The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Different fungus without any reason?  (Read 2489 times)

Offline triple helix

• First timers
    • View Profile
Different fungus without any reason?
« on: 27/09/2009 21:02:25 »
I tried a microbio experiment at home where i put three bread pieces together.I added Salt+suger mixture on one of them and added β-galactosidase on the other.I left the third one without adding anything.I put all the pieces togather and left them for one week.As excess of sugar/salt should not support any other growth and there was no galactose in bread,I thought that the growth in all the three pieces would be the same..After one week i found that the fungus grown on the three pieses were different.What could be the reason??

Offline kmiller755

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • how to attract a man
« Reply #1 on: 30/11/2009 05:47:46 »
May I suggest a series of control experiments where you put the same salt+sugar on two pieces of bread, or beta-gal on both, etc, and see if you do indeed get the same colonies now.  Your initial hypothesis (I'm just guessing here) is that the different sugars may be contributing to different kinds of growth, but there is a competing null hypothesis which says that it doesn't matter, you'll just get lots of different kinds of fungal growth no matter what kind of sugars there are because there are so many kinds of fungal spores floating around.  For example, this experiment showed different fungus (as indicated by coloration) growing on a single piece of bread: newbielink:http://www.scienceprojectlab.com/mold-garden.html [nonactive] (scroll down for the mold garden on the bread)

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/2009 08:45:56 »
Did you work sterile?

Maybe you have airborn fungi colonies that have nothing to do with bread

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 01/12/2009 08:45:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines