The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is addiction ?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
What is addiction ?
« on: 28/08/2005 23:37:04 »
What makes a drug physically addictive.
Is possible to remove the addictive element of a drug and still leave the part that the people take it for.

Offline gecko

• View Profile
Re: What is addiction ?
« Reply #1 on: 29/08/2005 01:19:57 »
"Is possible to remove the addictive element of a drug and still leave the part that the people take it for."

people take it for the addiction. i mean you could say if heroin wasnt physically addictive then people would only take it because it makes them feel good. its still addictive, just psychologicly. one can say marijuana and mushrooms arent addictive, but anything can be addictive, including wearing clothing, exercise, social interactions, etc. even if one doesnt get sick when they dont have them

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 02/09/2005 17:53:13 »
Here's a link to a radio show made earlier this year about the science of addiction including drug addiction, gambling addiction, and anti-addiction vaccines with addiction expert Prof. Barry Everitt. These issues are discussed in the show.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline MissB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2005 08:54:50 »
From my drug counseling education, what makes herion addictive is the damage it does to the brain, seratonin and receptors. I don't remember exactly how it works anymore, but herion replaces serotonin and then it's not produced. If you take away the heroin, there's nothing left to replace it therefore you need the heroin or methadone here in the states.

You docs can correct me as needed. It's been a while since I've been in school.

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2005 14:39:11 »
There is physical and physological addiction. It is best to assume that both are present and treat both. We often get ourselves hooked because we feel that there is something missing from our lives. But many drugs, can become physically adictive such as Herion and crack cocain.

Many people try drugs and are impressed with the feelings, and unimpressed with the risk because the anti-drug people don't explain it well. It takes a while to become physically addicted to most drugs and some people don't get addicted. Alchole and tobacco are mild durgs that some peole never get addicted to. But due to their wide spread use, we have a big bunch of alcholics on the road and in our homes. (My ex-wife's mother was a closet alcholic, didn't drink when her husband was home.) and a bunch of very nervious smokers that need their hourly fix. For those people, the drug becomes more important than the others in their lives.

But assuming you are not going to become addicted is like playing Russian Rollette. And the use of one drug can decrease your risk taking adversion. MJ is one of those.

Crack cocaine is scary because one in ten people who try it become physically addected the first time they use it. I don't know the numbers but Herion is similar with some people becoming almost immediatly addicted. And everyone has heard of crack babies, infants born addicted to their mother's crack habit. They don't fair well in life.

So physicological circumstances can lead to drug use, and repeated drug use can lead to addiction. And some drugs take less time than others to alter your body so that they become  essencial to your well being. You go for the really hard drugs and you are throwing your life away, and maybe the lives of those around you.

David
« Last Edit: 10/09/2005 14:41:10 by David Sparkman »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2005 14:39:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums