The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Snake with a Foot  (Read 9556 times)

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« on: 16/09/2009 21:29:51 »
Source

Found in China, I think the picture says it all.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #1 on: 17/09/2009 08:02:22 »
Strange, the things that can go wrong in nature.

Two heads or extra limbs crop up from time to time in many animals, probably as a result of extreme Siamese twining. But this is an appendage that a snake should not have.

I wonder if this is a result of some long dormant gene, or the reemergence of a gene, from the time when this species was more lizard than snake.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #2 on: 17/09/2009 11:12:39 »
It almost looks like the snake swallowed a lizard and it's foot, at least, escaped. The large bulge makes me suspicious.

Or it's a legless lizard with a defective gene.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #3 on: 17/09/2009 12:02:02 »
I'm very strongly inclined to agree with JnA's first possibility.  From the way that the the snake has twisted the front half of its body through nearly 360 degrees - the paler coloured band with parallel scales is its belly - suggests that it's in distress.

I don't think that it's a legless lizard with a defective gene because I doubt the code to make a coherent and viable leg is still intact.  A rudimentary 'stub' leg might be feasible, as with rudimentary 'tails' that sometimes turn up in humans, but I suspect that the leg in that picture is too complex and well formed to be accounted for by a defective/recessive gene.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #4 on: 17/09/2009 12:55:32 »
Legs & feet on whales ...

Probably the most well known case of atavism is found in the whales. According to the standard phylogenetic tree, whales are known to be the descendants of terrestrial mammals that had hindlimbs. Thus, we expect the possibility that rare mutant whales might occasionally develop atavistic hindlimbs. In fact, there are many cases where whales have been found with rudimentary atavistic hindlimbs in the wild (see Figure 2.2.1; for reviews see Berzin 1972, pp. 65-67 and Hall 1984, pp. 90-93). Hindlimbs have been found in baleen whales (Sleptsov 1939), humpback whales (Andrews 1921) and in many specimens of sperm whales (Abel 1908; Berzin 1972, p. 66; Nemoto 1963; Ogawa and Kamiya 1957; Zembskii and Berzin 1961). Most of these examples are of whales with femurs, tibia, and fibulae; however, some even include feet with complete digits.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section2.html#atavisms_ex1

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #5 on: 17/09/2009 16:54:22 »
From the way that the the snake has twisted the front half of its body through nearly 360 degrees - the paler coloured band with parallel scales is its belly - suggests that it's in distress.

I should think so - the lady that found it beat it to death with a shoe.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #6 on: 17/09/2009 17:05:17 »
Poor snakey. :(

As an owner and breeder of snakes I agree with JnA, the bulge gives it away.

Another one that was not so lucky;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4313978.stm  [:0]

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #7 on: 17/09/2009 18:27:11 »
I think that JnA's explanation is right but, just out of curiosity how could you tell the differentce between a snake with one (unexpected) foot and a lizard that was (unexpectedly) missing 3 feet?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #8 on: 17/09/2009 23:05:44 »
In addition to the bulge where the arm appears there is a lizard-sized tumescence in the snake's body ...

« Last Edit: 17/09/2009 23:09:12 by RD »

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #9 on: 18/09/2009 17:11:51 »
Ha. 
Nice RD.

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #10 on: 18/09/2009 17:51:49 »

I should think so - the lady that found it beat it to death with a shoe.

It needed a shoe.

Just not upside the head.
Repeatedly.
And in anger.

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #11 on: 18/09/2009 18:15:45 »
Nice one RD

ScientificBoysClub(SBC)

Snake with a Foot
« Reply #12 on: 19/09/2009 04:51:41 »
Source

Well do you know the fact that Before Evolution of snakes Esp. in case of Anacondas or Pythons used to have legs but evolution took it off by Natural selection. than, even today some male or female  anacondas have legs ... I mean mini legs !

ScientificBoysClub(SBC)

Snake with a Foot
« Reply #13 on: 19/09/2009 04:53:08 »
Source

well as Don said "the things that can go wrong in nature." it's true !!

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #14 on: 19/09/2009 13:22:59 »
One would think that if one completely formed limb occurred as part of mutation of long dormant gene suddenly activated that there would be stumps where the other 'legs' should have been...

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #15 on: 24/09/2009 00:09:58 »
Source

Very much expected.

Early on in my biology classes, i learned that snakes have a biological or skeletol makeup which suggests at some distant past their ancestors did in fact walk upright; which has bizarre religious consequences for some.

This is a basic case of an evolutionary-throwback. It's genes have been awoken by some strange genetic mistake that has resided dorment until this occurance.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #16 on: 24/09/2009 00:37:02 »
Source

Very much expected.

Early on in my biology classes, i learned that snakes have a biological or skeletol makeup which suggests at some distant past their ancestors did in fact walk upright; which has bizarre religious consequences for some.

This is a basic case of an evolutionary-throwback. It's genes have been awoken by some strange genetic mistake that has resided dorment until this occurance.

so why just the one fully formed leg? Surely the gene for 'creating limbs' isn't that discriminatory.. I would expect at least stumps where the other leg/s should have been .

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
Snake with a Foot
« Reply #17 on: 24/09/2009 00:45:13 »
Source

Very much expected.

so why just the one fully formed leg? Surely the gene for 'creating limbs' isn't that discriminatory.. I would expect at least stumps where the other leg/s should have been .
Because the innactive gene which gives the information to form a leg has simply been awoken. Junk DNA is also found in humans as well. You should take a look into it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Snake with a Foot
« Reply #17 on: 24/09/2009 00:45:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length