The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Ed Witten is considered as Einstein's true successor ?  (Read 4678 times)

ScientificBoysClub

Why Ed Witten is considered as Einstein's true successor ?

Many physicist considered Ed Witten as true successor of Einstein, why ?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/2009 00:19:47 »
Dont know ed witten and you have not explained the context so can't reply without further clarification.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/09/2009 06:00:23 »
Witten is one of (if not the) most successful and influential string theorists and his work has had a great deal of influence in mathematics as well as in physics.  If you believe that string theory will end up being the successor to general relativity, then Witten is quite possibly the biggest name in the field.  I'm not sure comparing physicists who lived half a century apart and worked on different theories makes much sense, but Witten is certainly an important figure in modern physics and mathematics.

ScientificBoysClub

« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2009 09:51:17 »
Dont know ed witten and you have not explained the context so can't reply without further clarification.
I know him, He is cool at string theory. He has solved some problems in string theory. Like we used to have problem in Unifying the Laws of fundamental forces of Nature.

We have successfully unified, with the help of his math concepts. I don't know his biography but only something about him..

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2009 16:21:17 »
He's the 'inventor' of M-theory, the theory that unites the 5 string theories that were theorized before M-theory

ScientificBoysClub

« Reply #5 on: 10/09/2009 17:31:20 »
If you really don't want to reply why do u make comments like this ...??
Just live me alone ..

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #6 on: 15/09/2009 23:46:47 »
You must not assume that everyone knows all the facts that you do and when you pose a question it is important to include some context.  OK I could easily have googled the name and found this out but I do feel that you should have expressed this yourself.

I can now answer your question.  I do not deny the great skills and insight of the mathematics behind string theory and am reasonably sure that some aspects of it are important but until such theories are proved to link into our observations of the universe I would not think that this ultimate accolade should be awarded.  Also in modern science a major discovery is very seldom down to a single person and to fail to  include the full chain of contributors is bad.  Most of the great scientists recognise the work of others.
« Last Edit: 15/09/2009 23:54:12 by Soul Surfer »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 15/09/2009 23:46:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums