The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does Cuthbert The Cricket Determine The Temperature ?  (Read 3935 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Cricketologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff temperatures. Temperatures are my all time favourite things that let me know how hot or cold things are. Well done to the person who invented them !

See Cuthbert here ?

Cuthbert The Cricket.

He's a fine fellow, he's a happy chappy who luffs to chirp all day long.
I've been told that one can discover how hot it is by the number of chirps that Cuthbert does. How's that then ?  How can I really tell how hot it is by Cuthberts chirps ?

As a firm believer in empirical study I stuck Cuthbert in the oven and proceeded to observe and listen, nothing happened so I turned it on............. hmmm...maybe I should have not used the microwave..so..no luck there !

can ewe help ?

hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !

Neil
Cuthbert Made A Chirp Like A Chirping bat
But Microwaving..... And He Went Splat !
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

now that's kwality poemage and ewe know it !!

« Last Edit: 29/09/2009 12:33:49 by neilep »

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
How Does Cuthbert The Cricket Determine The Temperature ?
« Reply #1 on: 29/09/2009 14:55:55 »
I had vaguely heard this some times ago.. but all the calculations seem to be in Fahrenheit  and I'm strictly a Celsius girl... anywho... a quick google suggests a few slightly differing formulas, so I'm guessing it's not an exact science.

Crickets are cold blooded. so it's not a stretch to think they would 'chirp' faster in warmer weather and slower in colder weather.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/09/2009 15:59:46 »
I had vaguely heard this some times ago.. but all the calculations seem to be in Fahrenheit  and I'm strictly a Celsius girl... anywho... a quick google suggests a few slightly differing formulas, so I'm guessing it's not an exact science.

Crickets are cold blooded. so it's not a stretch to think they would 'chirp' faster in warmer weather and slower in colder weather.

Thanks JnA..I'm strictly a Celsius sheep also.

Ewe mean there are actual formulas out there ?...cripes !..did people get funding to conduct these studies I wonder !

So, cricket chirping is a form of cooling down for Cuthbert. Yes, yes..I see what ewe mean, the hotter it is, the faster the chirp !

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/09/2009 16:07:12 »
Ewe mean there are actual formulas out there ?...cripes !..did people get funding to conduct these studies I wonder !

I guess.. or someone was bored while they were waiting for their agar plate to culture or something

So, cricket chirping is a form of cooling down for Cuthbert. Yes, yes..I see what ewe mean, the hotter it is, the faster the chirp !

no I don't think it's a form of 'cooling down'  more that their metabolic rate is faster in warmer weather allowing them to 'chirp' (it's actually called stirdulation) faster. I think crickets stirdulate for mate attraction and to warn other males to back off.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/09/2009 16:16:53 »

I guess.. or someone was bored while they were waiting for their agar plate to culture or something

no I don't think it's a form of 'cooling down'  more that their metabolic rate is faster in warmer weather allowing them to 'chirp' (it's actually called stirdulation) faster. I think crickets stirdulate for mate attraction and to warn other males to back off.

woo !!..I'm just glad I don't have to stirdulate !..

Ok...so one could probably make musical instruments from keeping crickets at different temperatures in different length hollow tubes.

yes..yes I am sure this would work.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/09/2009 16:28:20 »

Ok...so one could probably make musical instruments from keeping crickets at different temperatures in different length hollow tubes.

yes..yes I am sure this would work.

Brilliant!  Different sizes and sepcies would give you different tones... quick get it past the animal liberationists and world tour before someone steals the idea.

I await Neilep & Cuthberts fine orchestral renditions Australian tour eagerly.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #6 on: 29/09/2009 16:37:12 »
So Buddy Holly was backed by a bunch of......... No surely not!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 29/09/2009 16:37:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums