The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is fluoride in drinking water safe?  (Read 4944 times)

Offline Reg T

• First timers
    • View Profile
Is fluoride in drinking water safe?
« on: 28/09/2009 08:30:06 »
Reg T  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hey Naked Scientists,

First of all, newbielink:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/ [nonactive]. I've been listening for years. Now I've finally thought of something to ask you.

Is Fluoride in drinking water a good idea or not? I know we have it in the water here in Adelaide, South Australia and if it's not a good thing it could explain some people I know. I've heard lots of conflicting ideas.

I'm not sure myself.

Also, Kat I've been listening to your music online from your myspace. Very impressive. I'm a muso myself so if any time I get to the Uk I'll be looking you up. Love to record with you.

Cheers
Reg Terrell

What do you think?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28/09/2009 09:43:09 »
There is a reason, of sorts, for the conflicting reports.
Too much fluoride in water is bad for people, but a little is a good thing.
There are two sorts of problems. Acute fluoride toxicity is rare and generally only happens if someone accidentally swalllows a fluoride based chemical.
Chronic exposure to high levels of fluoride gives rise to mottled teeth. At very high levels other problems occur but these are rare.

In some areas fluoride is added (in the form of the less toxic fluorophosphate) to the water because it reduces the level of tooth decay.

Obviously, if there were any real evidence of this causing problems they would stop doing it; after all, it costs them money.
There is a question about the government "medicating" the whole population "without their consent" but for a start the government often goes in for preventative "medicine" for example the seat belt legislation, and also if you really think it's important you can vote the government out.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 28/09/2009 20:25:13 »
Thanks, nice answer. What are the other health effects you refer to, at higher fluoride doses?

Chris

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/09/2009 20:53:53 »
It's easier to cite this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoride_poisoning#Chronic_toxicity
than to rely on my memory.

Offline waterionizerexpert

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Compare Ionizers
« Reply #4 on: 01/10/2009 18:54:30 »
Particularly the process of fluoridation of drinking water in the U.S. costs an average of about $0.92 per person-year. De fluoridation is needed when the naturally occurring fluoride level exceeds recommended limits.

So, my recommendation are to use an alkaline water for drinking compare to the above risky process of appropriate proportion. Water ionizers keep your health in good conditions and also makes your immunity systems more stronger than before

[MOD EDIT - THIS IS UTTER, UNSUBSTANTIATED TRIPE. PLEASE DESIST FROM WRITING UNSUPPORTED, SCIENTIFICALLY FLAWED MISLEADING RUBBISH LIKE THIS AGAIN. THANKS. CHRIS]
« Last Edit: 02/10/2009 08:23:56 by chris »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/10/2009 19:21:00 »
This sentence
"Water ionizers keep your health in good conditions and also makes your immunity systems more stronger than before"
seems to have triggered my bullshit detector.

Offline wanhafizi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/10/2009 01:32:48 »
Get ready for a conspiracy theory;

Fluoride was used in Nazi's Concentration camps. It was said that prisoners who take Fluoride will be easier to handle.

http://www.infonews.co.nz/news.cfm?l=1&t=0&id=17791

There are lots of concern about Fluoride. Many people actually believe there are adverse effect using it. But knowing politicians, well... Fluoridation has been done years ago, and no one really bother to rechecked it now.

Offline Reg T

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/10/2009 09:23:53 »
The reason I sent in this question was that my Father received a pamphlet in the mail advertising a book that some so called expert had written. The claim was that Fluoride promotes the uptake of Aluminium which in turn leads to a greater risk of Alhzeimers. You know it seemed like a stretch to me but not being an expert I thought I would query.
Now I know that the CDC listed  Flouride drinking water as 1 of the 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century, but I don't know.
I drink around 2 litres of water a day so I'm kind of curious if I'm to have a forgetful future.
Reg T 

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/10/2009 19:22:06 »
There are parts of the world where fluoride levels are naturally high. There has been a lot of research into Altzheimer's etc.
I think if there were really a link it would have been all over the front page of Nature (and then the newspapers) rather than in a flyer.
BTW, call me a cynic- was the flyer advertising a filter of some sort?

Offline Reg T

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/10/2009 00:32:53 »
No it wasn't advertising a filter, just an overpriced book with the authors ugly face on the cover.
It appeared to me to be just another attempt to worry people. I guess it's one way to sell books.
We certainly didn't buy it though.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 07/10/2009 00:32:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums