The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: An essay in futility, too long to read :)  (Read 278628 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: An essay in futility, too long to read :)
« Reply #2025 on: 31/05/2016 20:29:19 »
In the end, why should I care?
Why should you?

The only difference between you and me is that I think all life lives, not only you, all life.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: 31/05/2016 20:33:45 »
Ethics is what rules it, and we don't seem to be able to adapt, do we? Tell me, do we?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: 31/05/2016 20:40:32 »
A warriors ethics is a poor thing, versus the loss of a world. But it is for you, and me. Don't know if there is going to be a final arbitrament,but I will give myself my own, at my death. I don't want to lie. It's a lesson that took me a lifetime to learn, I offer it for free, and yeah, it's not worth more than you.

What is your worth?
==

And mine too of course.

A never ending story, isn't it :)
F*ng ethics :)

Do it.
« Last Edit: 31/05/2016 20:44:14 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: 31/05/2016 21:00:16 »
You're alive
Didn't you know?
I promise, you are.

Do it.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: 31/05/2016 21:34:25 »
Another important point is that I don't have the answers. I only found a way to live and die. If everyone would adapt to it maybe we would have a chance. I think so, otherwise I wouldn't bother writing. But it's about you, not your neighbors, your boss, where you get money from, etc etc.

We all need to grow up. And it's hard.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: 31/05/2016 21:37:32 »
But you can always weight it against your own death. and what you will think as you do. It's important, We see the cowards today, running from death, they can't take it. Narcissism in its cleanest form, to live forever, and f* those that can't.

Some of us grows, others shrink.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: 31/05/2016 21:42:01 »
Do the taste of salt exist?
Do good versus bad?

Do you?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: 31/05/2016 21:42:25 »
Decide.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: 04/06/2016 14:51:01 »
Now, this is most definitely a sidetrack, also one you might find rather useless.
I like security, and privacy.

Now a days everyone will offer you 'security', but the reimbursement you pay comes in terms of  privacy. I don't really differ between those two, to me security means that I have, and keep, my privacy. Today that's wrong :) You only find your 'security' in the trustworthiness of those providers delivering whatever you're interested, aka involved, in.

All of this to explain why I prefer Windows 7, to Windows 10, although the ability to game is better with W7 too as I get it. Linux and all those other dialects win in terms of security, speed, and probably reliability, but still lose in terms of user friendliness (GUI), and availability of software. That is also a question of what you started with naturally, but the question of software will remain.

So W7 on the latest Skylake architecture is a bother, and if you also happen to have an SSD (A hard disk consisting of R/W Ram, more or less) you want to use you will add to it :) There are a lot of discussions on the Internet about it as well as of the new 'security options' in the 'UEFI Bios' that Microsoft wants us to use. I've disabled mine by the way, as it's more of a restriction than of a way to get my computa to do what I like.

Now, if nothing works for you, try setting the 'hidden partition' on your Windows seven HD, if you now happen to have one? (Depend on how you've decided to install etc) to 'boot able. The easiest way to do that is from a 'linux live' CD using 'gp parted', or any able linux HD reader.. And yes, it may surprise you doing it. I expected a new installation on mine, if it now would work :), instead it booted up again?  It's an old trick of mine, but so are computers, well, as old as the trick at least :) it's the speed that have changed, not its principles and logic.

« Last Edit: 04/06/2016 14:53:54 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: 04/06/2016 14:59:46 »
And yes, it also should tell you that there is a definite change in the way a 'bios' treat firm/hardware today, compared to what bios originally existed. But I leave you to google that one, you should find it interesting though.
==

Hmm, the last seems somewhat cryptic, doesn't it?

Well the point is that my 'Bios' (skylake) lost sight of my SSD. It 'didn't exist' for it. So, why should me using Linux on another machine, lifting out the HD from the original to set the flag on the hidden partition to 'boot able' make it exist? Wouldn't have worked in a Old Bios, would it :)

You better read up on those newfangled bios:es they want to serve you.
==

One point more, I updated the bios before I tried this last, because I'm pretty lazy. Didn't help so I had to do manual labor on the machine, move the Hd to set the flag. Now, that bios, if I remember correctly, came in the size of around 16-17 MB? That's what a whole OS might need, so several layers in it, with the first one probably resembling a older variant of a Bios, checking up on hardware. the rest being a 'OS' of sorts. That's a pretty nasty thought from a security perspective, no matter if some company tells you that it's 'secure' :) Had a diskette once, when booted giving me a perfectly decent GUI, and that's only a few MB large.

The question one needs to ask one self here is how many back doors this kind of bios leave. saw someone stating that even though his 'skylake' bios didn't saw his HD, he still could boot into it, and me setting this flag getting mine W7 bootable? should really check whether it is the same for me, namely that the computer boots into the W7 gui, although the 'bios' still doesn't 'know/acknowledge' the hard disks existence :) And I will, sooner or later, (probably later though, I'm lazy.)
« Last Edit: 05/06/2016 07:56:49 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: 05/06/2016 11:14:50 »
try this one for size http://www.alphr.com/features/381565/uefi-bios-explained

"This means that UEFI can be just as powerful as a “real” OS. It can access all the memory installed in a system, and make use of its own little disk storage space – a sequestered area of onboard flash storage or hard disk space called the EFI System Partition. New modules can be easily added (hence “Extensible”); this includes device drivers for motherboard components and external peripherals, so user options can be presented in an attractive graphical front-end, controlled with the mouse. On touchscreen hardware, it’s possible to change system settings by swiping and tapping. It’s all a far cry from the clunky blue configuration screen of most BIOS implementations."

Let's see, what he calls 'clunky' I would call pretty damn hard to corrupt, then again, haven't bothered with those new 'bios:es' until now, although I had an idea of what you might be able to do if you ever could get into a bios :) Ever heard of 'virtual, ahem, isation'? One of the most interesting ideas around, and been around for the longest time now, in many disguises. I don't give much for the cloud myself, I'm old fashioned, but using virtual machines as 'servers' is a very good idea.
==

Then I'm sure more than me have wondered about this 'secure boot' that is 'implemented'. You can see it two ways, one is like  DRM (another marvelous invention from your friendly cooperation, for you to consume, as in chew on, spit out, to then run away screaming tearing your hair out :) The other is to assume that the providers always know what is best for you, and yes, it's totally 'secure' even without a true standard.

Btw: another enjoyable read: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131016/06583824895/drm-html5-what-is-tim-berners-lee-thinking.shtml
« Last Edit: 05/06/2016 11:25:04 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: 05/06/2016 11:33:30 »
Heh, and this :)

"Q: Are you familiar with "rEFInd" utility for EFI multi-boot control?  What is your opinion of this program in particular, and this type of program in general?

MD: Yes. UEFI specifications make a number of pre-boot utilities possible. However, on a system with UEFI Secure Boot enabled, the binary of any utility must be signed by a trusted signing authority. Projects like this that might go the extra mile to produce a signed binary could make it easier for ordinary users to take advantage of their work on a broader range of systems."

Yep, 'digital signatures' as ones ultimate security :) Ah well, going all the way back to active x controls, doesn't it :) Totally secure I'm sure, just relax and let daddy take care of it.

=

Soon the only thing left for people like me is to say goodbye to Mediocrosoft, at least not use Window$ for anything requiring the need of privacy, or for that sake, a free choice.
« Last Edit: 05/06/2016 11:45:26 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: 05/06/2016 11:56:24 »
This one, although a sidetrack, is also about ethics. Because it's not machines that implement those kind of things, it's individuals that accept corruption, using their belief in themselves being 'white hats' as their defense. And translating  a 'White hat' into more understandable language, they then see themselves as incorruptible. So, Narcissism, ego, and 'profits', all hidden under a white hat.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: 05/06/2016 12:02:19 »
Logically you can't be both, both corrupted as well as incorruptible, can you? Although, we're all humans, so maybe we can :) But this remarkable logic should then only be working on a 'human plane', as it would destroy most of all other stuff you expect to work, if 'implemented'. Being a 'warrior' will help you with this, and make you able to choose. It will make you uncomfortable in other eyes though :)

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: 06/06/2016 07:06:52 »
A funny thing with power structures are that they all steal your individuality, they want you to conform. So, assuming that this world would be better of without you being yourself makes sense to you? A hierarchy builds on you adapting. The most used defense i can come up with, for the moment, for hierarchies is that they makes cooperation easier :) Well, if that is the truth then a slave based society should be the ultimate hierarchy, or why not a dictatorship? What we call democracy here in the west still works from a hierarchy based model. We only exchanged the idea of 'elders' instructing the young to an idea of 'profits', instructing us all. And as always, 'profits' keeps us blameless, it wasn't me...

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: 06/06/2016 07:14:12 »
Actually, you are responsible. And the higher up in that hierarchy you are, the more responsibility rest on your shoulders. No individuals like this though, especially not if you're already corrupted manipulating others. so there are different structures for taking care of blame, and they become more and more obvious the higher up you climb. Using peoples inability to remember for example, enhancing it with disinformation is one used strategy, letting someone farther down take on your responsibility is another. We even create laws securing those strategies.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: 06/06/2016 07:19:15 »
And what it gives us is what you see.
Possibly refuse to see.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: 06/06/2016 07:23:50 »
Ever wondered why we haven't changed this hierarchy based 'democracy' to one where everyone can vote on whatever they find important? We have asymmetric encryption, enabling us to uniquely identifying each individual voter as being the one he says he is, we have a Internet enabling us to communicate directly. We have all mechanisms needed, but we don't use them.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: 06/06/2016 07:25:17 »
Is it about you not wanting responsibility :)
Well, you are responsible any which way you turn.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: 06/06/2016 07:27:11 »
Turn it around, is it others not wanting to give you that responsibility?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: 06/06/2016 07:29:48 »
What is a democracy?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: 06/06/2016 07:50:50 »
Ok, remember my argument for lesser and greater infinity's? That even though 'space' is greater than the volume of planets in a infinite space, both must contain infinity.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: 06/06/2016 07:52:49 »
They must, doesn't matter what you look at. Now, saw an article in where people was discussing whether we're living in a 'simulation'. Now, would a simulation allow infinity's, and free choice?

=
Spelling
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 08:10:28 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: 06/06/2016 07:57:30 »
Depends on how you define it, doesn't it? But if it would be true, then it tells us that infinity can be folded inside infinity.  That means that whatever a infinity is seen as from an 'inside it',  it must be able to be defined as having a limit from an 'outside it'. Now, that's a weird thought :)

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: 06/06/2016 08:01:20 »
Logically it doesn't fit.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2049 on: 06/06/2016 08:01:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length