The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: An essay in futility, too long to read :)  (Read 280856 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: An essay in futility, too long to read :)
« Reply #2200 on: 17/06/2016 18:38:08 »
The Internet is a democracy.
And it has constant referendums.

It's very dangerous :)
Could someone please close it down.

It's for your own safety, we'll give you a new, plastic wrapped.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: 18/06/2016 04:48:18 »
If the internet didn't exist how would you post to the forum?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: 18/06/2016 08:07:08 »
Tongue in cheek Jeffrey :)

I prefer a free Internet to a regulated.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: 18/06/2016 09:58:27 »
Have you any thoughts on how the younger generations seem to communicate much more remotely than they did in the past. It seems that face to face communication happens less oftentimes as time goes on. While the change is hardly noticeable yet is it likely to get worse?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: 18/06/2016 11:51:37 »
Wish I knew, Ive noticed one thing here in Sweden though. Guys hugging each other, to say 'hi', or 'see you'. That kind of behavior was almost unheard of when I was young, at least in my circles :) But I like it, even though it's not what I'm used to. I think it's a good thing that tells people that they do care about each other. The Internet has come creeping almost invisibly, looking back :) and the kids take those new modes of communication for granted. Think this is a turning time myself, also that it will be those kids, looking back, that will show us what came out of it.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: 18/06/2016 18:01:15 »
Wish I knew, Ive noticed one thing here in Sweden though. Guys hugging each other, to say 'hi', or 'see you'. That kind of behavior was almost unheard of when I was young, at least in my circles :) But I like it, even though it's not what I'm used to. I think it's a good thing that tells people that they do care about each other. The Internet has come creeping almost invisibly, looking back :) and the kids take those new modes of communication for granted. Think this is a turning time myself, also that it will be those kids, looking back, that will show us what came out of it.

So there may be more positives than negatives.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: 19/06/2016 07:31:00 »
Yes, I wish for it anyway, and so do you I think. It's no good hiding behind a computer screen all the time, we need to meet, laugh, argue, and just be humans too. The egoism that I think myself see is part natural to me, what we all carry inside us, part artificial, created from our current ideals and ideas. In a way not so far from those body ideals we get pushed upon us. It's also about a information overload, looking at all things that happens at the moment, At some point I think most of us start to screen it, and being egoistic is one type of screen from what happens, in my views then. But you're not the one creating it, neither am I. The whole point of being a warrior is just to not let it go any further than it already has, to be yourself, and be able to say your piece before it gets 'implemented', whatever that may be.
==

To believe that being a warrior will change anything?
It's about what's good, and what's bad. A presumption of that most of us can differ between good and bad, not only for me. If we can't then this won't work.

Game theory is solely about your 'needs', then negotiating them to the best of your ability, to try to 'win'. Life is, and isn't, like that. If game theory only should be the truth, then we're in a very difficult situation, as it then will be egoism, narcissism, and hubris that steers it, from both sides.
« Last Edit: 19/06/2016 07:41:53 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: 19/06/2016 07:54:31 »
That's also why I think ethics are important. It's an idea, and ideas are what change the world for us humans. That and education. I could add intelligence and having the ability to plan ahead. But I'm not as sure on those two working for us, at least not as a species, looking at where we've placed us :)

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: 19/06/2016 07:59:54 »
You could also express it as if we've broke out of a 'mold', running wild. Once we had a niche here, along with everything else existing. We belonged to a ecosystem. Those days we don't think we do. That's wrong and will take this world into a negative spiral, ending in breakdown of the ecosystem.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: 19/06/2016 09:27:41 »
We may all surprise ourselves. The one thing about online information is that governments will find it hard to suppress ideas. The way they wish to steer opinion no longer works the way it used to. Hence Donald Trump has a chance of being president. That scares the hell out of the established political classes because it means they actually have to put some effort in. To actually get off their lazy behinds and do something. It is about time the ruling classes felt uncomfortable. In the UK the chancellor, George Osbourne, has actually threatened a punishment budget if we vote to leave the EU. That is what the ruling classes have become and they feel they are untouchable. Pride comes before a fall. So I hope you will hold onto positivity.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: 20/06/2016 07:12:26 »
What else do we have Jeffrey?
We have to be positive. The other choice is giving up and let it all go to pieces. Now, what I wrote wasn't about Brexit specifically, although I admit it could be read that way :) Although my personal view about EU may be coinciding in some ways. I don't like power structures that are left in the hands of the few, and I don't see it as healthy expecting humans to become just one big happy tribe. They never was, they never will.

what join us is humanity, and humanity doesn't love everyone :)
As we can see, time and time again.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: 20/06/2016 14:03:47 »
Each one of us played it safe.
It left us here.

Stop playing it safe, be a warrior.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: 20/06/2016 14:07:53 »
Break the cup and make a new.
Stop filling it

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: 20/06/2016 14:16:46 »
The only thing you will lose is your invisibility.
You live, and then you die. what the f' did you expect?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: 20/06/2016 14:22:48 »
Did you know one thing :)
God has more in common with the devil than with us.
Look it up

We're on our own, why not be a warrior?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: 20/06/2016 14:53:51 »
There is always good and bad, not only for you, for us all.
It's called ethics, a warriors creed.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: 24/06/2016 13:20:12 »
Just a thing that struck me, reminding me of many worlds theory. It present a infinity of possible outcomes for every 'tick' of time, bifurcations that surely also must bifurcate in their turn, in whatever existence (universe) they 'split into, ad infinitum. To it you can add another parameter, the 'fine tuning' needed, for us to be able to exist inside a universe. That 'fine tuning' seems to me to imply that there could be a infinite amount of 'universes coexisting' without our physical parameters, aka 'Big Bangs'. If that was true then a 'cyclic universe' becomes something else than a 'big crunch'. And if you add up those two descriptions into one 'many worlds' scenario ones headache will grow into unbearable proportions. It's easier to assume it all a result of indeterminism, a result of probabilities.

Offline Alex Siqueira

• View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: 24/06/2016 16:19:49 »
Nice snapsis of yours, ich I could write down that good, but from my own observation experience...
 The speed of the photon is zero, also is its mass, so it can travel freely trought dark energy,
but dark energy is compresive in the presence of cold and expansive in the presence of heat,
 so one could say that exist the minimun speed of ligth, which would be the minimum velocity it can be propeled when exited away from the source of heat, indeed there is your momentum. Photon have no mass but it have also zero speed, the speed of the photon is subjected to two variables, the "heat source power" and the "time of action", those terms are not scientific but will do it to short things here.
 So if the the photon was exited away from a supernova explosion it's speed would be much greather than the one we could consider the minimum speed of ligth, hard to express...
  Basiclly speed of ligth is not constant, a photon can always be subjected to a greater speed than the minimum speed of ligth, but it will change because not the photon itself will loose momentum, but it's envroment is subjected to heat and cold, as colder being more dense and hotter beig more thin...
 The momentum will be aways conserved, but the limit speed of the mentum will be subjected to the densisty of the fabric it is traveling trough, and the dark energy in question will be subjected to temperature changes when in te presence of "big" and "dense" atomic structure, the concept of weigth is the missunderstanding one, weigth is not real, its a human concept, but the planet itself is never being subjected to its own weigth, it have none, having no weigth they bend nothing, its space fabric that bends itself, around dense atomic structure, the weigth due big mass volume its a "always comes with", but's not real to planets or stars, or even backholes...

I will not take more time of your's, if you wnat to know how by observation I get to this yet partical conclusion, follow the whole theory, http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=67280.0

And you're absolutlly right about people nowadays starting to try to solve problems basing themselves on someone else "uncertain" worl, if you want to undertand what others couldan't you have to change the whole theory and hope that if you fail someone else will eventually suject the correct awnser...

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: 25/06/2016 06:45:24 »
Slightly difficult to read through Alex. I'll have a look at your link though. When it comes to 'photons' I don't really think they have a 'speed', unless measured inside where we are :) which I guess sounds even weirder. It's measurements in 'time' that gives us our information of 'speeds'. Considering that it doesn't matter what 'speed' you define your 'observatory' to, from where you then will measure that light speed, always finding its outcome to be of a constant 'c', 'speeds' overall seems a questionable concept. There is no gold standard for it, except the one in where you define, for example, Earth to be your base of 'null motion'. It's relative to where you measure 'speeds', except this remarkable concept of a constant 'c'. When it comes to accelerations you have this effect of SpaceTime 'deforming/adjusting' (locally measured) to account for the differences in measurements, well, as I think of it then. Won't go into a discussion about it here though :) but I will look you up.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: 25/06/2016 06:58:53 »
You could express it such as 'motion' is a expression of the physical laws we see from our inside. If you consider a video game then it isn't things 'moving' in that video montage, it's just pixels changing color and brightness to adjust to the logic of the games rules. I don't mean that this is a game though but motion is questionable even here.
=

you can also turn it around and define the 'gold standard' we actually measure to be just 'c'. How you then will find a way to describe 'motion' from mass energy 'time' etc is a deeper question. There is another description that I like though, the one in where 'time' is 'c' and it takes us into a 'future', using indeterminism to finalize a 'history'. The universe is a logic, and it has to be consistent for it to keep together, otherwise it will become a 'magical universe' to me :)

to define time as being 'c' becomes a very 'local' definition, but so are all of our measurements of this universe, namely local. We describe it locally, then imagine the universes 'laws and rules' globally.
« Last Edit: 25/06/2016 07:23:13 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: 27/06/2016 15:07:11 »
There is only one world, and you are responsible for it.
It's ours.

No illegals, humans yes, and you don't have to love them at all. But you're still one of them.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: 27/06/2016 15:07:36 »
Become a warrior.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: 27/06/2016 15:08:51 »
Think we can make it?
Hope we can.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: 27/06/2016 15:48:22 »
You're a care taker, take it up. Stop hiding and stop, please, kissing a$$
You're as good as anyone here,

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: 04/07/2016 19:25:30 »
Ok. some good dreams

Rudimental, search, and you will find. One of the most thought out music I know of.
Another  Volbeat - Sad Man's Tongue
The Pretty Reckless - Heaven Knows
Ted the Mechanic
Demi Lovato - Confident
And then a Frenchman, that speaks, at least, to me :)

And if he doesn't speak to you too, you definably need new dreams, or possibly, just 'new earplugs'.
Stromae Alors on danse Live HD 01.03.2011.mp4

Btw, about war. We all dream of it, doe3sn't we?
Five Finger Death Punch - Wrong Side Of Heaven.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2224 on: 04/07/2016 19:25:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums