The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do women spend less time in science forums?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
Do women spend less time in science forums?
« on: 10/10/2009 14:49:48 »
Are women represented fewer in numbers at sites like this? Do they spend less time writing, researching, commenting forums/blogs/ like this? I have the "feeling" that it is so, but no real data. If so, how come more men spend more time here or at similar sites?

No judgment. Just curious.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/10/2009 15:16:25 »
Are women represented fewer in numbers at sites like this? Do they spend less time writing, researching, commenting forums/blogs/ like this? I have the "feeling" that it is so, but no real data. If so, how come more men spend more time here or at similar sites?

No judgment. Just curious.
answer n.1: men like to give a personal "mark" to a thread, using the written words (...something like a...hit with a sword :)).
Waiting for answer n.2 (probably better than n.1...)

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/10/2009 18:03:24 »
Yeah I reckon that there's just more male nerds than female nerds, which is a shame, I'd love to meet an attractive science nerd chick :) Do they exist? :p

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/10/2009 13:53:07 »
Another science forum I visit did some demographics and found that the 'average' person posting was Male, between 40-45 and single.

Make of that what ye will

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #4 on: 11/10/2009 15:18:02 »
Are the women just too busy with other activities, e.g. raising a family? And single men (or those who participate less) can "waste" their time in forums as this one?

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #5 on: 15/10/2009 12:03:25 »
Yea i agree that there are more men on the forum than women, because we can come and visit here while waiting on our dinner ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/10/2009 15:32:00 »
I agree with Nizzle. It's hard work writing on a forum like this. All girlies need do is apply make up, do the school run and make dinner and keep house clean. Sometimes, I wonder if it's appreciated by girlies how hard it is for us blokes to be here.   ;D

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #7 on: 18/10/2009 12:14:52 »
Actually, the Naked Scientists doesn't perform too badly in terms of gender balance. The podcast listenership comprises about 1/3'rd female 2/3'rds male, which we attribute to our efforts to have a balanced presenting team and a mix of contributors.

On this forum, based on the registration data, the ratio is also about 2 to 1 in favour of men.

In general think some women are put off by very "blokey" environments, and science fora can become a bit like that, so I'd be interested in the opinions of our female users as to how could address this, or whether we even should?

For instance, there may be other online fora where the reverse ratio (women outnumber men) is the case. I'm also very much against the Harriet Harman approach, which I think smacks of tokenism and "positive" discrimination, which is still discrimination however you choose to look at it.

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 18/10/2009 12:14:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums