The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do Some Large Families Have Mainly Boys Or Girls ?  (Read 8278 times)

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Dearest Scientific Peeps Of  Klevernuss De La High IQ,


As a sheepy I am of course responsible for the birth of multiple lambs, it is my raison d'etre !

There are cases when no matter how many times I service a ewe the result is always the same..a lamb of the same gender as it's sibling.

This can happen in humans too....sometimes with disastrous consequences !!!  :o




See What I Mean ?





How does this happen ?.....Is it by extraordinary coincidence or is there a biological predispositiony thing happening here ?..is it a male or a female thing or a combination of both ?


I wish I knew...If I did know...I would not need to have ask this kweschun !


Can ewe help me understand the nature of multiple same sex siblings ?



Hugs & Shmishes



mwah mwah mwah mwah !



Neil
I Luff Crazy Horses
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


 

Offline JnA

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1093
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Why Do Some Large Families Have Mainly Boys Or Girls ?
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2009 15:28:31 »
I'm not sure the quantity of 'some' calls for a reason, but if the sperm is coming from the same source, there would be instances where one sex has a higher probability.
They say air fighter pilots and elite athletes tend to have more girls.
 

Offline RD

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 8134
  • Thanked: 53 times
    • View Profile
Why Do Some Large Families Have Mainly Boys Or Girls ?
« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2009 20:59:07 »
Immune disorder can cause a bias for male live birth ...

Quote
... more boys were born than girls to women with sporadic abortion. It is concluded that male fetuses are more likely to survive than females in allo-immune RSA due to allo-immune reproductive wastage of chromosomally normal female concept in early human pregnancy, and that allo-immune RSA makes up the highest proportion of unexplained RSA.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15353082

At the risk of stating the obvious ...

Quote
Mormons are unenthusiastic about contraception.
    "It is an act of extreme selfishness for a married couple to refuse to have children when they are able to do so".
President Kimball
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/mormon/socialvalues/ethics_2.shtml

Quote
Church apostle Heber C. Kimball had forty-three wives, and had sixty-five children by seventeen different women
  [:0]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_marriage
« Last Edit: 05/10/2009 21:10:15 by RD »
 

Offline JnA

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1093
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Why Do Some Large Families Have Mainly Boys Or Girls ?
« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2009 00:57:49 »

Quote
Church apostle Heber C. Kimball had forty-three wives, and had sixty-five children by seventeen different women
  [:0]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_marriage


28 got away with it.
 

Offline RD

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 8134
  • Thanked: 53 times
    • View Profile
Why Do Some Large Families Have Mainly Boys Or Girls ?
« Reply #4 on: 06/10/2009 04:18:49 »
Quote
Church apostle Heber C. Kimball had forty-three wives, and had sixty-five children by seventeen different women
  [:0]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_marriage

An upstanding member of the church   :)
« Last Edit: 06/10/2009 04:20:55 by RD »
 

Offline Pwee

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 114
    • View Profile
Why Do Some Large Families Have Mainly Boys Or Girls ?
« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2009 13:59:43 »
It is commonly known that there are more boys born during and after wars and big conflicts.
Here is a recent article that trys to explain the phenomena.
The article is discussed here too.
Perhaps it can help you with your question too.
 

Offline Don_1

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 6890
  • Thanked: 7 times
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Why Do Some Large Families Have Mainly Boys Or Girls ?
« Reply #6 on: 06/10/2009 14:20:24 »


See What I Mean ?


I Luff Crazy Horses*
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


You should be ashamed of yourself! Posting such obscene pictures here.

*I would have thought 'Bah Bah Black Sheep**' would have been more to your taste.

**For the benefit of the 'PC Brigade' - 'Bah (or possibly whoof , meow or moo) Bah not necessarily White Sheep (or possibly Cauliflower)'
 

Offline Nizzle

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 964
  • Thanked: 1 times
  • Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
Why Do Some Large Families Have Mainly Boys Or Girls ?
« Reply #7 on: 06/10/2009 16:00:52 »
In some cases, the mother can carry a recessive illness leading to a deadly birth defect on the X-chromosome. In this case, 50% of the fertilized eggs that would become male die before birth, which gives this specific couple already a 67% chance on daughters and a 33% chance on sons only.

M-F
X-Y: Healthy boy
x-Y: Boy dies before birth
X-X: Healthy girl
x-X: carrier girl
Conclusion: Only 1 out of the three children that will actually be born will be a boy.

I could think of other scenario's but atm i'm too lazy to type alot :)
« Last Edit: 06/10/2009 16:04:29 by Nizzle »
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Why Do Some Large Families Have Mainly Boys Or Girls ?
« Reply #7 on: 06/10/2009 16:00:52 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums