The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do girls get pimples on their faces?  (Read 35008 times)

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why do girls get pimples on their faces?
« on: 29/09/2009 09:45:06 »
Why do they say that in your teenage years it's normal to get pimple? And why do sometimes people who are more then 20 years old still have pimples on their faces?

« Last Edit: 15/03/2016 07:54:51 by chris »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why do girls get pimples on thier faces?
« Reply #1 on: 29/09/2009 10:28:06 »
I still wake with one now and again when  I switch soap or facial cleaning regime.. I am pretty good if I do not very on cleansers or facial scrubbing material.. I have an oily t zone so a wash cloth with soap and a good scrub in the morning really has to be consistant as well as evening routine... if I change it up boom pimple.. I cannot use face lotions as they cause problems just soap and water...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/09/2009 11:50:27 »
Why do they say that in your teenage its normal to get pimple? and why do we've pimple and sometimes people are more then 20 still they've pimples on thier faces? why is that so? ???

Regardless that is a lovely face !

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/09/2009 14:24:50 »
Teens get acne because of hormonal changes during puberty (as if they don't have enough to deal with). Special glands (sebaceous) make oil (called sebum) for skin and hair lubrication. Most of the time the glands make just the right amount, but during puberty or times of high stress (which is why it can occur in adults) hormones stimulate the sebaceous glands and they over produce clogging the pores. When bacteria gets trapped inside acne starts.

If your parents had acne the chances of you having it also are high.

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/09/2009 14:10:53 »
If your parents had acne the chances of you having it also are high.

My parents both've a very beautiful skin and they say that even in thier teenage they didn't had even one pimple on their face. [:-'(]

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/09/2009 14:53:10 »
The skin condition of the person in the photo may not be acne ...

Some of the markings correspond with neurology, e.g. the diagonal line across the nose.

This person should see a doctor who specializes in skin conditions: a dermatologist.
« Last Edit: 01/10/2009 02:55:06 by RD »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #6 on: 30/09/2009 17:18:59 »
JnA
As you wrote, the over production of skin & hair oils which trap bacteria are a cause of acne. There are a number of antibacterial face washes designed to help this problem and special  soaps for 'oily skin'.

Do you think that those soaps for oily skins may be counter productive, in that they dry the skin to the extent that yet more oils are produced to replace the washed away oil? Could it also be the case that antibacterial soaps are similarly counter productive because they too must strip away the skin's oils?

Could it be preferable to use a mild soap, and not too often, so as to prevent a build up of surface oils?

Just a couple of wild thoughts.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/10/2009 00:14:55 »
This is an image of vasculitis, note the lines/bands across the nose (corresponding with superficial neurology).

« Last Edit: 23/02/2014 12:41:54 by RD »

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/10/2009 01:37:57 »
JnA
As you wrote, the over production of skin & hair oils which trap bacteria are a cause of acne. There are a number of antibacterial face washes designed to help this problem and special  soaps for 'oily skin'.

Do you think that those soaps for oily skins may be counter productive, in that they dry the skin to the extent that yet more oils are produced to replace the washed away oil? Could it also be the case that antibacterial soaps are similarly counter productive because they too must strip away the skin's oils?

Could it be preferable to use a mild soap, and not too often, so as to prevent a build up of surface oils?

Just a couple of wild thoughts.

Hi Don

yes I agree with you.  I guess that's why they advocate one also use a (light) moisturiser to help protect the skin as well.

I suspect our lifestyles and modern living contributes to the condition. Air not as clean so the amount of washing would depend on your location as well as your genetics.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01/10/2009 06:10:50 »
I think it would be a good thing if more research was conducted in this field. I suffered a lot from this condition when I was in my teens, and I still have outbreaks (more than 40 years later). Sadly, I seem to have passed the condition on to my children

My dad was a pharmacist and we tried lots of things, but nothing really seemed to help much.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01/10/2009 07:04:02 »
This is an image of vasculitis, note the lines/bands across the nose (corresponding with superficial neurology).

I doo see what you are speaking of RD... it is pretty apparent in both photos even the first one!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01/10/2009 07:17:09 »
I think it would be a good thing if more research was conducted in this field. I suffered a lot from this condition when I was in my teens, and I still have outbreaks (more than 40 years later). Sadly, I seem to have passed the condition on to my children

My dad was a pharmacist and we tried lots of things, but nothing really seemed to help much.

For really bad acne there is Retinol, if you don't mind taking the chance it may cause psychosis.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #12 on: 01/10/2009 08:20:16 »
Fortunately, I did not suffer from bad acne when I was a kiddlypop, but my brother did. His was so bad, that our GP was consulted. This was back in the 19(cough, cough, splutter)'s.

"When?", Look, I just told you and I do not repeat myself, do you understand, I do not repeat myself!

Now matters cosmetic were not really treated, back in those days, by your GP, but he was so bad the Doc got involved. He was told to use a UV lamp, given an antibacterial to apply after washing and, to help purify the blood, sulphur tablets.

You can imagine, the use of the UV lamp made him look like a belisha beacon. But this was for the best, since you could see him coming from a mile off, and beat a hasty retreat. Why? Because the sulphur tablets had turned him into a walking human volcano. And I had to share a bedroom with him!!! Mind, I had no trouble sleeping. I was gassed into oblivion.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 01/10/2009 08:20:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length