The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Dupuytren's Disease  (Read 4078 times)

Offline sandykoeck

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smallvantours.com
Dupuytren's Disease
« on: 01/09/2005 15:26:58 »
Little knots deveeloping in the palm of the hand, ("nodules").
Found somewhere "silicone injection" as treatment.
Any (more) info out there?
Doctors here don't seem to have a clue (xept the "knife" therapy which creates MORE damage!)

Sandy in Montana

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dupuytren's Disease
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2005 11:39:48 »
The nodules that develop on the palmar tendons are more a sign of wear and tear than Dupuytren's contracture which is a pronounced thickening of the palmar tissue over the fourth and fifth digits leading to a claw-like deformity of the hand.

Since the problem is caused by an accumulation of abnormal fibrous tissue, the most effective way to release the clawed fingers is a fasciectomy (surgical excision of the thickened tissue), although the outcome is variable, and the risk of recurrence can be quite high.

Offline sandykoeck

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smallvantours.com
« Reply #2 on: 07/09/2005 15:33:00 »
yep - tht'as my info!
And it is only at the 4th and 5th didit.
But SOMEWHERE I read about those silicone injections, which basically prevent further growth of the tissue and later state of  contracture, and the clawlike deformity!

No info on that, "thedoc"???

I am definitely in the "beginning" state and would like to just not GET to the "claws"!
(Probably would preventing me from riding my mororcycle and I REALLY had to commit suicide!!!)
How about this:
"It has been proved that in laboratory cultures the 5-FU barely reduces collagen reduction in normal fibroblasts, but produces a drastic reduction in the altered fibroblasts, as happens in Dupuytren's disease, acting on the gene controlling the amount of protein or the messenger. It also seems to counteract the capacity of growth factor TGF-1 to stimulate collagen production"
More???

Sandy in Montana

Offline Allison

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/09/2005 05:08:17 »
I found this:

J Hand Surg
 2002 Jun;27(3):270-3    (ISSN: 0266-7681)

Meek RM; McLellan S; Reilly J; Crossan JF
University Department of Orthopaedics, Western Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland, UK. rmdmeek@doctors.org.uk.

This study compared the rates of proliferation and apoptosis of cells within nodules of Dupuytren's disease and nodules from patients that had been injected preoperatively with steroid (Depo-Medrone). It also compared the effects of steroids in apoptosis in cultured Dupuytren's cells and control fibroblasts from palmar fascia and fascia lata. Steroids reduced the rate of fibroblast proliferation and increased the rate of apoptosis of both fibroblasts and inflammatory cells in Dupuytren's tissue. Steroids also produced apoptosis of cultured Dupuytren's cells but not of palmar fascia and fascia lata cells. [Copyright 2002 The British Society for Surgery of the Hand.].

There were a lot more articles on Medline, but I don't really know what you may or may not already know about...

Offline wolfgang_forum

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/12/2006 15:00:35 »
Sounds intersting, actaully quite similar to the effect of NAC. From which paper did you cite this?

An overview of therapies for Dupuytren (and Ledderhose) is on newbielink:http://www.dupuytren-online.info [nonactive]. At least a good starting point.

Wolfgang

yep - tht'as my info!
And it is only at the 4th and 5th didit.
But SOMEWHERE I read about those silicone injections, which basically prevent further growth of the tissue and later state of  contracture, and the clawlike deformity!

No info on that, "thedoc"???

I am definitely in the "beginning" state and would like to just not GET to the "claws"!
(Probably would preventing me from riding my mororcycle and I REALLY had to commit suicide!!!)
How about this:
"It has been proved that in laboratory cultures the 5-FU barely reduces collagen reduction in <b>normal</b> fibroblasts, but produces a drastic reduction in the <b>altered fibroblasts</b>, as happens in <u>Dupuytren's disease</u>, acting on the gene controlling the amount of protein or the messenger. It also seems to counteract the capacity of growth factor TGF-1 to stimulate collagen production"
More???

Sandy in Montana

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 07/12/2006 15:00:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums