The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Finalize this Question !! Does ghost exist or Not ?  (Read 8467 times)

ScientificBoysClub(SBC)

Finalize this Question !!  Does ghost exist or Not ?

Many Families suffered, Many people cried , Many people died due to the Horror and terror of Ghosts..

I have never seen a Ghost. it sounds like stupid. Well in Discovery Channel a show called "A haunting" Which is my Favorite show .. says that the story is based on victims of Ghost ??

it is really true that Ghost Exist ? 

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Finalize this Question !! Does ghost exist or Not ?
« Reply #1 on: 18/09/2009 15:16:24 »
Just a few miles from me are the ruins of Lessness Abbey

It was founded in 1178 by Richard de Luci, one of the knights involved in the assassination of Thomas aBecket, who built it as a penance because he felt so guilty about his dirty deed.

In around 1536, it was one of the first monasteries to fall foul of Henry VIII's act of dissolution. It was raided by Cardinal Wolsey for his new college at Oxford and thereafter by many others.

It has always been said that the Augustine Abbott at the time of the Abbey's destruction was murdered and haunts the abbey to this day. There is no information on who the Abbott was, but his ghostly apperition became known as the White Monk.

One night, I and a few friends (all in our teens way back then) were sitting on the edge of Lessness Woods, looking down on the abbey, when one, wearing light coloured clothes, went down to the ruins for a leak.

He came charging back up to us saying he had seen the White Monk walking on the other side of the ruins. We all charged down the slope and across the ruins to see this ghost.

There, in the distance, was a woman in a white coat with her small dog on a lead, running from the abbey as fast as she could drag her poor little pooch behind her.

She had obviously seen my mate, in his light coloured clothes, walking through the ruins, and thought it was the ghost. My mate had seen her, and thought the same. They scared each other witless.

GHOSTS!!!! HUH!!! Ghost stories are a great tourist attraction.

Offline Dimi

• Prone to rambling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2009 15:21:01 »
Hahaha I loved that story!

ScientificBoysClub(SBC)

« Reply #3 on: 19/09/2009 04:42:15 »
Well I know sometimes people misunderstand things around them . but does ghost really exist as people say ?
The people who have suffered with it claim that they have seen the ghost ...

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/09/2009 11:55:30 »
There's no evidence at all that ghosts exist.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/09/2009 12:19:58 »
Boo !

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/09/2009 13:14:46 »
What are the 'rules' for being able to come back as a ghost?  Is it an option given to everyone who has ever died?

Lets say 100 billion people have died in the past (I took a guess - although an interesting side question might be 'how many people have died throughout history?') Are all of them hanging about watching us go about our daily business?
Are the ones that seemingly appear just doing so for a laugh? (I'd imagine eternity would get somewhat boring at times)
And if there are so many ghosts about, why can only some people see them?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #7 on: 20/09/2009 12:24:53 »
Good points JnA.

It also seems to be that ghosts are nocturnal! Why should that be the case? If I came back as a ghost, I would want to see flowers, birds, butterfly's and the like. Wont see much of them, or anything else for that matter, at night.

Ghosts!!! Rubbish

What was that?

Offline VAB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/12/2010 16:36:38 »
Hi Chris,

Could you kindly give your views on this?

I note the scepticism about ghosts etc. Why are they called ghosts and not perhaps people from another era?

Has anyone ever thought that perhaps they are visible, but the mind rejects the idea out of social norms that ghosts do not exist? Therefor, you will not admit to yourself that you may have seen someone from another era or world? There are are other dimensions; and not all humans only use 3% of their brains....

Thanks

SteveFish

« Reply #9 on: 24/12/2010 17:12:01 »
The assertion that we only use 3% or 10% of our brain is a myth. We use all of our brain all of the time. Ghosts are also a myth. As BenV said above, there is no evidence for ghosts, just stories, tomfoolery, and tourist attractions.

Offline VAB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24/12/2010 17:27:09 »
Hi,

You seem to be pretty certain about the percentage of brain usage... any proof of that?

SteveFish

« Reply #11 on: 24/12/2010 19:43:56 »
VAB, you have made the assertion regarding how much brain is used so you have to support your claim. Provide a credible source, preferably some peer reviewed research.

You may find this response inadequate, but in terms of the rules of argument it is correct. However, I was originally trained (Ph.D. level) as a neuroscientist, and the claim that we only use 10% of our brain came out when I was a Ph.D. graduate student. The students and faculty used to sit around and make jokes about this because there was absolutely no research to support the idea, and because it was so absurd. Why would anybody think that this is true?

Steve

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25/12/2010 15:52:54 »
If only 10% of your brain is necessary JFK would have had a longer career.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10%25_of_brain_myth#Refutation
« Last Edit: 25/12/2010 16:01:08 by RD »

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26/12/2010 20:43:56 »
VAB, you have made the assertion regarding how much brain is used so you have to support your claim. Provide a credible source, preferably some peer reviewed research.

You may find this response inadequate, but in terms of the rules of argument it is correct. However, I was originally trained (Ph.D. level) as a neuroscientist, and the claim that we only use 10% of our brain came out when I was a Ph.D. graduate student. The students and faculty used to sit around and make jokes about this because there was absolutely no research to support the idea, and because it was so absurd. Why would anybody think that this is true?

Steve

We actually use all our brain matter - whether or not we use it substantially for our benefit of greater intelligence is another matter entirely.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 26/12/2010 20:43:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums