The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could the internet collapse?  (Read 2747 times)

Dr. Praetoria

Could the internet collapse?
« on: 01/09/2005 23:11:17 »
I heard some computer experts state that the internet is on the verge of collapse and someone could "easily" bring this about by an attack virus.  
It does seem that many twelve-year-olds are capable of such an act.

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: Could the internet collapse?
« Reply #1 on: 01/09/2005 23:16:23 »
Nah, a while back someone almost brought down enough root DNS servers but it's never going to happen. Spam e-mail is destroying bandwidth though, so unless the good 'ol US of A bring in some anti spam laws like the rest of the modern world, the internet could die! Even if the entire root DNS were hacked another machine would just take over, it's just that the net would get a bit smaller than usual for a while. The root table is maintained by the USA and they donít let anyone touch it, in theory the US could censor any content they don't like from the whole world audience, but so far they haven't!

wOw the world spins?
« Last Edit: 01/09/2005 23:19:07 by Ultima »

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/09/2005 04:51:56 »
I think you are going to see a lot more going into the switching software to either prevent some of the crap that occurs now, or at least make it more traceable.

The US government (and thereby most switch makers) are most interested in the posts to the terrorist websites right now. Our spam concerns are not theirs.

And yes, the US Government could threathen ISP's with not being listed in the table if they don't police their users better. China has already done that, but they use it for political correctness.

David

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 04/09/2005 04:51:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length