The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Information entering the body>? Questionable science  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
Does Information Enter our Bodies Mind?

And so, i come to a passage written by Doctor Ludvic Bass: On page 56 of his work (Hermathena, a Dublin University Review, 'The Mind of Wigners Friend' 1971)

he states among two premises, but only one is reviewed for the purpose of this essay, and i qoute:

''I am aware by incontrivertible direct evidence, of knowledge (information) entering my consciousness.''

Now, one could interpret this a few ways, and i am not entirely sure how Bass himself defined this premise. On one hand, we could state that there is a real
transport of information from the external world that enters our consciousness... or, by some mechanism he has not entirely provided. How does information
enter the body and more specifically the mind?

It is true that photons are bouncing off your retina [1], acting as a physical set of information which is then (after dubiously-described quantum and chemical
results occuring on their way to the brain) and is interpreted by us as an information (so the world CANNOT be a real representation but rather a guise or
holograph created by the brain) [2]. But a serious question arises, ''is that all there is to this information and how it enters our consciousness?''

It would seem that it would be best for some investigation into how we objectively come to know the world outside, but equally reminding ourselves that the
outside world we see is not the true physical reality, but a recreation and re-representation of what is possibly ''out there'' - and so, since the information
we come to know exists ethereally within some holographic representation of the world, then essentially, the information we gather may be more complicated than
just the brain interpreting what it observes and measures through the dynamical processes of quantum actions inside the retina and the molecular processes
which proceed to continue that information to the brain through the nervous system.

In quantum physics, we often deal with ''objects which appear from nowhere''. In fact, the zero-point energy field of physics continuously breaks one of the
fundamental laws of the universe, and that is the conservation of energy. Surprisingly, we can no longer take at face value that the universe has a set amount
of real particles which have retained in their quantities since the big bang. All the time, particles are appearing in spacetime whenever there is a certain
amount of energy in a given location within the vacuum.

So things, like particles, can appear out of no where, tunneling into existence from what ''appears'' to be an absolutely zero-point of spacetime. It turns out,
that even if you could freeze the vacuum down to absolute temperature or zero-point temperature which an ideal gas would exert no pressure, where the Kelvin
scale of temperatures is defined in terms of the triple point of water,T3=273.16 where the solid, liquid, and vapor phases coexist, you would imagine to be
the point where even movement ceases to exist, and in this case, movement is associated to energy.

Instead a massive amount of energy still remains for quantum particle oscillations, in fact, half the energy still resides! How can that even be possible?

It's obvious you cannot freeze the vacuum and expect all motion to cease. The kinetic theory of matter states that heat, or if you like, energy itself is modelled
in objects (such as a sausage in a frying pan) and see's the particles which make the sausage move faster and faster as it heats up. If the particles the sausage was
made from was stuck in a freezer, the particles would begin to slow down. So at zero-point energy field, we find a massive amount of activity that actually
yields an infinate amount of energy! So if you could remove lets say, 10^6 tons of energy (which is relatively small) from the ZPF, then that ''hole'' is replaced
immediately with negative energy. If you tried to add energy to such a vacuum state, you would still have the same quantity of negative energy residing also.

But what has all this got to do with the information we seem to have ''enter our consciousness''?

Well, studies seem to show that ''things appearing from nothingness'' could apply to many things... including thoughts themselves according to Amit Goswami,
who is actually a close friend of Fred Alan Wolf whom most of the work in my essays have been inspired from... Thoughts may actually tunnel from the vacuum's
potential states, and enter our conciousness, whilst the electrchemical and fundamentally the quantum processes inside our heads might be ''teasing'' such
information from the vacuum upon our own awareness.

Another theory which is possible, is that all information is already contained within our consciousness. In fact, the latter here is what i have come to seriously
beleive in... afterall, within the many essays i have written concerning the ''all-time'' prospect, where everything has already happened - or simply stated,
a predetermined universe would seem to imply we already have all the information we require. Whilst the past is remembered because of our experience of it,
the future itself remains a history which we seem to not be able to remember, but that is of course, due to the fact somehow our minds can break free from
the strange universes interpretation where nothing is changing, or altered. It's almost as if the mind shatters the all-time prospect into the singular present
time we are all in agreement with. This is called Asymptotic Time.

It should be no surprise to any physicist who has studied the idea of predeterminism to understand the possibilities of what i speak of here. Everything in the
universe would have all information written within the spacetime fabric itself, and unless we treated consciousness as somehow ''outside'' the domains of freedom
given by the metric dimensions, then we are also part of that all-time predeterminism. This then leads to the conclusion i base that any experience we will
ever have, recording it to our memory is in fact already part of our memories, just that some of this information that is located in the future is yet to be
released to us. You could also think of it as saying that the wave function of possibilities have remained dorment within consciousness until consciousness itself
can manifest the meaning of that information we concurrently come to understand.

A stranger consequence, or perhaps a type of interpretation would be that if the above is true, then our emotions, thoughts, desires ect, all seem to exist
beyond the observer; but beyond where..? The future perhaps? Maybe both the past and the future play a complimentary role as given by Doctor Wolfs beliefs?

As i have said before previously in another essay, our brain must intentionally filter out information, until that information has an appropriate place to
fit our experiences of the world. If the brain cared not about dividing the psychology of time into a past and future, we would not be able to function. It seems
that a conscious ''cause-and-effect'' must happen in order for us not to fall insane. You can imagine this as information coming from the future and information
coming from the past, and according to Doctor Wolf, this information squares upon arrival within our own present time - and the wave function collapses. The
information left over will be some kind of defined system; take your pick, whether it be from an atom, to the thoughts we have.

Doctor Cramers Transactional Interpretation of quantum mechanics does exactly this. It's an absorber theory where quantum waves of information are coming from
both the future and the past, where the past wave being receieved (called an offer wave) and the future wave (an echo wave moving back in time) collectively
answers for many paradoxes in physics. Whilst Cramer has admitted this may not actually be the true way the world works, it seem to help us mathematically-understand
some of the weird occurances which happen fundementally within our present time frame. He even teaches his theory to his students as to assertain a more
helpful conceptual quantum physical interpretation of the world.

Applying it to consciousness, is certainly not my idea, but can be given credit to Doctor Wolf, whilst Cramer [may have] pondered such possibilities involving consciousness,
but i wouldn't have you take my word for gospal - just a suggestion. In this sense, it's been applied to the collapse-causing model of conscious thought. Waves
and smears of possibitilies could be continuously collapsing within our brains, releasing the essential and now defined information.

But whilst as beautiful the idea is, i still believe that from a pre-deterministic view of the universe, we may as well state that since everything has happened, then
everything we will come to experience is indeed hidden dorment within the large field of consciousness, and even perhaps better understood, the one consciousness which
Doctor Bass proved.

So to end, i suspect that the answer to the heading of this essay is indeed ''no.'' No information enters our consciousness, but has resided within our consciousness
until consciousness itself can manifest the meaning of that information we concurrently come to understand when the physical world unravels. In two last arguements,
i will show how if the information of consciousness resides dorment until activated by some future occurance, then my premises forwarded can be answered:

1) That enrtopy which is believed to cause the directionality of physical events (which is obviously heavily argued from my essays as not actually being physical at all)
makes our perception of the future as something we seem to move towards, and when we do it seems as though the future is already part of our memories. For this reason,
it appears suspect that our very thoughts and wishes seem to exist beyond the observer.

2) That information or knowledge about a system becomes almost instantaneously known upon a measurement.

For me, information can only exist within a dorment state to satisfy the answers to these queeries. Maybe someone out there can explain it better? No, in fact, i am sure
someone could.

Notes

[1] - In fact i will go over some of the processes involved, just for the interest of the reader. When a photon of light hits off the retina, changes occur inside
of the cells located in the retina. What the eye has ''caught'' is in fact a two dimensionsional image. A molecule called the Cis-Retinal undergoes a physical
change into Trans-Retinal. This is itself not a chemical change, but rather a spatial difference or shift within the molecule itself. This ultimately changes a
protien located that is present within these cells, and this protein attaches to another protein because of an actual chemical reaction in the original protein.
Molecules are then cut in half, which in turn causes electrochemical imbalances, where certain electric channels are cut off. This final event is then transported
through electrolytes in the nervous system to the brain itself. The most amazing part of all of this is that the original two dimensional capturing of the image
is then [[somehow]] transconfigurated into the three dimensional phenomena of perception. This baffles scientists as we are not entirely sure as to how the brain
is capable of such a reconfiguration. The cell inside the eye which had captured that original photon then requires to rebuild itself for if it could not, then we
could only use such a cell in the retina once. Some of the cells contained within the eye will be used for color perception, and others for the abstract shades of
black and white perception.

[2] - And here is a fantastic link to help those conceptualize my theory, where i tend to talk about what we percieve as not being reality at large:

Green, A. The Science and Philosophy of Consciousness. (http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~lka/conz.htm)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Information entering the body>? Questionable science
« Reply #1 on: 16/09/2009 19:39:34 »
He is wrong when he says 'I am aware by incontrivertible direct evidence, of knowledge (information) entering my consciousness.'

At the very least it implies that nobody ever misleads him.
He really ought to have read Descarte's observation on the matter.

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2009 00:43:24 »
He is wrong when he says 'I am aware by incontrivertible direct evidence, of knowledge (information) entering my consciousness.'

At the very least it implies that nobody ever misleads him.
He really ought to have read Descarte's observation on the matter.

Can you explain more?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/09/2009 06:56:15 »
Whai I believe to be information enterimg my mind might be a figment of my imagination. There's no way I can be sure of anything except that I (in some form) exist.

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #4 on: 18/09/2009 16:26:53 »
ok.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 18/09/2009 16:26:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines