The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Fun with Physics  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Steve Vai

• View Profile
Fun with Physics
« on: 04/09/2005 18:45:58 »
there are many many things you can do that could be deemed 'fun' with chemistry, like making things go bang, changing things colour etc, how about physics? is there any amusing things or practical jokes that are particularly physics related (bar putting buckets of water on doors)?

"Turkeys killed my family" - Chip, 02/09/2005, 12:49

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: Fun with Physics
« Reply #1 on: 04/09/2005 20:00:56 »
I think chemistry has more fun things to do than Physics. Most fun stuff Physics has going for it is electricity and magnetism related. Electromagnets are quite fun since you can make strong ones quite easily and switch them on and off. Microwaves are one of the most fun things around! Some cool things you can do involving glasses of milk and dead light bulbs. Static electricity is fun to, making hair stick up and balloons stick to things. Considering someone in my A Level class got an A Level by just making paper aeroplanes I guess that must be Physics to! Tesla coils are rad! and not that hard to make if you are willing to fork out for a massive capacitor.

Microwaves are fun: http://members.tripod.com/~hochwald/microwave/micro.html http://margo.student.utwente.nl/el/microwave/  :D

wOw the world spins?
« Last Edit: 04/09/2005 20:04:22 by Ultima »

ROBERT

« Reply #2 on: 09/12/2005 18:35:13 »
A cheap and simple physics trick is to make a paperclip float on water, (it is supported by surface tension).

1.The water must be free of detergent,(soap lowers surface tension).
2.Place a piece of tissue paper on the surface of the water,
place the paperclip on the paper, then carefully sink the paper.
Coating the paper clip with oil from you skin helps it repel water.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 09/12/2005 18:35:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums