The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Quartz and other crystals  (Read 6654 times)

Offline Tronix

• View Profile
Quartz and other crystals
« on: 29/08/2005 17:41:10 »
I got some quartz sifted out from sand (at least im prettz sure its quartz, its semi opaque and is white and "oily" looking). And i was wondering if i could do anythign with it. To answer that question in need to humble request some information.

1. How does quartz form, and what makes it different from other crystals.

2. What is its chemical makeup exactly?

3. What properites does it have (like whats its melting point, does it react with other crystals, explode in sulfuric acid?)

these are big vauge questions, but i appriciate all attempts, big or samll, at answering. thanks.

--------------------------------------------
"If i cannot have company whose minds are clearly free, I would prefer to go alone."                  -Dr. Gideon Lincecum

The BPRD rejected my application becuase their brain-controled by Cthulhu Rip-offs. And im sure "Sparky" is sleeping with them too, kinky little firecracker she is...

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Re: Quartz and other crystals
« Reply #1 on: 31/08/2005 13:45:44 »
Quartz is made of SiO2 and has a similar (tetragonal) structure to diamond with the Si atoms where the Carbons are in diamond (each one is linked to 4 others), but with an oxygen atoms in the middle of each bond.

It is made in two different ways, it can freeze out of the melt in igneous rocks - mainly in granites, some of the white clear lumps in granites are quartz. However the bigger lumps are made when silica (SiO2) dissolves in hot water and then very slowly crystalises in gaps or fissures in the rock.

Quartz is notoriously unreactive - you can only dissolve it significantly fast in Hydroflouric acid - which is very nasty stuff. It is fairly transparent to UV which is why they make UV lenses out of it.

Offline Tronix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/08/2005 23:57:00 »
thank you much dave. If it has oxygen in it, is it flamable then? (shows how much chemistry i know).

--------------------------------------------
"If i cannot have company whose minds are clearly free, I would prefer to go alone."                  -Dr. Gideon Lincecum

The BPRD rejected my application becuase their brain-controled by Cthulhu Rip-offs. And im sure "Sparky" is sleeping with them too, kinky little firecracker she is...

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: 01/09/2005 10:58:53 »
It has oxygen in it in the same way as carbon-dioxide has oxygen in it - basically it has already burnt so you won't get very far...

Offline younggun

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/04/2006 02:31:48 »
If you slam or rub to quarts crystles togethet they
will give a yellow glow.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 24/04/2006 02:31:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums