The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do We Live In A Left-to-Right World ?  (Read 5036 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Do We Live In A Left-to-Right World ?
« on: 12/09/2009 12:19:02 »
Dearest Clockwiseologists and all those interested in Left-to-Right orientated stuff.

As a sheepy, I of course luff chasing my tail like mad dogs !...alas..after a few minutes it will not reward me with a salad !

Check out these people at a salad bar :

People At A Salad Bar

More Peeps Enjoying Salad Bar Luff

I observed these people come and go throughout an evening and noticed that they all went round the salad bar in a clockwise direction !

why's that then?...do we have left to right proclivities ?..we read from left to right (though I am aware that some cultures do not)...clocks go from left to right..........four members of the family that I asked to indicate 'No' also shook their heads commencing with a LEFT shake !!!....why's that then ?

Have we all been programmed ?..is a ' left/right handness thing ?

Ewe see...I would like to know this please....if ewe tell me I will know and will be just as klevur as ewe.

hugs & Shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !

Neil
Bothered About Left-To-Right
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/2009 13:31:51 »
I just think it is drilled in as a rule of order to keep the obvious collisions from happening...Just like mentioned its ingrained in us from childhood in schools.. form a line from left to right or clockwise...LOL...Like you mentioned.. I believe it may be a left to right handedness thing....I think that is a clever guessing, answer you gave to your question...

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/09/2009 23:10:19 »
You have asked a question on which the beaver can shed some light, and the light that is shed may surprise you.

In occult & Pagan thinking clockwise & anti-clockwise have always had a major significance. If one wanted to invoke good spirits, one danced clockwise (deosil) around a fire. To invoke bad spirits, one danced anti-clockwise (widdershins). Over the centuries, as Paganism largely died out, this developed into a belief that dancing anti-clockwise would bring bad luck (there are, in fact, many superstitions that have their root in Pagan beliefs). While this train of thought has long since disappeared, apart from in occult or Pagan circles, walking around something like that salad bar in a clockwise direction is the result of many generations of learned behaviour. If that's the way your parents always did it, you probably will too without even giving it a conscious thought. Your parents learned it from their parents, etc., right back to medieval times or beyond.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2009 23:12:32 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/09/2009 23:40:28 »
That is really cool information Eth. Very cool indeed!  You always have the cool Low down on interesting odd facts.. reminds me of George.... He did too. :(
« Last Edit: 13/09/2009 13:31:33 by Karen W. »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 13/09/2009 11:59:32 »
Could this have anything to do with the way our eyes work?

I recall something about 3D TV where if the camera pans slowly to the left, it gives a 3D effect on the screen. This is because our left eye "sees" a fraction of a second before our right eye.

Please feel free to correct me if this is a load of old twaddle.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #5 on: 13/09/2009 16:39:05 »
Next time i go to my local harvester i will see what happens if i go the otherway.

Hopefully time will not unravel allowing me to report back. :)

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/09/2009 18:11:22 »
In the US one travels around a round-about in a counterclockwise direction.
Maybe that is why I don't like them.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13/09/2009 18:55:32 »
I just think it is drilled in as a rule of order to keep the obvious collisions from happening...Just like mentioned its ingrained in us from childhood in schools.. form a line from left to right or clockwise...LOL...Like you mentioned.. I believe it may be a left to right handedness thing....I think that is a clever guessing, answer you gave to your question...

Thank ewe Kareny Mam. i too think it's an ingrained thing and I appreciate that ewe can see that I have thunk about some answers of my own too !..I do that ewe know..I think about stuff !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13/09/2009 18:59:22 »
You have asked a question on which the beaver can shed some light, and the light that is shed may surprise you.

In occult & Pagan thinking clockwise & anti-clockwise have always had a major significance. If one wanted to invoke good spirits, one danced clockwise (deosil) around a fire. To invoke bad spirits, one danced anti-clockwise (widdershins). Over the centuries, as Paganism largely died out, this developed into a belief that dancing anti-clockwise would bring bad luck (there are, in fact, many superstitions that have their root in Pagan beliefs). While this train of thought has long since disappeared, apart from in occult or Pagan circles, walking around something like that salad bar in a clockwise direction is the result of many generations of learned behaviour. If that's the way your parents always did it, you probably will too without even giving it a conscious thought. Your parents learned it from their parents, etc., right back to medieval times or beyond.

Thank Ewe Dr Beave

Beave is Klevur. he knows lots of stuff.

I really appreciate the historical references too.....Woo !!..they were well superstitious back then....but....they must have taken a conscious decision to go from left to right....why ?..Is there some texts somewhere that evil likes right to left ?... Thank ewe for your kind consideration in this matter !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13/09/2009 18:59:46 »
That is really cool information Eth. Very cool indeed!  You always have the cool Low down on interesting odd facts.. reminds me of George.... He did too. :(

Eth is like...well kewl !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13/09/2009 19:03:31 »
Could this have anything to do with the way our eyes work?

I recall something about 3D TV where if the camera pans slowly to the left, it gives a 3D effect on the screen. This is because our left eye "sees" a fraction of a second before our right eye.

Please feel free to correct me if this is a load of old twaddle.

hmmm..thanks ewe Mr Don. Just curious as to why our left eye sees things before our right ?..well, I can appreciate that things coming from the left would be visible first but would that not also apply to the right eye for stuff coming from the right ?

I appreciate the offer to correct you for free though !...When I actually know something I will do my best to apply it to something ewe have said that I deem incorrect !!.....I luff freebies !!..YAYYYYYYYYYY !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13/09/2009 19:08:15 »
Next time i go to my local harvester i will see what happens if i go the otherway.

Hopefully time will not unravel allowing me to report back. :)

Harvester is really good value...their unlimited salad bar with nice hot rolls is really good for  a family of six.

Of course as a sheepy, we just go there for a single kids starter at 1.99 then spends the whole night eating salad. I plan to have all my children's wedding receptions there..chortle chortle guffaw guffaw !..a hundred guests all for 1.99 !!..yayy !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13/09/2009 19:10:13 »
In the US one travels around a round-about in a counterclockwise direction.
Maybe that is why I don't like them.

I thought ewe guys didn't have roundabouts !!!....gosh !!..so ewe do then....I've been four times and I do not recall seeing them.....but I can understand why ewe go round that way though ..it's because ewe drive on the wrong side of the road !!  ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 13/09/2009 19:10:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums