The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Yankee Doodle Tortoise found in the fast lane!  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Yankee Doodle Tortoise found in the fast lane!
« on: 21/09/2009 11:03:40 »
A Hermann tortoise was found crossing the M25 London orbital motorway near J7 the M23 intersection.

He is thought to be about 10 years old and was microchipped in the USA, suggesting his American owners have relocated to the UK, but have not updated their address with the microchip company.

'Freeway', as he has been named, is being cared for at an animal rescue centre near Worthing, Sussex.

MOD EDIT
There's a picture here - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/18/article-1214423-067B9D1B000005DC-787_634x474.jpg

We were emailed and asked to remove the image:

Can you get your thief to remove my photo from your website before I send you a very large bill please

Eddie Mitchell

And here's a photograph of a Hermann tortoise that has been released on the GNU licence - not on a motorway, but it will have to do:

From here:  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Testudo_hermanni_hermanni_Mallorca_02.jpg
« Last Edit: 23/09/2009 17:39:06 by BenV »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Yankee Doodle Tortoise found in the fast lane!
« Reply #1 on: 21/09/2009 13:19:45 »
AWWWWWWWWW!!!
He is just lovely! Glad he is safe and sound!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 21/09/2009 13:39:06 »
Yep, he is one lucky torty, crossed 5 lanes of the motorway (freeway). The hunt is on to find his owners.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/09/2009 13:51:18 »
Yep, he is one lucky torty, crossed 5 lanes of the motorway (freeway). The hunt is on to find his owners.
Good luck! 5 lanes... outstanding he is still ambling along!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/09/2009 03:34:04 »
Obviously a fake photo. The blue sky is a dead giveaway.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 22/09/2009 09:03:55 »
Obviously a fake photo. The blue sky is a dead giveaway.
I get your drift Geezer, but I am looking out of the window this morning at a blue sky with a few white puffy bits and a big, bright sun. The current temp is (just a min while I go check)....... 16oC (its 9 am) with a forecast high of 21o. Not bad for the time of year in dear old Blighty.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/09/2009 16:23:44 »
I was being a wisenheimer! I always thought the weather in the UK was best from the middle of May to the end of June, and again in September.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23/09/2009 06:13:07 »
Looks like a lovely day!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25/09/2009 18:33:11 »
I have cancelled my subscription to the Daily Mail forthwith. Talk about brass neck! Accusing Don of being a tea-leaf. An outrage! I might even write to my MP - oh, wait a minute, I don't think I have an MP. Well, I'll write to the Scottish Parliament and propose an immediate sanction to prevent the exportation of haggis to England. I'm sure that will have a major impact.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #9 on: 26/09/2009 17:45:15 »
Well indeed!!!

My apologies, Ben, for any trouble I have put you to.

I did attribute the image to the Daily Mail, although I now realise that this image was used in other newspapers and on other websites, so, probably not the property of the DM.

Eddie Mitchell

My apologies for using your image without your authority.

However, I am not a thief. As someone with a great interest in the care and welfare of tortoises, my sole intention was to help spread the news of this poor creature, in the hope that he can be reunited with his owners without delay. We are fast approaching the time when Hermann tortoises must hibernate. Freeway needs to be with those who understand the absolute necessity for him to go through the proper procedure during the weeks before his hibernation, if he is to survive the winter.

John Formby (The man who rescued Freeway from the M25)

Firstly, I would like to thank you for rescuing Freeway.

Should you find yourself looking after Freeway, here are some points you will need to know.

Do not keep him in a vivarium, he will need a tortoise table with appropriate UV and basking lamps. You can check his weight against the Jackson Ratio to ensure he is of the right weight for his size. He should be checked by a vet and faecal samples checked for worms or protozoa. If present, he will need to be treated with Panacur, and will probably not be able to hibernate this year. He will need to be overwintered on his tortoise table.

He will need to be fed on weeds. Many green leaf vegetables we eat contain oxalic acid, which prevents the absorption of calcium. Dandelion, autumn Hawk Bits, Sow thistle, Hedge Mustard, Bristly Ox Tongue and Clover are among some of the best foods for him. NEVER give him cat or dog food. A little fruit can be given as a treat once a week. Give him a calcium suppliment and a vitamin suppliment such as Nutrobal™.

Provided he is fit and well, and is around 10 yrs old (as thought to be), in the run up to hibernation he MUST be starved. I would suggest 2 - 4 weeks would be about right (but this depends on size/weight), during this time he should be bathed in tepid, pre-boiled water daily. His gut must be completely empty before he hibernates. Any remaining food or faecal material in his system can kill him during the hibernation period.

His urine should be free from urates, the white substance in his urine. He MUST have a full bladder when going into hibernation, otherwise he will suffer dehydration and could die.

He should be hibernated at around 5oC. DO NOT allow temperatures to fall below zero. This can result in brain damage and/or death. Do not allow temperatures to exceed 10oC, or he may wake.

Use either the box or fridge hibernation method. Check him weekly. Look for any discharge around the eyes, nose, mouth and ears and the vent (cloaca) and weigh him. He should lose no more than 10% of his prehibernation weight each month. If he urinates during hibernation, he MUST be woken and MUST NOT be put back into hibernation.

Ideally he should be hibernated throughout December, January and February. At the beginning of March, he should be woken and kept on his tortoise table. As before hibernation, bathe him daily for about the first week and feed on weeds.

When the weather is good enough again, in the spring, his best place is out in the garden. Make sure your garden is tortoise friendly. Hermann tortoises are good climbers and can dig a fair hole to get under a fence. Unprotected fishponds are a killer. Also, some plants are toxic, e.g. Lobellia, Christmas Rose and Primlua: And some weeds such as Groundsel and Deadly Nightshade.

For more detailed information on caring for a tortoise, visit the Tortoise Trust or Tortoise Protection Group web sites.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26/09/2009 18:33:05 »
Oooooh. I thought Eddie worked for the DM. My bad!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 26/09/2009 18:33:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums