The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: NO LONGER REQUIRED - Definition of Strain-To-Failure in materials science  (Read 4615 times)

Offline pkgem

• First timers
    • View Profile
Thanks to all those who looked at my query below but I now have my answer so no longer require further assistance. Cheers - Gem
-------

Hi,

I am doing an assignment for my final project for my Open University degree. I am doing it on cellulose bionanocomposites. I'm doing ok with the "normal" chemistry but I am struggling with some of the material science. Some of the papers I have researched report upon the "strain-to-failure" of the bionanocomposite films they have produced. I know that strain-to-failure measures the amount of strain a solid material can withstand before it "fails", is calculated from measurements gained from stress-strain curves and is expressed as a percentage. What I don't understand is what the percentage is actually measuring - what is it a percentage of? I have performed google searches and looked through the material science books I have to hand but have received no joy. Please can anyone help me?

Many thanks,
Gemma
« Last Edit: 05/09/2009 08:58:03 by pkgem »

Offline rogelio

• First timers
    • View Profile
I won't answer your question but to give you adivice try looking at civil engineering books because that topic is very relative to the course.they are very concern to that!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length