The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: An essay in futility, too long to read :)  (Read 279578 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: An essay in futility, too long to read :)
« Reply #1550 on: 01/01/2016 00:54:06 »
That actually gives the lone voice a greater possibility of being heard than the one in where peoples wishes are what decides what's true. Too many examples of mankind's folly exist.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: 01/01/2016 12:32:51 »
Which brings me to what I think is important :) And a good new year to you too. It's about two things, 'free will' and 'ethics'.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: 01/01/2016 12:35:12 »
In a scenario where 'dimensions' and 'reality' becomes questionable, do 'free will' exist?
I'm pretty sure it does, because we use it. I use it, you use it. Then again, statistically?  Does 'free will' make a difference?

Depends on your ethics, doesn't it?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: 01/01/2016 12:37:19 »
If you look at the bible. What is the most important question it asks?

For me it is the one about your ethics, whether you are able to act as a individual, researching yourself.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: 01/01/2016 12:38:57 »
We made a system, called the 'free market' and 'capitalism' in where none need to search themselves. They just need a common goal, which is greed.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: 01/01/2016 12:39:44 »
So you fulfill that goal, and you become a role model.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: 01/01/2016 12:40:45 »
no need to ask yourself what the meaning of all this is. And then you teach your kids the same.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: 01/01/2016 12:42:30 »
:)

And then we deny any responsibility.
We're sort of funny. Could be made into pets.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: 01/01/2016 12:49:07 »
It's about self interests, isn't it. And ways to award yourself, feeling better. So the world doesn't like your solution? Well f* it, it gave me a new laptop. And so we keep on, denying responsibility for our actions, unless peoples wishes fit your action. And remember, peoples wishes may not be the perfect grinding stone for what is ethical.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: 01/01/2016 12:53:29 »
Researching yourself you become a bad tool. It's hard to use you as you don't even know yourself what you're looking for. No way you're going to fall for a cult that way, a cult will look for people wanting a purpose, a simple answer, not for people questioning themselves, and everything around them.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: 01/01/2016 12:54:09 »
I could call it becoming a individual.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: 01/01/2016 13:09:00 »
So there are some pretty nice advantages to becoming a individual. But it's a local solution :) very local indeed, unless you find a way to connect with more people searching. Tao had a saying that I found quite profound, if I now remember it rightly? 'Everyone knows, except me, I'm confused, constantly searching for myself.'

Physics is one way to find people questioning, and I'm sure there are more.

Offline timey

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1562 on: 07/01/2016 00:34:42 »
I really recommend this book yor-on!

"Seven Arrows" by Hyemeyohsts Storm

A gift to yourself perhaps...

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: 11/01/2016 17:54:48 »
That would be nice Timey, I do need books that make me think, and love. Because the older I get the less my love seems to be. Experience is important but today we have a youth cult, and it fits 'self interests' perfectly. Making people that should know better into stupid tools. The best advice I have is to f** it all, be your self. You live, and then you die. If you don't get that my friend (none of the later is addressed to you Timey btw) then I don't know. You have pride. you have honor, you have trying your best. That should be enough for any individual, no matter his or hers 'handicaps'.  And if now someone doesn't get this? You need to look up ethics.

« Last Edit: 11/01/2016 18:16:48 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: 11/01/2016 18:03:21 »
Ad love Timey, we all hope for it, don't we?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: 11/01/2016 18:10:24 »
Sorry about the lapse of letters, the guy that owned this keyboard was a affluent gamer, and it shows :)

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: 11/01/2016 18:13:11 »
I have some weird ideas, I know that, but I live, and then I die. And the best saying I know is *F**ng life', because that tells it all. And why that saying is true is because you don't have the courage to live your life as it should.
=

Sometimes my writing f*s me up, doesn't it?  :) None of this is about Timey, although I still haven't checked out that book. Then again, I'm not a trusting person. I was, but I aint.
« Last Edit: 11/01/2016 18:24:23 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: 11/01/2016 18:37:46 »
And if you have been living, you will meet the same difficulties, and ask yourself what 'party' that can correct it :)
None can't.

You can.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: 11/01/2016 19:29:24 »
Ok, Timey, I've looked at some of it. Don't really know what to make of it by this short survey, it's Indian tradition to me, and it has a unique value of its own, but as for myself, I'm not really referring to anything except my own values. The ones I try to live, and die, by. They are the only thing I have, and I'll stand by them.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: 11/01/2016 20:31:35 »
Timey, I can see parallels, as ' The "Flowering Tree" represents that principle of growth, of blossoming perceptual enlargement, which allows us to see "through the eyes of our brothers." To see, in other words, that just as the universe is a Great Medicine Wheel, a great cosmic hierarchy of harmony and compassion, so each one of us is a personal medicine wheel within that great circle of being. Unfortunately, the people see this teaching, not as a grand and liberating thought, but as a hateful threat to their selfish preconceptions. In their blind anger, they strike at the tree, not realizing that they are only fighting within themselves.'

Can't find the book itself though, but what I think is that life should be a play, a game in where we can laugh, and love. And it's not difficult, as long as we trust ourselves, and those around us. What people love to speak of as 'grown up' is where one loses that truth. And that way we also kill the limb we rest upon. Which is the way we're going as far as I see, no matter what you read from those having constantly filled up glasses. They will have those glasses filled into oblivion.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: 11/01/2016 20:44:13 »
Then again, prove me wrong, please :)

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: 11/01/2016 20:56:13 »
Want something better?

Try Patrick Rothfuss

" He reached into a pocket and pulled out a river stone, smooth and dark. “Describe the precise shape of this. Tell me of the weight and pressure that forged it from sand and sediment. Tell me how the light reflects from it. Tell me how the world pulls at the mass of it, how the wind cups it as it moves through the air. Tell me how the traces of its iron will feel the calling of a loden-stone. All of these things and a hundred thousand more make up the name of this stone.” He held it out to us at arm’s length. “This single, simple stone.” Elodin lowered his hand and looked at us. “Can you see how complex even this simple thing is? If you studied it for a long month, perhaps you would come to know it well enough to glimpse the outward edges of its name. Perhaps. “This is the problem namers face. We must understand things that are beyond our understanding. How can it be done?” He didn’t wait for an answer and instead picked up some of the paper he’d brought in with him, handing each of us several sheets. “In fifteen minutes I will toss this stone. I will stand here,” he set his feet. “Facing thus.” He squared his shoulders. “I will throw it underhand with about three grip of force behind it. I want you to calculate in what manner it will move through the air so you can have your hand in the proper place to catch it when the time comes.”
Elodin set the stone on a desk. “Proceed.”

I set to the problem with a will. I drew triangles and arcs, I calculated, guessing at formulas I couldn’t quite remember. It wasn’t long before I grew frustrated at the impossibility of the task. Too much was unknown, too much was simply impossible to calculate. After five minutes on our own, Elodin encouraged us to work as a group. That was when I first saw Uresh’s talent with numbers. His calculations had outstripped mine to such a degree that I couldn’t understand much of what he was doing. Fela was much the same, though she had also sketched a detailed series of parabolic arcs. The seven of us discussed, argued, tried, failed, tried again. At the end of fifteen minutes we were frustrated. Myself especially. I hate problems I cannot solve. Elodin looked to us as a group. “So what can you tell me?” Some of us started to give our half-answers or best guesses, but he waved us into silence. “What can you tell me with certainty?” After a moment Fela spoke up, “We don’t know how the stone will fall. Elodin clapped his hands approvingly. “Good! That is the right answer. Now watch.”

He went to the door and stuck his head out. “Henri!” he shouted. “Yes you. Come here for a second.” He stepped back from the door and ushered in one of Jamison’s runners, a boy no more than eight years old. Elodin took a half-dozen steps away and turned to face the boy. He squared his shoulders and grinned a mad grin. “Catch!” he said, lofting the stone at the boy.  Startled, the boy snatched it out of the air. Elodin applauded wildly, then congratulated the bewildered boy before reclaiming the stone and hurrying him back out the door. Our teacher turned to face us. “So,” Elodin asked. “How did he do it? "

Offline timey

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1572 on: 11/01/2016 23:58:37 »
You are right that the book is about the American Indian, but it is more about their philosophy.  The book comprises of the short stories of the medicine shield way...and IF you can take on board the colour, direction, location type, and animal character as the code key, given at all points in the book, and in most instances explained, you will find that the stories are parables to the paradoxes of the human condition.  These parables are relevant to all peoples everywhere because the medicine way holds to a No Stake Things Down or they will Shrivel and Die philosophy.  Therefore traditions and values become fluid.  To be Always Looking Back or Always Looking Forward are tradition and value, and it is the Way of Truth that deals with The Now.

I found, indeed find, the book to be a wondrous piece of work.  A simple and logical approach of insight into the complexity of inner self.  A child can understand the concept of a Jumping Mouse, or that an Eagle in the North can see far, but will then be close to nothing...I am tempted to go on, but...

The book tells you that it is 'you' who creates your own medicine in taking on board the subtle, and often not so subtle messages within these stories.  That it is what 'you' perceive from them that is their work.  So... the reading of this book is not so much about the American Indian, or their culture, and indeed it is not intended to be, but is in fact a mirroring of oneself by oneself journey.  A book to be read carefully and also without judgement.  All of the stories inclusive of the real time scenarios are in fact parables of sorts.

Really yor-on... I do very much highly recommend it!

P.S   I am aware that there are also medicine cards of American Indian Totem animals available in a similar vein to Tarot.    This book, while bearing a slight similarity in its connection to the American Indian, cannot be held in any comparison, and is in my opinion a most ingenious piece of writing.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: 12/01/2016 12:44:50 »
Thanks again Timey, I do have to look it up, and read it too :) In a similar vein I would like to recommend a book too. As you're speaking about books that 'turns ones head', into a new direction, if I get you right.  "Crowds and Power is a 1960 book by Elias Canetti, dealing with the dynamics of crowds and "packs" and the question of how and why crowds obey power of rulers."

He never got a Nobel prize, for that one, but it's still one of the most amazing books I've read. The history around how it came to be also help understand why he needed to write. He's a humanist in the best sense of the word, wanting to understand. Here's what another guy wrote about it.

"There are certain books that I appreciate more than any others, even though I find them so interesting and elusive as to be almost unbearable. I love them, but I can hardly stand to read them. I can’t even articulate a category that they fit into, except to say that they seem to operate on a level of symbolism and meaning that is beyond the conventional structures – beyond The Hero with a Thousand Faces, say.

I can feel the meaning but can’t get it to work out. It operates in some extraordinarily deep and important way."

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: 16/01/2016 09:19:05 »
The problem with us is two faced, according to me then :)
We're a Janus.

One by one we almost always find ways to connect with each other, but create a mass of people, each one still a individual if you just got a chance to speak with them. But you won't, will you? :) And the only way you can avoid it is by holding yourself as close to yourself, as you ever can. I know people that tell me that they hate humanity, good people according to me that also want to protect you. And no, not leftists at all :) people that has served.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1574 on: 16/01/2016 09:19:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length