The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is continental drift influenced by the earth's rotation?  (Read 10590 times)

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
Is continental drift influenced by the earth's rotation?
And if yes, why aren't all continents drifting in the same direction and towards the equator (centripetal force + equator is further away from the earth's center than the poles)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27/08/2009 16:58:06 »
I believe the answer is no. If the continents were under the influence of the earth's rotation, then North and South America would not be moving to the west. But more convincingly The Indian plate would not be moving north - it would be doing something different.

However, we rally need our resident mathematical genius, frethac, to answer this. As he is a whizz in calculus and divining the cumulative effects of angular momentum, I will lay this at his feet - the reason: the apparent motions may only be relative. I think he wil come up with the same answer I did.   

Offline frethack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2009 23:41:30 »
JimBob is dead wrong.  Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz were inspired by the devil and created calculus to torment those poor souls who dare study the sciences.

JimBob may also be right. Though the earth and its atmosphere do bulge somewhat around the equator, I believe rotational forces/effects are pretty weak when compared to forces such as gravity (the earth manages to hold together despite rotating at more than 1000 mph).  Im pretty certain that the crust would be far more affected by the dense, convecting rock/liquid beneath it.  The mantle and outer core convection could be effected, I suppose, since the inner core is rotating at a slightly faster rate, but there is a whole lot of heat and pressure down there, so the effect could be immeasurable if it exists at all.  Is there a geophysicist in the house?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/08/2009 02:30:14 »
The earth is slightly pear shaped - south of the equator.

And I don't WANT a geophysicist in the house. Period! (Full Stop!) They are more trouble than they are worth. Arrogant, argumentative, etc, etc.

I should know - I've worked with them all my working life and I have had one for a partner since December 1982. Everything is (to them) in the wiggles and the mathematical shenanigans they pull to get them looking nice.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/08/2009 09:27:22 »
And what, pray, is so bad about pear shaped?

Offline frethack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/08/2009 17:13:43 »
The earth is slightly pear shaped - south of the equator.

And I don't WANT a geophysicist in the house. Period! (Full Stop!) They are more trouble than they are worth. Arrogant, argumentative, etc, etc.

I should know - I've worked with them all my working life and I have had one for a partner since December 1982. Everything is (to them) in the wiggles and the mathematical shenanigans they pull to get them looking nice.

And obviously sedimentologists such as yourself are perfectly docile and non-argumentative creatures...hehehe.  Must have picked up a few habits during your contact with those nasty geophysicists!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/08/2009 18:32:52 »

And obviously sedimentologists such as yourself are perfectly docile and non-argumentative creatures...hehehe.  Must have picked up a few habits during your contact with those nasty geophysicists!

Don't you be frettin' 'bout OLD JimBob thar Frethack. He's just all awnry on account o' his burro kicked him in the goolies.

BTW, is it true that sedimentologists only listen to the Sedimental Strings of Mantovani?
« Last Edit: 29/08/2009 00:33:10 by Geezer »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29/08/2009 12:58:53 »
It is obvious that neither of you know that of which you speak.

I am a perfectly reasonable creature - frethak - forget the rib-eye for football Sunday night - it is beans and franks. (Bangers and beans for the Americanly-challenged among us.)

Oh, and Old Fart - er, Geezer, I never said that there was anything wrong with pear shaped. And 'un ting 'bot frethak that, he is just out and out ownry. He kicks himself in the 'nads so he'sa that'a way.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/09/2009 05:45:08 »
Aw, come on thar JamesRobert. You's just a mite pissed cos you didn't think up that Mantovani thang. C'mon now. Fess up. I'll buy you a beer!?
« Last Edit: 02/09/2009 05:51:13 by Geezer »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/09/2009 02:03:13 »
Geology is no joke, sir!!  Additionally, as a pretentious snob, I would NEVER listen to a musical wanna-be such as Mantovani.

But, as a pun, the lowest form of pastry, It may do.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/09/2009 07:30:55 »
I'm French. I surrender. Puns and pastry?

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #11 on: 03/09/2009 07:52:31 »
Quote from: frethack
I believe rotational forces/effects are pretty weak when compared to forces such as gravity (the earth manages to hold together despite rotating at more than 1000 mph).  Im pretty certain that the crust would be far more affected by the dense, convecting rock/liquid beneath it.

But aren't the convecting rock/liquid currents not affected by the earth core's rotation?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/09/2009 11:07:00 »

Buns - pastry (my God, the Scots are dense!)

Quote from: frethack
I believe rotational forces/effects are pretty weak when compared to forces such as gravity (the earth manages to hold together despite rotating at more than 1000 mph).  Im pretty certain that the crust would be far more affected by the dense, convecting rock/liquid beneath it.

But aren't the convecting rock/liquid currents not affected by the earth core's rotation?

Of course there is a slight effect, but when compared to the heat energy in the system these angular momentum forces are negligible.

And we always need to remember that convection currents, as with ALL scientific theories are only theories providing the best approximation we have now. Newton's theory of gravitation got us to the moon but the resulting science derived from the Apollo missions has shown that Newtonian motion of the planets is only a close approximation of their movement. The orbit of the moon calculated for the landings, based on Newton, was about 10 meters from the real orbit.

ALL science is only the best approximation at hand based on current state of knowledge.

Offline Geoman69

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04/09/2009 09:11:43 »
A more interesting question might be: "Is the Earth's rotation influenced by continental drift?"

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #14 on: 04/09/2009 10:56:00 »
If our days keep on being 24 hours, I'd say no.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04/09/2009 18:00:48 »

Pun = bun

do you get it now?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04/09/2009 18:02:42 »

The earth is slowing down - but for reasons NOT related to continental drift - it is Physics, angular momentum is being lost as the moon moves away from the earth

Offline Geoman69

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05/09/2009 19:20:40 »

Give it a few million years ;) .

Continental drift does have an effect on the rotation of the earth, and vice versa, but in both cases, it's negligible.

newbielink:http://www.springerlink.com/content/g882540x68085752/ [nonactive]

Unless you mess up your units  ;D
« Last Edit: 05/09/2009 19:23:57 by Geoman69 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17 on: 05/09/2009 19:20:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums