The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: An essay in futility, too long to read :)  (Read 278605 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: An essay in futility, too long to read :)
« Reply #975 on: 18/04/2013 16:50:35 »
And a acceleration, if it now is possible to assume that, as well as being still, to exist even at Planck scale? I'm not sure, I expect that to disappear as definitions there too, just as the arrow must do. To define it otherwise would need for me to define a acceleration as something 'time less' which I don't know how to do. Everything we define as in measure is to me connected to a arrow, also accelerations. It's the 'tube' containing processes, locally defined. But you can scale a acceleration down very far as I expect. although I'm not sure how far. That makes it, and uniform motion something that defines the universe, just as 'c' do. Because 'c' breaks down at Planck scale too.

You might want other things to be 'constants' but then we wander of in the wilderness, as if this isn't wild enough :)

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: 18/04/2013 16:57:14 »
And that one brings us back to 'distance'. Because if 'being still' and acceleration disappear at Plank scale, what are they macroscopically? And what the he* is a distance?

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: 18/04/2013 16:58:30 »
And yes :)
What is this 'motion'?

The universe can be put in my pocket, in my thinking :)
Crazy, ain't it.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: 18/04/2013 17:32:25 »

From locality you have two, possibly three ways to define a entanglement.

1. It's a result of relations, defining the spin (hidden parameter), and that should put it under 'c', as the spin then is predefined, no matter if it is up or down in your first measurement.

2. It's a result of everything breaking down at Planck size, distance as well as all other definitions.

3. ? Need to think of that one, ahem, as in remember what I thought there.

Senility ahoy..

3.. Ahh, it was 1. but still outside  'c', I think?
=

nevermind, I will remember it, some day?
« Last Edit: 18/04/2013 17:34:39 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: 18/04/2013 18:04:56 »
I did have a 3 but got sidetracked due to a visitor :)
Typical, isn't it. I can see why science don't allow visitors :)
I do though, life's just too short to lock yourself in.

get out and have some fun.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: 18/04/2013 18:35:29 »
My universe is very much about defining constants.
This is a very important issue. Defining c involves the division of Planck Length: 1.616199(97)^-35 meters by Planck time: 5.39106(32)^-44 seconds. And it is also important to recognize that these Planck units can only be expressed digitally, meaning; there is nothing between individually distinct points of existence. This is where our measuring ability breaks down, we can't understand this progression of events as an analog, or a continuous evolvement of movement. At the Planck scale, no continuous movement or change from one discreet event to the next is possible. Taking this into account, even at the Macro level, events are only a combination of digital events, nothing can be considered as a continuous motion. Reality is only a cluster of associated discreet events.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: 18/04/2013 19:46:34 »
One thing more. If you're a girl, enjoy it. And never let anyone tell you that you can't understand physics. there's all sort of bs going round in the world, but Noether defined symmetries. And she was a girl in a much harder climate than you live in, so remember, if you have a idea, make it true. define it, it may take you some time. and the same goes for us all. I love the way we're set up. in girls and boys, and I have no problem with us being different, that's the spice making the world interesting. And if you're in between, don't despair, there's enough differences in the world for you too. We all have a place here, and we better have some fun, before it ends. Einstein may have defined the importance of symmetries, but he did not define it.

That was a girl

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: 18/04/2013 21:17:51 »
I don't know. I've done a lot in my life, and I expect it to end fairly soon. Physics is in a way a promise of your, and mine thoughts, having a importance for the future. Can you see what I mean? And we're all the same, it's all a question about education and what chances you got as you grew up. The best thing we can do in this world is to exchange thoughts, nothing more. Well :) There's love too, and that is what makes us safe. Without it we're alone.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: 18/04/2013 21:32:15 »
And Ethos, I enjoy the way you act, a genuine gentleman :)
That's a thing to strive for.

Life is more than talking.
what defines you will be the way you act, when no one sees you.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: 18/04/2013 21:42:56 »
And to make that true, you better try. Because it is when you think nobody looks that you will allow thing you otherwise wouldn't do. so make some standards, and keep to them. Don't be ashamed about it, and do not excuse yourself, instead try to explain, but don't 'back down'. There's too many backing down in this world. And it starts with the way you think, so try to educate yourself, and yeah, f* the world. Make it to your standard instead, expect no less.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: 18/04/2013 21:59:39 »
I don't know. I've done a lot in my life, and I expect it to end fairly soon.
My friend,...........are you ill? I apologize if that question is being too personal but, ..........It would cause me much sadness if you are.
Quote from: yor_on
There's love too, and that is what makes us safe. Without it we're alone.
Absolutely, it really all boils down to the privilege to share with another mind. To know, without doubt, that another human being has joined with you in experience, to truly know the thoughts and hopes of another.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: 18/04/2013 22:08:28 »
thanks Ethos, but it's just life :)

And no, I'm talking about us all. Life is so much more than having the 'sharpest thoughts'. There's a whole field of compassion, emotions and understanding existing, not all going back to logic. We live and we want to be understood, and loved, all of us do but sometimes we never got the chance. So let us give each other a chance more. and let us talk.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: 18/04/2013 22:51:32 »
Ah rereading myself. It wasn't directed to your post Ethos. It was me reasoning from my former post, it just coincided with your posting.  I agree with what you say about sharing thoughts and love, and also, it doesn't matter who. Life is weird, but quite fun if we allow each other to live.
=

The last part of my post I'm thinking of :)
I got to be the ultimate wizard of redefining posts I suspect :)
Still, it happened.
« Last Edit: 18/04/2013 22:57:24 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: 18/04/2013 23:03:59 »
Sometimes I forget that I might need to reread what I write, as I get a reply at the same time as I'm posting. Reminds me of the importance of using the right punctuation. Placing that wrong may change your message too :) Don't worry Ethos :) You're a good guy, and I know it.
=

I will blame this on too many seagulls today :)

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: 19/04/2013 01:46:47 »
Strange isn't it. You think you're on a learning curve, getting your thoughts cleaner and clearer. Then you check your old posts and find that you already asked the same, but forgot all about it? What does that make it? To treat myself somewhat friendly I will assume I'm testing them over time, from all directions I can imagine :)

but I guess that's the way it works, you get your ideas while young, and they're more like intuitions than defined ideas. Then you grow older, and learn more, but the original ideas still exist somewhere in your head. and then you put a good part of your life developing them, not remembering that they was there even before. It's like a wheel of sorts, you come back to the same thing but from a different direction.

the wheel of life :)

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: 19/04/2013 14:08:48 »
The reason I started to write about this was time, once very long ago, long before getting a family etc I had this idea that SpaceTime must be like some game of cards, each one slightly out of phase with the next, the arrow becoming what joined it into a seamless reality. Then life came in between and I forgot all about it, until recently. So, me arguing is from a intuition, although my definitions have changed from a fractured reality, joined by a arrow, to a 'time less' one, the arrow becoming a expression from a symmetry break. And that one I think might be more correct. Then again, I don't know :) but who knows? Maybe we all find out.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: 19/04/2013 14:22:14 »
And if that is true I would say that we are the universe, seeing itself. Which is a rather weird thought, me being partial to such. Anyone remembering that Chinese tale about the guy in a prison cell, dreaming he was a butterfly. Waking up wondering if he was a man having dreamed about a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was a man. Life is a game of trust, isn't it?
=

and my spelling leaves a lot to wish for.
« Last Edit: 19/04/2013 14:26:22 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: 19/04/2013 14:33:33 »
Then again, considering that I equal a arrow to 'c', making both into 'constants'. Maybe I was right in my intuition, although I didn't have the words for it then? You can think of it, from such a definition, as a 'fractured reality' joined by 'c', which indeed is the arrow. And on that one I won't back down.

'c' and the arrow are equal.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: 19/04/2013 14:41:13 »
The other one I won't back down on is the importance of scales. They are more important than one might think, at least to me they are. Because, questioning distance and time we need constants. And those I see are the local ones, those are the ones defining my reality. And as we go down in scale we get closer and closer to what I think is the expression of a universe, existing outside a symmetry break. And there we don't 'die', although we do it here. What that seems to mean to me is that there might be a chance for us all, to define and redefine ourselves.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: 19/04/2013 14:52:14 »
And yes, this is definitively philosophy :) Of a most meta physical kind too. But that's also why I mean when people sort themselves out as being 'saved', relative us lacking that vision. It all depends on how you define that quantum regime. And as I expect it to consist everything that was, is, and ever will be, simultaneously? I have a great faith in that. the only thing I'm doubting there is if 'I' will be the exact same. Because if we imagine ourselves becoming like that, where would our identity be? We would be it all, wouldn't we? So, maybe, :) (and most meta physically)  what we have is the universe asking itself how it exist, using linear time for testing a proposition.

Yep, the guys in white coats are waiting around the corner.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: 19/04/2013 15:03:22 »
The point is that it won't matter how you define yourself, being a 'I'. You belong to the quantum regime too, although finding yourself separated from it, in thoughts, and in macroscopic observations and definitions. But it exist everywhere, there are no points in our universe separated from it, just use scaling it down. You and me are both living there, and will do so for ever, from a quantum definition.

And that is a faith, of sorts :)

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: 19/04/2013 15:11:09 »
And that's a question of what three(four) dimensional reality would be from such a point of view. Do you expect the inside of your body to be more separated from a quantum regime than outside. Or is it all the same from such a definition? I think it is all the same. What we define, relative, what is. No points are further away than any other points, if you see my thinking.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: 19/04/2013 15:12:16 »
a symmetry break.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: 19/04/2013 15:53:14 »
And yes, this is definitively philosophy :) Of a most meta physical kind too. But that's also why I mean when people sort themselves out as being 'saved', relative us lacking that vision. It all depends on how you define that quantum regime. And as I expect it to consist everything that was, is, and ever will be, simultaneously?
I happen to be one of those who has found a faith. But now, we need to define faith don't we. And also, referring back to the point I believe you were making, speaking about a universe looking, as it were, in the mirror at itself.

As conscious individuals, we assume that this awareness somehow belongs only to us. I tend to think that consciousness is related to quantum aspects of nature of which we are only beginning to understand. And these quantum interactions can, and in my opinion, are entangled with the space/time continuum. In simple talk, we are a small part of the universe and have no right, as only a part, to consider ourselves greater than the sum of it's parts.

So,..........as you may suspect by now, I believe in a universal consciousness. The question now becomes, what do we call this governing universal consciousness?

Everyone of us lives a life determined by our personal experiences. I for one, as a believer have had an experience which transcends my humanness. And it has utterly changed how I view reality. Even though I consider myself scientific, and seek evidence attached to reality, there comes a time when all of us, scientists included, are forced to believe in things we can't completely understand.

Quote from: yor_on

Yep, the guys in white coats are waiting around the corner.
Yes my friend, I see them waiting as well. But alas, if they take you away, I will be keeping you company.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: 19/04/2013 17:21:49 »
heh :)

Good on us both then Ethos.

Faith is a thing we all have as I think. We live on it, banks exist through it. Every time we go out to get something we have a trust into that what we buy is good. There is no way I see from a scientific point of view to 'know' before you used it up, if it really was 'good', or not? The best definitions we have will be statistics proving our buy to be 'better'.

Life is indeed a game of trust.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #999 on: 19/04/2013 17:21:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length