The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is cold fusion possible?  (Read 9143 times)

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is cold fusion possible?
« Reply #25 on: 01/09/2009 12:42:28 »
Many country's efforts are concentrated around the Tokamak concept of maintaining a very hot plasma in a magnetic field with a toroidal magnet structure. Heat is gathered from the neutron flux resulting from the fusion by a thick surrounding jacket which then heats steam to drive turbines. So far the results have only been impressive to the people working on it!! They have only produced more energy than was put in for a very short time. The later developments are aimed to improve on this but I would concur with the 40 year time plan. The problems are engineering ones rather than being fundamental, but that is not to belittle them. The international ITER program is based on this I believe.

The main alternative is creating fusion by use of lasers, usually by firing the lasers inwards from a spherical surface to simultaneously heat and compress the fusible gases. This makes for very impressive equipment and, because of the potential rewards from creating a successful fusion reactor, attracts lots of funds. I can't help but be cynical about its prospects for being a commercial success as a means of producing power though.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is cold fusion possible?
« Reply #26 on: 01/09/2009 13:27:47 »
[...]
The main alternative is creating fusion by use of lasers, usually by firing the lasers inwards from a spherical surface to simultaneously heat and compress the fusible gases. This makes for very impressive equipment and, because of the potential rewards from creating a successful fusion reactor, attracts lots of funds. I can't help but be cynical about its prospects for being a commercial success as a means of producing power though.
It probably has greater success as a means to develop powerful lasers for military purposes...

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is cold fusion possible?
« Reply #27 on: 01/09/2009 14:43:26 »
And I thought I was cynical :-)

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Is cold fusion possible?
« Reply #28 on: 05/09/2009 18:36:57 »
Cold fusion does occur but not at energy levels enough to be useful.  The trick(catalyst) is to get the nucleii as close together as possible and keep them there for a very long time so the statistics of quantum mechanical tunnelling allow the fusion rection to happen.  This is done using a material that will adsorb (incorporate into its structure without chemical combination) small nucleii.  Palladium metal is particularly good at doing this and has been used as a way of storing hydrogen.

The existence of fusion is at a very low level is detected by the radiation of the spare neutrons as the duterium fuses to produce He3

Like high temperature superconductivity it may be necessary to design a reduced dimensional atomic structure that manages this very strongly and saturate it with duterium nucleii and there may just be a remote chance that a useful quantity of energy could be generated but catching it could be a problem so your fusion cell should be surrounded by a strong neutron absorber  to trap the enegy from the released neutrons and cooling to extract the fusion energy.

If it did work on a modest scale it could easily change the energy budget of the world.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is cold fusion possible?
« Reply #29 on: 05/09/2009 20:33:16 »
I thought France was building the first prototype that should be producing more energy than it consumes to run it.
Ah, yes, after having taken knowledge from the italian researchers who were working on it...

The Naked Scientists Forum

Is cold fusion possible?
« Reply #29 on: 05/09/2009 20:33:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums