The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is it dangerous to re-heat food?  (Read 4050 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Why is it dangerous to re-heat food?
« on: 03/10/2009 10:29:31 »
I had one of those ready-made curries from M&S the other day & in bold letters it stated "DO NOT REHEAT". Why not?

When I cook a curry, spag bol, casserole, etc I usually cook enough for 2 dinners so I re-heat the leftovers the next day. I've never had a problem with doing that. So why should some ready-made meals not be re-heated? Is it an advertising ploy to make us buy more or are there genuine health implications?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2009 10:56:21 »
MAybe a bit of butt covering. But I guess they are trying to save you from getting sick. Good food practices will minimise any dramas that may occur from reheating, but they can't be sure that everyone is going to follow good food practices, so they add the warning.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2009 11:39:33 »
As JnA wrote, I believe it just covering their butt. I have many times put a 'ding' meal in the old microwave and then had to re-heat it because I got side-tracked just as the ding donged. So long as its properly heated I don't see any problem.

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/10/2009 13:22:57 »
Normaly re-heating isn't a problem, but like JnA wrote, not following proper food safety procedures can lead to problems.
If you want to re-heat a meal the next day, simply make sure it's stored in the fridge and heated properly. That way bad bacteria have less chances to grow and are killed by the heat.
Letting a meal sit outside a fridge for a day and then re-heat it, can be a problem with some foods like mushrooms. The protein in the shrooms is apparently very sensitive and can go off easily. Food poisoning isn't that much fun. So if your stomach is delicate or your immune system is weak, I'd be careful. Other than that, re-heating isn't a problem, I'd say.

Butt covering has become very important in our sue happy times. It isn't that bad yet in Germany, but we get our share in blatantly obvious warnings as well.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2009 19:25:55 »
Thank you, dear peoples of sciency knowledge  ;D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2009 19:25:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums