The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Does Flat Sparkling Water Still Taste Like It's Fizzy ?  (Read 11239 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Sparkling Waterologists,...and lovers of EAU !!

As a sheepy I of course like nothing more than sparkling water. Out of all the water that is effervescently bubbly...sparkling is my all time favourite.

look here's some

Nice eh  ?

A case full being delivered next Tuesday

Why is that when sparkling water is de-sparkled ie: lost all it's fizz that it still has that taste of sparkling water ?..does this mean that it's not pure water ?....what is the taste that is still there ?

If possible could you let me know soon as I have to give a talk at a symposium regarding the nature of 'how to make rock cakes then climb them'....and I am sure that this question will surface !

I would ask my neighbour to aid me in some empirical research but he has been taken away ' on holiday' by some nice people in white coats. They say he will be back soon...I can't wait cos I have lots of kweshuns to ask him.

Anyway, I hope ewe can help

hugs & Shmishes

mwah mwah !!

neil
I Love Eau
xxxxxxxxx

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why Does Flat Sparkling Water Still Taste Like It's Fizzy ?
« Reply #1 on: 14/09/2009 16:47:21 »
Well Neil, although your sparkling water may have lost it's fizz, there will still be more dissolved CO2 in there than in water that's never been sparking.  You could probably test this by putting some indicator solution (made from red cabbages in water) into your flat beverage, and comparing it to never-been-sparking water.  The ex-sparkling one will be more acidic, so the cabbage water should be more red.

Of course, this will make your flat-but-used-to-be-sparkling drink taste of cabbages.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/09/2009 11:30:14 »
Well Neil, although your sparkling water may have lost it's fizz, there will still be more dissolved CO2 in there than in water that's never been sparking.  You could probably test this by putting some indicator solution (made from red cabbages in water) into your flat beverage, and comparing it to never-been-sparking water.  The ex-sparkling one will be more acidic, so the cabbage water should be more red.

Of course, this will make your flat-but-used-to-be-sparkling drink taste of cabbages.

woo !!..Thank ewe Ben for the great information.

I actually like the taste of flat sparkling water ! (Hmmm is that an oxymoron ?)...So it's CO2 eh ? the norty gas...should be prosecuted for vagrancy !

As a firm believer of empirical study I snuk into my neighbours house at 3am this morning and then I realised he was still away. Anyway, raiding his fridge all i could find was some funny sparkling water called Bollinger & Moet & chandon !!!!  I know not what it is but it looks good....Not wanting to stain my wool I of course had to use all his savile row shirts as I carefully splashed my way through a gallon of red cabbage fun water. Ewe're right !...it worked perfectly...and I only needed all six cases of his sparkling water stuff and 5 shirts !

I left him a note thanking him. I know he will be delighted !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/09/2009 17:10:57 »
Dearest Sparkling Waterologists,...and lovers of EAU !!

As a sheepy I of course like nothing more than sparkling water. Out of all the water that is effervescently bubbly...sparkling is my all time favourite.

look here's some

Nice eh  ?

A case full being delivered next Tuesday

Why is that when sparkling water is de-sparkled ie: lost all it's fizz that it still has that taste of sparkling water ?..does this mean that it's not pure water ?....what is the taste that is still there ?

If possible could you let me know soon as I have to give a talk at a symposium regarding the nature of 'how to make rock cakes then climb them'....and I am sure that this question will surface !

I would ask my neighbour to aid me in some empirical research but he has been taken away ' on holiday' by some nice people in white coats. They say he will be back soon...I can't wait cos I have lots of kweshuns to ask him.

Anyway, I hope ewe can help

hugs & Shmishes

mwah mwah !!

neil
I Love Eau
xxxxxxxxx

I have never drank sparkling water before.. I think I must try it!

I may however leave out the red cabbage and just eat it alone! LOL.... Especially the heart!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 15/09/2009 17:10:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums