The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are The Lightest & Heaviest Solids & What Are They Used For ?  (Read 7489 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Solidologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff solid stuff !...solids are my all time favourite three dimensional things with no gaps in them whatsoever !

Look, here I am being fed some solids:

Me Being Fed Solid Peas !

Of course , there are other things in the world that are also solid, not just a small green vegetable...there are bricks, toenails and sandwiches...all these things display their amazing ability to be solid.

But what is the lightest and what is the heaviest solid ?..and what are they used for ?

I think the lightest is a sand or a salt and the heaviest is a tank !...

whajafink ?

hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

Neil
Solid Investigator
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
The heaviest solid is gold. It is used to please, or appease, the female of the species. They do rather tend to be even more pleased, or appeased, when it is encrusted with precious gem stones, such as diamonds, rubys and the like.

Unfortunately, its a tad on the expensive side...... vis

Wallet before purchase:-

Item purchased:-

By William Goldberg. This lovely necklace is pieced together from 45 carats of fancy coloured diamonds, every last one of them natural and micro set in platinum and 18-carat yellow gold. (A snip at just $2m)

Wallet after purchase:-

Me after purchase:-

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Is gold the heaviest solid ?..gosh !!..even heavier than rice paper ?...all I know is that I desperately somehow....want to  get Don (Peringon) to buy me a nice gold/platinum necklace with coloured diamonds in it. anyone who carries two million dollars in their wallet is already my bestest chum !!

*sheepy bats eyelids and flutters them copiously at Mr Donate-to-sheepy, in the hope that sheepy will turn Dons tears of woe into those of joy..because making Sheepy happy makes ewe happy !!..yes..yes...this is true !!*

I'll even be your bitch-sheep !!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Alas, my dear sheepy, as you can see, the lightest thing is now my wallet!

So sadly I shall be unable to donate a piece of fine jewellery for you to don at your next appearance on 'One Man & his Dog'.

This also means, I suppose, that I will never know what it is to have an ovine bitch. But I think I can live with that.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If you put all the world's known gold in one place it still wouldn't be a very heavy solid. Roughly half as heavy as the great pyramid (according to some vague numbers I found on the web).
On the other hand gold is pretty dense.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Solids of the heavier elements are heavier. D'oh

Something to do with Avogadro's number

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Alas, my dear sheepy, as you can see, the lightest thing is now my wallet!

So sadly I shall be unable to donate a piece of fine jewellery for you to don at your next appearance on 'One Man & his Dog'.

This also means, I suppose, that I will never know what it is to have an ovine bitch. But I think I can live with that.

I'm losing my touch !...

I sympathise dearly with the lightness of your wallet !..i do !...if ewe can prevail upon me your credit card details** I will make amends ! ..ewe will see that I am a benevolent philanthropic sheep !

** start date, end date, last 3 numbers on back of card, house number and post code numbers please ! Thanks !

« Last Edit: 30/09/2009 21:01:12 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
If you put all the world's known gold in one place it still wouldn't be a very heavy solid. Roughly half as heavy as the great pyramid (according to some vague numbers I found on the web).
On the other hand gold is pretty dense.

Thanks BC...Does this mean that a pyramid is more solid than gold ?..what about a pyramid of gold ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

Mmmmmmm..I luff    yummy !!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
The heaviest solid is neutronium.

I'm not sure if the lightest solid is hydrogen or helium (when super-cooled, of course).

Hydrogen is lighter, but has a higher melting point than Helium, which can only be solidified under pressure.  Solidified Helium can also be compressed a lot (wikipedia reckons by 30%), so I'm not sure which has the highest (minimum) density.  IIRC, solidified hydrogen is classed as a metal.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Gold (atomic mass 197) is roughly twice as dense as lead (atomic mass 207)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Aerogel is quite incredible. But I'll bet it would cost a pretty penny to use it in place of fibre glass insulation.

An insulated extreme weather jacket selling for $280, using conventional materials, goes up to $550 when aerogel is used. But if you are prone to afternnon stroll's in antartica, it could be a worthy investment.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums