The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Life after death?  (Read 5284 times)

Offline shock26

• First timers
    • View Profile
Life after death?
« on: 31/08/2005 17:38:04 »
Do u think there is life after death? I often think what will i come back as. :D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Life after death?
« Reply #1 on: 31/08/2005 18:42:37 »
I personally dont think there is....the universe existed for billions of years before i came along and will continue after i've gone too....HEY !!..it's not all doom and gloom though....it was nice and sunny today eh ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 31/08/2005 19:48:21 »
In that the material and energy that I contain will be reused in future forms of life YES! :D In fact I imagine I have be reincarnated through the public water/sewage systems several times over :D

wOw the world spins?

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/08/2005 20:18:43 »
So you can expect to be multiply reincarnated even before you die!  That's a comfort :D

Offline Tizzit

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/09/2005 20:42:02 »
I have a son that died twice when he was 8 years old after a road accident.  He remembers going over to the other side and being told to come back as his time had not yet come.
Since the accident, he has had a scar just under his right ribs (not caused by the accident) which looks like a bullet wound.  He also appears to have memories of being in the Vet War as an American.
So I suppose I will have to say that I believe in Life after death.
How do Mediums come up with information about dead people and their families if they are not being told by the person who is coming through.

Nice to meet you all!

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/09/2005 19:06:34 »
Hi Tizzit, nice to meet you too :)

I'm a bit doubtful about an afterlife, I don't see how it could work and haven't seen any convincing evidence to support the idea.  Still, it would be nice!

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/09/2005 20:42:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ruzz5000

were are all these soul comin from my i ask?

Promoted ants, mate.  It's yer Karmic cycle you see, if your a very good ant you come back as a human and so on up the ladder (till you get to three-toed sloth, after that there's just nirvana and oneness with the universe).

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 19/09/2005 21:26:28 »
I thought the whole idea was that you took on the role that would lead your soul through a new experience which was required to balance your karma? So it’s not about working your way up from the bottom, or that there is a bottom ;) but more about attaining a complete sense of existence within the universe through living as many lives as required…

wOw the world spins?

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/09/2005 20:52:18 »
You're probably right, most of my Buddhist philosophy has been picked up piecemeal in the street while edging away, nodding and smiling nervously.

Still, I'm pretty sure being an ant is in there somewhere so my soul supply hypothesis is still sound.

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/09/2005 23:54:12 »
I've read somewhere that no physical part of a person - none of the cells, molecules, atoms, electrons, quarks or whatever - has been part of that person for more than about 10 years.  (Well, I think it was in the region of 10 years or so - I think I might have read it in Bill Bryson's "Short History of Nearly Everything" - an absolutely brilliant book that I would recommend to anyone, by the way.)

The loss of cells and rebuilding of new ones, the metabolism of the body, excretion/expiration of materials from the body, exchange of electrons via touching things, etc., means that within 10 years I can say that no part of me will still exist as part of me anymore.  But these particles will be part of other people and/or part of inanimate matter throughout the world (and the rest of the universe).

Which, I suggest, leads to 3 results:

1) Reincarnation is true - but it's happening all the time, not just after you're dead.

2) We really are all connected to the rest of the universe, I am part of everything and everything is part of me, there really is a universal "essence" that is made up of all of us, and everything in the universe really is connected or shared in some way.

3) I can be really naughty and do bad things, but I only have to wait 10 years and I can honestly say, hand on heart, "Not guilty, m'lud, it was nothing to do with me".

(My favourite of these 3 results is the 3rd one, of course.)

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21/09/2005 22:32:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by Solvay_1927

3) I can be really naughty and do bad things, but I only have to wait 10 years and I can honestly say, hand on heart, "Not guilty, m'lud, it was nothing to do with me".

(My favourite of these 3 results is the 3rd one, of course.)

Yes but statistically at least some of the guilty atoms will have rejoined you, along with atoms from hitler, stalin and the bee gees.

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22/09/2005 05:37:03 »
I bequeith myself to the soil to grow the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles,
You wil hardly know who I am or what I mean,
But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fiber your blood.

Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged,
Missing me one place search another,
I stop somewhere waiting for you.

-Walt Whitman: "Leaves of Grass"

The two parts of a human being.
David
« Last Edit: 22/09/2005 05:38:22 by David Sparkman »

Offline johndiver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22/09/2005 15:02:58 »
Because we are sexual, not a-sexual, creatures we "live on" via our genes. Our bodies are disposable from the view of our genes, we are a life-support system for their replication.
Therefore ... there is life after death only for chromosomes.

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23/09/2005 13:30:46 »
In response to Simmer's reply of a couple of days ago:

I was deeply offended, and rather perturbed, by your suggestion that I might one day contain some atoms that were once part of the Bee Gees.

But what if you're right?  How can I stop this from happening?

I'm worried that whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother, you're stayin' alive, stayin' alive ... oh s**t, no, it's too late. AAARRGGHH!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 23/09/2005 13:30:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums