The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: THROMBOSIS !!!  (Read 2799 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
THROMBOSIS !!!
« on: 05/09/2005 22:36:38 »
Chris !!..or any other person in the know on thrombosis...

wifey had a drip in her arm at about wrist level when sprog was being born...now three weeks later she's still got the most awful pain where the needle was inside and there is a definite lump too.

Our GP says it's thrombosis and should eventully subside....is this generally correct ?....I gather it's not on the same scale as Deep Vein Thrombosis and that we needn't start panicking , but is there anything else we can do to alleviate her discomfort ?......I asked her and she's not willing to amputate !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: THROMBOSIS !!!
« Reply #1 on: 26/09/2005 19:16:35 »
hi Neil

sorry, I missed this at the time.

Thrombosis is a medical term meaning "blot clot", as in "deep venous thrombosis" (DVT). Thromboses can occur in any blood vessel and are the result of activating the blood's clotting system.

Blood doesn't usually clot inside veins, capillaries and arteries because the vessel walls are coated in the equivalent of anatomical teflon, i.e. they're very slippery, and they also secrete anti-coagulant substances. But if the wall becomes damaged, disrupting the teflon coating and the ability of the wall to secrete anti-coagulants, then the blood clots, sticking itself to the damaged area to effect repair and prevent bleeding.

If you jam a big needle into a vein it causes trauma to the vein wall and presents a foreign surface to the blood, promoting coagulation. This is why your wife now has a big hard bump in her arm - it's a polymer of the protein fibrin with lots of red blood cells glued into it, plugging the vessel.

Fortunately such thromboses are slowly degraded again and they eventually re-canalate, re-endothelialise (grow a new teflon lining), and beging to carry blood normally again.

It is a pain, but it will go away and in a small vein like the arm will not cause any other health problems. There are plenty of collateral vessels which blood can take to get back into the body.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/09/2005 21:44:23 »
Thanks Chris....Wifeys a lot better now but it's still there albeit mildly now.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 26/09/2005 21:44:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums