The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does a Revojet work?  (Read 15969 times)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How does a Revojet work?
« Reply #25 on: 17/09/2009 13:07:42 »
I really "luffed" (as Neil might say) Patrick Moore.

Should be "luff": he's still at it ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/skyatnight/proginfo.shtml
« Last Edit: 17/09/2009 13:09:34 by RD »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
How does a Revojet work?
« Reply #26 on: 17/09/2009 13:37:07 »
Copyright wouldn't have been an issue with regard to images of the aircraft as it is not the appearance of the aircraft that has been copyrighted but its design.  Were appearance to be copyrighted it would prevent anyone from producing photographs, paintings or drawings of anything that was manufactured. 

A drawing / painting “inspired by” a copyrighted design would be a derivative work and could infringe the original copyright if not sufficiently different from the original.

This would be true only if the copyrighted design was also a drawing/painting.  For copyright to be infringed in the case of an aircraft, the derivative work would also have to be an aircraft.  In this case, when we compare the two works, we find that one work is an aircraft and the other work is an image so there's no possibility of mistaking one for the other; you wouldn't try to board a picture to fly somewhere and you would try to hang an aircraft on your wall.

The 'Comet' name is, or would have been, copyrighted though.

If that was so everytime Sir Patrick Moore used the word "Comet" in his astronomy books he would have to obtain permission from the copright-holder and pay a reproduction fee to use the word.

Ok - I'll treat this comment seriously.  Copyright doesn't apply to words but names.  If you started marketing a computer operating system named 'Windows' MS would come down on you in an instant, but they can't stop people from incorporating windows in their homes, or indeed, companies that make window frames/window parts from incorporating the word 'windows' in their company name e.g. Premier Windows Ltd. (this is a real company, but I won't include a link to prove it as it would be spam).  Microsoft can't even prevent other computer operating systems from using features named 'windows' in their interfaces.

Attempts have been made to copyright words, and even letters: Microsoft tried to copyright the word 'Windows' and Intel tried to copyright the letter 'i', but both failed, of course.  One of the reasons that Intel switched to naming their processors after the 80486 was because they couldn't copyright numbers and thus prevent other processor manufacturers from calling their x86 compatible chips '486', '586' etc.  On the other hand though, Microsoft was able to prevent another company from calling their particular Linux distro 'Lindows' as it was deemed to be too similar to 'Windows'.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How does a Revojet work?
« Reply #27 on: 17/09/2009 13:52:35 »
This would be true only if the copyrighted design was also a drawing/painting.

The aircraft would be constructed from engineering drawings, which would be protected by copyright.

The words "Microsoft" and "Windows" are trade marks, not same as copyright.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark#Comparison_with_patents.2C_designs_and_copyright

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
How does a Revojet work?
« Reply #28 on: 17/09/2009 14:14:07 »
This would be true only if the copyrighted design was also a drawing/painting.

The aircraft would be constructed from engineering drawings, which would be protected by copyright.

Are you really suggesting that the illustration on that box could be mistaken for an engineering drawing?  What point were you really trying to make there?

The words "Microsoft" and "Windows" are trade marks, not same as copyright.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark#Comparison_with_patents.2C_designs_and_copyright

Indeed, but it was you who started referring to copyright, so I stuck with it to avoid confusing you further.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How does a Revojet work?
« Reply #29 on: 17/09/2009 16:13:47 »
I really "luffed" (as Neil might say) Patrick Moore.

Should be "luff": he's still at it ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/skyatnight/proginfo.shtml

That's great! Thanks. We don't get him on the telly here.

Offline scadoo

• First timers
    • View Profile
How does a Revojet work?
« Reply #30 on: 06/08/2010 23:36:25 »
I don't know if anyone is still interested in Revojets after all this time, but the Coronation Revojet was the last of a series of kites with rotating wings, and came out in the summer of 1952.
Before that there was the standard version that didn't pretend to look like an aeroplane, which was white with diagonal pink stripes! I was very disappointed when they brought out the improved, de luxe, and more expensive model, just after I bought my standard one. The Coronation version originally had one red wing and one blue wing. Everything was red white and blue just before the Coronation the following year.
After the coronation, they blocked out "Coronation" on the box artwork, substituting a large "Palitoy" logo, and the wings reverted to white.  You got s spare set, too, and a little man with a parachute who could slide up the line and jump off at the top!
Before the pink striped common version there was a smaller design in a much smaller box - so small that it wouldn't fit in the box unless you took out the wing wire and disassembled it.

A couple of years ago I found a modern copy in the beach-toy section of a French supermarket. It was very similar to the standard version, but had a free-wheeling propellor at the front.

I have about fifteen Revojets of various types, and one day I may try to get a photo of them all flying at once.
The possible resulting tangle is a bit of a worry, though.
It would be easier to do it in Photoshop!

Love the sheep artwork!

I think the answer to the original question of how it works is Bernoulli's principle.
Lift from rotating cylinders.
There's a definitive answere in a NASA site    newbielink:http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/cyl.html [nonactive]

If I knew how to attach photos I'd have posted one of the earlier types.

Don't go by the artwork on the box for the Coronation Comet version - it looked nothing like it, and rather more like the Comet aeroplane, though with symmetrical wings, as they had to rotate.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
How does a Revojet work?
« Reply #31 on: 09/08/2010 18:37:42 »
I had one of the original style Revojets in the early 50s it was pretty poor as a kite and needed a moderate steady wind to keep it airborne pity there are no pictures of one here so I have added one

It is interesting to note the sort of "fishing rod" that you used to control it.

I flew it all day at southport once and it was never the same again because the bearings had worn so much
« Last Edit: 09/08/2010 19:02:31 by Soul Surfer »

Offline scadoo

• First timers
    • View Profile
How does a Revojet work?
« Reply #32 on: 10/08/2010 23:18:50 »
So glad someone is still following this topic.
Trying to upload the photos.

Two examples of the small early version.

The standard pink and white version

Nose of the Comet, parachutist to right

Modern French example.

We'll see if that worked.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How does a Revojet work?
« Reply #33 on: 11/08/2010 00:07:17 »
Nice pix! Thanks Scadoo.

The Naked Scientists Forum