The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are You Gooder at Grammar?  (Read 3669 times)

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
Are You Gooder at Grammar?
« on: 11/09/2009 14:34:51 »
This is my test result.  ;D  [^]

Your Language Arts Grade: 100%
Way to go!  You know not to trust the MS Grammar Check and you know "no" from "know."  Now, go forth and spread the good word (or at least, the proper use of apostrophes).

There's a mistake in this test, too! Check out question 10! FOG

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/2009 14:54:07 »
yES i Is an goodun wiff me granma"
yew sea, i nose wot im dunning wen It combs two speeling n posch rittin an i no were ta bung ful stopes apostrafees kwotashun marcs n fings lick that

if ya do it al the tim ya git usd two it an i cumes natrallly
i ave ta say tha you bein a germaner ave got an very gode comand ov the englisH lingo im sirprized you is soo gode at it did ya leern enGlish over ere in englan or where ya learned it at skool in deutzland see i is even kapaball of speelin in germany

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/09/2009 21:35:52 »
Thank you, errr fank yoo, to try a poor imitation of a cockney accent...

I did learn English at school, my teacher at that time was really good, of course I didn't appreciated it at that time, but she managed to build a proper foundation.
At university at least some knowledge of English is mandatory, some books are only available in English. After stenuously reading a linguistic book (about symbolic and nonverbal communication) in English, I figured that I'm good at it. (Linguistic books are hard to read even in my native language, those authors tend to define their own vocabulary, it seems to be a personality trait of linguists. Humpty-Dumpty must have been one. ;D )

I do read a lot English language books, that helps to build a good passive vocabulary. And writing in forums like this helps to build and keep active language skills. And I never hesitate to inflict bad grammar on unsuspecting readers/listeners, mwaaahaaahaaahaaaa.

I was active in a mostly English-speaking online chat community, when I became a moderator there, I had to speak/write English. That job sometimes felt like being a mediator and social worker. Lets say I now have command of quite a lot 4 letter words... On the other hand I made a lot friends too, we even met in the real world. I still visit some of them in England and Scottland.

*shudder* Cockney is my least favority accent, it's next to impossible for me to understand.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/09/2009 01:46:25 »
I still visit some of them in England and Scottland.

You understand Scots ? ...
 :)

"Pairt twa" (part two) ...
feature=related
« Last Edit: 13/09/2009 01:52:12 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/09/2009 05:59:07 »
You understand Scots ? ...

Right pal, what's yer expletive problem then, eh? Think yer a wise man, eh? Y'wana square go? A'll gie ye an expletive square go, ya wee expletive.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/09/2009 06:20:22 »
Right pal, what's yer expletive problem then, eh? Think yer a wise man, eh? Y'wana square go? A'll gie ye an expletive square go, ya wee expletive.

Sounds like you would appreciate (and be able to translate) this video ...
« Last Edit: 13/09/2009 06:24:06 by RD »

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/09/2009 10:46:39 »
Gaaaaaaaah!!! Scots!!!! Those youtube videos are great.

I can do fine with Scottish accents, but Scots has so many different words (lexicon in linguistic parlance). For whatever reason Scottish accents are easier for me than southern English accents like Cockney.
Luckily for me most people can switch to a pronunciation closer to received pronunciation.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #7 on: 13/09/2009 12:40:34 »
On the last night of the Henry Wood Proms, US born conductor. David Robertson, said one of the first things he learned when coming to the UK was the use of adverbs. Quote 'They haven't reached the west coast of California yet'.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13/09/2009 17:24:33 »

Sounds like you would appreciate (and be able to translate) this video ...
Thanks for the link! I found it a few months back, and I love it. I had to watch it about five times to be able to translate all of it. I'm from the Glasgow area, and Fife is about 60 miles from there, so the patter and accent is quite different. If you enjoyed that one, you might also enjoy Rikki Fulton's "Last Call". His character is The Rev. I. M. Jolly

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13/09/2009 17:37:47 »
Gaaaaaaaah!!! Scots!!!! Those youtube videos are great.

I can do fine with Scottish accents, but Scots has so many different words (lexicon in linguistic parlance). For whatever reason Scottish accents are easier for me than southern English accents like Cockney.
Luckily for me most people can switch to a pronunciation closer to received pronunciation.

The Scots and Germans use very similar pronunciation. For example, it's almost impossible for many people in England to say Loch Lomond properly. It usually sounds like Lock Lomond. Anything with rolling "r" sounds is usually a disaster. But I suspect you can pronounce Loch without a problem. My knowledge of German is pathetic, but I can still order a couple of beers in Germany without anyone detecting I'm not actually German. I do speak a little French, but whenever I say anything in France, they immediately hand me the English menu!

BTW, did you know you can only get a job as an announcer at the BBC if you have a speech impediment  :D
« Last Edit: 13/09/2009 17:40:31 by Geezer »

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13/09/2009 20:02:01 »

The Scots and Germans use very similar pronunciation. For example, it's almost impossible for many people in England to say Loch Lomond properly. It usually sounds like Lock Lomond. Anything with rolling "r" sounds is usually a disaster. But I suspect you can pronounce Loch without a problem. My knowledge of German is pathetic, but I can still order a couple of beers in Germany without anyone detecting I'm not actually German. I do speak a little French, but whenever I say anything in France, they immediately hand me the English menu!

The ability of ordering beer is the most important of all in any language, but who wants French beers...  ;D

Yes, the sound of /ch/ is the same in German and in Scottish English and in Scots. We have the word Loch in German too, it means hole. So both words have the same germanic origin. Scots has retained a lot of the old skandinavian and germanic words and word stems, that got lost in English due to the normanic invasion. The Scottish Gaelic words used in Scots throw me all the time, though.

I can't do the rrrrrrrolling "r".

BTW, did you know you can only get a job as an announcer at the BBC if you have a speech impediment  :D

Heeheeheehee I quite like the way the old style BBC announcers spoke. On the other hand, what's wrong with knowing where the announcers come from, as long as everyone can understand them.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13/09/2009 21:11:23 »
When I was a kid (this was a very long time ago) we went on vacation to France by car. My dad's Vauxhall blew a cylinder head gasket while we were heading back to Calais to get the ferry to Dover. So we limped along and finally arrived in Dover.

My father asked a customs officer where the nearest Vauxhall dealer was. The guy said
"Oh, you want Seven Alters Garage. Just ask anyone in Dover and they'll give you directions."

After about an hour and a half and talking to lots of people, nobody had ever heard of Seven Alters Garage. Eventually one gent asked what kind of car it was.

"Oh!" he said, "You want Southern Autos Garage!"

True story.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 13/09/2009 21:11:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length