per day is effective in reducing mosquito bites. This safe vitamin apparently produces a skin odor that is not detectable by humans, but is disagreeable to pregnant mosquitoes (Pediatric Clinics of North America, 16:191, 1969). It seems to be especially effective for those people with large allergic reactions. Thiamine takes about 2 weeks before the odor fully saturates the skin."

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2009 10:50:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums