The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Which Way Does Water Go Down A Plug Hole In Space ?  (Read 4541 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Plugholeologists,

Happy Sunday evening.
 How are ewe all ?..are ewe all having your baths and showers ?...that's nice !

As a sheepy I of course enjoy a bath about once a year...that's more than enuff for me.

I've been thinking that I might apply to be an astrosheep and thus I naturally need to know which way the water will go down the plug hole in a space station which rotates and has artificial gravity like that one in that 2001 fim ! On Earth we have a thing called the coriolis effect...does that apply to space ships ?

Look, here's a plug hole.

A plug Hole With water Going Down It

So, pending successful application to become an astrosheep on a revolving 2001 space ship...which way will the water go down the plug hole ?

I wish I knew....please help as it may be one of the questions I get asked !

Hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

neil
Potential Astrosheep
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 14/09/2009 00:31:13 by neilep »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Which Way Does Water Go Down A Plug Hole In Space ?
« Reply #1 on: 14/09/2009 01:01:19 »
That's a relief. When I read the title of your question I thought you had found THE ACTUAL PLUG HOLE IN SPACE! I was going to tell you, whatever you do, under no circumstances remove the plug.

Sorry I can't answer your question though.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/09/2009 19:36:36 »
What! No answers yet? Oh well......

Contrary to popular belief, water does not go down the plug hole in the opposite directions in the UK and the antipodes (where all those nice sheep hang out). The Coriolis Effect is, apparently, too weak, and other factors determine the direction of circulation.

Soooooo, I would hazard a guess that the same situation would apply on a space station with artificial gravity. In other words, the direction of circulation will be determined by other factors such as the shape of the sink and the plumbing arrangements.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/09/2009 19:39:53 »
What! No answers yet? Oh well......

Contrary to popular belief, water does not go down the plug hole in the opposite directions in the UK and the antipodes (where all those nice sheep hang out). The Coriolis Effect is, apparently, too weak, and other factors determine the direction of circulation.

Soooooo, I would hazard a guess that the same situation would apply on a space station with artificial gravity. In other words, the direction of circulation will be determined by other factors such as the shape of the sink and the plumbing arrangements.

THANK Ewe Mr Geezer Sir....and thank ewe for your original post too.

I appreciate your wisdom here and will report back to ewe once I get up there. The first thing I will do is make a wee wee and then wash my hands and note the way the water goes down the hole !

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/09/2009 23:22:10 »
Would there even be a  Coriolis effect on the space ship?

Wether the ship is turning clockwise or counterclockwise would depend on if one was facing the bow or the stern.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/09/2009 00:34:20 »
Would there even be a  Coriolis effect on the space ship?

Wether the ship is turning clockwise or counterclockwise would depend on if one was facing the bow or the stern.

Well this is what I wondered !...but perhaps the Universe is spinning ?...the milky way is yes ?...could that just have like a mega coriolis effect ?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/09/2009 01:02:25 »
In space no-one can hear you flush ...

A space toilet looks like the regular washroom version, but there the resemblance ends. Aim is no less important during calls of Nature than it is on Earth, so leg restraints, thigh bars and foot straps are added to the system to hold an astronaut in place. And there is no flush, a pointless feature for a toilet in microgravity because water would travel everywhere but where it was meant to go.
http://www.ergoweb.com/news/detail.cfm?id=2124

Water in space floats about in spheres ...
feature=related

(see alka seltzer @ 2:00)
« Last Edit: 15/09/2009 01:11:50 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/09/2009 01:07:03 »
Water in space floats about in spheres ...
feature=related

(see alka seltzer @ 2:00)

wooo !!..how do they do that ?..it's kewl !..I wanna make a water sphere too !..thanks RD

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 15/09/2009 01:07:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums