The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why When I Think Hard Do I Stick My Tongue Out ?  (Read 10037 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why When I Think Hard Do I Stick My Tongue Out ?
« on: 28/08/2009 11:48:55 »
Dearest Concentrateologiosts,

As a sheepy I of course luff to concentrate...there's nothing I like more than when I get up in the morning and know that I must concentrate on stuff !....look...here are some kids concentrating !

Some Kids Thinking Well Hard Earlier Today

nice eh ?

All being ferried off  to the circus next Tuesday !

Notice how hard they are concentrating !..it's not easy for them...see the way their tongues stick out ?

Why's that then ?...why do peeps stick their tongues out when concentrating ?..is the answer to be tasted in the air ? Is the answer on the tip of their tongues and needs oxygen

ewe see, it's Friday and I just do not know !..I'd like to know by Saturday if possible.

It's important as I suspect I'll have some concentrating to do on Saturday and i'd like to be safe in the knowledge as to why my  tongue might stick out.

It's important ewe know

hugs & shmsihes

mwah mwah mwah !!

neil
Tongue Lasher
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28/08/2009 12:00:18 »
Everyone seems to like this answer:

When you are concentrating on something, you are using the hemisphere of the brain also used for processing motor input. It's also noticeable that some people walk more slowly when they are thinking of something difficult. This is caused by interference from the two activities fighting for the same bit of brain to process them. By biting your lip or sticking your tongue out, you are suspending motor activity and keeping your head rigid, to minimise movement and hence interference.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/05/1070351773514.html?from=storyrhs

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/08/2009 12:20:37 »
Thanks Chemistry4me !...brill answer !

I notice that like my daughty I also stick my tongue out to the left when concentrating !..I wonder if this means anything !!...the other three chose to stick their tongues out to the right !......I don't think left or right handedness has anything to do with all as we are all right handed....

hmmm....I may not rest ever again until I know the answer to that !

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 28/08/2009 12:52:49 »
What a lovely family, Neil. Who do they take after?

I heard that the sticking the tongue out thing had something to do with 'rejecting' something unpleasant - like a bad tasting object in your mouth; you push it out with your tongue. Sounded like a reasonable explanation.

Offline GlentoranMark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/08/2009 15:17:45 »
Just PMSL at this.

My wife is playing the Wii with the kids and straight away the toungue went out.

Life will never be the same again  ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/08/2009 15:48:39 »
What a lovely family, Neil. Who do they take after?

I heard that the sticking the tongue out thing had something to do with 'rejecting' something unpleasant - like a bad tasting object in your mouth; you push it out with your tongue. Sounded like a reasonable explanation.

I trade ewe my family......pleeeeeeeeeeez !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/08/2009 15:50:25 »
Just PMSL at this.

My wife is playing the Wii with the kids and straight away the toungue went out.

Life will never be the same again  ;D

Yayyy !!

we all got our tongues out !!

*naive innocent unknowing sheep mode*...erhmm..*further embarrassed mode*...what does PMSL stand for ?

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28/08/2009 16:34:42 »
you could search http://www.urbandictionary.com/ for that answer neilep ;)

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28/08/2009 18:42:19 »

It's also noticeable that some people walk more slowly when they are thinking of something difficult

I do that. In fact I also drive slower when I'm deep in thought. Sometimes I slow down to a 20mph crawl and my wife has to prod me in the ribs. One day I'll get arrested for kerb crawling and the Judge will never believe me.

I always thought it was just because I'm too stupid to perform two tasks simultaneously. Or maybe it's because I'm so intelligent that my brain needs huge resources to contemplate such incredible musings. Nah. I think it's the first.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28/08/2009 19:18:15 »
you could search http://www.urbandictionary.com/ for that answer neilep ;)

LOL..I accidentally looked at PMSFL first and thought..."that can't be right'...then found the true definition...

big smiles here now !!...and thanks for the link  glovesforfoxes to that urban dictionary....wonderful !

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29/08/2009 14:00:43 »
Everyone seems to like this answer:

When you are concentrating on something, you are using the hemisphere of the brain also used for processing motor input. It's also noticeable that some people walk more slowly when they are thinking of something difficult. This is caused by interference from the two activities fighting for the same bit of brain to process them. By biting your lip or sticking your tongue out, you are suspending motor activity and keeping your head rigid, to minimise movement and hence interference.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/05/1070351773514.html?from=storyrhs

I don't like that answer.
Surely it's easier for us to not bother to stick our tongues out?
So why go to the trouble when what you are trying to do is conserve resources.

I prefer another answer. People stick their tongues out to show that they are unhappy about things- children do this a lot (most adults have learned that it's not polite). Gorillas do it too.
I think that the tongue sticking out of the corner of the mouth is a signal that people should go away and leave you to think.

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29/08/2009 16:27:49 »
Surely it's easier for us to not bother to stick our tongues out?
So why go to the trouble when what you are trying to do is conserve resources.

I prefer another answer. People stick their tongues out to show that they are unhappy about things- children do this a lot (most adults have learned that it's not polite). Gorillas do it too.
I think that the tongue sticking out of the corner of the mouth is a signal that people should go away and leave you to think.

And I don't like that answer!!

It's far too obscure.

When I was doing my A Levels I remember seeing a diagram of the human body where the body parts were drawn proportionally to the number of sensory and motor nerves present per square millimetre. The tongue was massive. It is highly versatile, being used for taste and odour, speech, erotic pursuits, is very sensitive to tactile detection, has a complicated muscle structure and can easily change shape and has an incredible range of movement control. I think it is a large draw on the brainís resources.

If you are trying to concentrate on a complicated task, particularly if it involves both motor and sensory functions, such as many creative pursuits do, holding your tongue in one position eliminates much nervous traffic to and from the brain. The brain soon adapts to the limited signals of a tongue held still and the signals effectively disappear, leaving you to concentrate on playing the piano, or whatever.

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29/08/2009 17:24:38 »
Aha. I've just found this. BBC Focus Magazine

Quote from: BBC Focus Magazine

Why do I stick out my tongue when I concentrate?

Much of your brain is devoted to your tongue. It is a huge muscle, constantly moving, that has to keep out of the way of your teeth, help you swallow and avoid choking you. Itís covered with densely packed touch receptors that constantly update the mental map of the shape of your mouth. And your tongue is connected to the brainís language centres so it often moves to partly form word shapes as you think. All this sends a huge stream of data to your brain. Sticking your tongue out or biting it, reduces its movement and cuts down on this torrent, which leaves more brain-power available to concentrate.

By the way, Focus Magazine do an interesting monthly science podcast. Not as good as Naked Scientist, though, but well listening to.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02/09/2009 17:26:26 »
Funny pictures Neily!

Nice answer C4M!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 02/09/2009 17:26:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums