The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does a hot curry clear blocked sinuses?  (Read 6360 times)

drkev

How does a hot curry clear blocked sinuses?
« on: 01/09/2005 01:01:18 »
Worked the door tonight at a curry house (yes my area is that rough and yes I am a doorman gotta pay my way through uni somehow!)

Now I'm not a big fan of curry's but I'm a gutty barstweard and will never turn down a free meal.

Before I ate my curry (which I have just polished off) I had blocked sinuses and a chesty cough. My chest was congested and I had a tight pain.

Voila! One curry later and my ailments are cured. Why is this? Why has the curry cleared my sinuses and more importantly sorted my chest out?

Chris, have you thought about prescribing curry's?

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher
« Last Edit: 22/06/2008 14:37:44 by chris »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2008 13:46:15 »
I think this is maybe because the spices in the curry slightly iritate the mucous membranes causing fluid mucous to be generated. This loose mucous can free up the thickened and dried mucous that causes the congestion.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2008 17:48:20 »
I think the capsaicin, which is the spicy ingredient in the curry, activates small-calibre sensory afferents (nerve fibres) to produce the burning sensation, which they convey to the brain. At the same time these afferents also pump out some inflammatory peptides, like CGRP and Substance P, in the mucous membrane, including onto mast cells. This will provoke some local inflammation, vasodilatation and hence mucus production. I therefore suspect that part of the nose-running experience is a local inflammatory "axon-reflex".

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2008 17:48:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums