The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Look What I Just Got !!  (Read 10803 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Look What I Just Got !!
« on: 10/10/2009 23:48:31 »
Nice eh ?

was delivered ....erhmm...Thursday !

« Last Edit: 11/10/2009 17:34:22 by neilep »

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Look What I Just Got !!
« Reply #1 on: 10/10/2009 23:55:28 »
Oh.... My.... goodness....

clean up your room!

is that a scope in your room or are you just happy to see me. (you probably could see me with that... well, if the earth wasn't so round and all)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 10/10/2009 23:56:01 »
Stone me!!! That's a serious looking magnifying glass. Was it free with 6 pack tops of corn flakes?

The neighbours had better keep their curtains drawn now, come to think of it, I'd better keep my curtains drawn too! And you Karen.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/10/2009 00:11:21 »
Oh.... My.... goodness....

clean up your room!

is that a scope in your room or are you just happy to see me. (you probably could see me with that... well, if the earth wasn't so round and all)

I'm always pleased to see ewe !.....:-)  Yes, it is rather a mess !...lots of boxes for the cats to jump in and out of !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/10/2009 00:14:51 »
Stone me!!! That's a serious looking magnifying glass. Was it free with 6 pack tops of corn flakes?

The neighbours had better keep their curtains drawn now, come to think of it, I'd better keep my curtains drawn too! And you Karen.

yes..yes...it was the toy inside of a christmas cracker !

My neighbours need not worry..I already have all the holes I need drilled into their walls.

Wifey is a little upset as it takes up the whole room !...I can't really see what all the fuss is about because she has shoes and handbags !

........all I need do now is figure out what all the things do..it has dials and stuff and it has declination this and azimuth that !!..I have not got a clue !!...I need help !

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 11/10/2009 00:32:11 »
Ah! Now, bein' as wot I is, a bit of a Patricia Moore or less, perhaps I can be of some assistance.

First, stick one end out of the window.
NOT THAT END!!! Good grief, you can get arrested for that! One end of the TELESCOPE.

Now, you see the whatjamacallit next to the thingamajig, well that needs to aligned so that the dojamaflip is perpendicular with the whatsistname. Now take the howsyourfather off the whateveritsnameis and Bob's yer uncle.

Any other problems, just let me know.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/10/2009 01:12:08 »
Holy Crap! That's the biggest one I've seen in ages.

Are you going put it up on your roof? You'll need to build a Sheepy Dome over it.

Let us know how it works out. I'm tempted to get a 10 or 12 inch Newtonian, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/10/2009 01:26:17 »
Ah! Now, bein' as wot I is, a bit of a Patricia Moore or less, perhaps I can be of some assistance.

First, stick one end out of the window.
NOT THAT END!!! Good grief, you can get arrested for that! One end of the TELESCOPE.

Now, you see the whatjamacallit next to the thingamajig, well that needs to aligned so that the dojamaflip is perpendicular with the whatsistname. Now take the howsyourfather off the whateveritsnameis and Bob's yer uncle.

Any other problems, just let me know.

*smiles*

I've done all that Don !...and now I need £200 for bail !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/10/2009 01:28:18 »
Holy Crap! That's the biggest one I've seen in ages.

Are you going put it up on your roof? You'll need to build a Sheepy Dome over it.

Let us know how it works out. I'm tempted to get a 10 or 12 inch Newtonian, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Isn't Holy Crap what the pope does ?

This is an 8 inch newtonian . Patrick Moore well likes it http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes/sky-watcher/newtonian_reflectors/explorer-200p_eq5

..........as ewe can see from the picture on the site...it looks a lot smaller !!(yes yes..I KNOW that it's not showing ACTUAL size !!)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11/10/2009 01:36:38 »
......all I need do now is figure out what all the things do..it has dials and stuff and it has declination this and azimuth that !!..I have not got a clue !!...I need help !

The manufacturer has a "knowledge base" website ...
http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/knowledge_base.php

Offline @@

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/10/2009 01:47:46 »
that is a serious bit of kit neilep, ive recently purchased a 127mm(5") mak cass telescope and am very pleased with it.

have you got round to doing the "polar alignment" stuff?  ive downloaded a instruction pdf for mine and am in the process of finding out how thick i am :)

what lenses do you have? ive a 10mm a 25mm and a 4mm and im wanting a decent barlow lens

jupiter looks brilliant and the moon is superb esp when not full, i havnt seen saturn yet, im really looking forward to that

have fun and enjoy

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11/10/2009 01:53:02 »

No. That would be pontifical crap.

I was thinking of something like this.
http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=dobsonians/~pcategory=telescopes/~product_id=08947

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/10/2009 01:56:20 »
that is a serious bit of kit neilep, ive recently purchased a 127mm(5") mak cass telescope and am very pleased with it.

have you got round to doing the "polar alignment" stuff?  ive downloaded a instruction pdf for mine and am in the process of finding out how thick i am :)

what lenses do you have? ive a 10mm a 25mm and a 4mm and im wanting a decent barlow lens

jupiter looks brilliant and the moon is superb esp when not full, i havnt seen saturn yet, im really looking forward to that

have fun and enjoy

aww..thanks @@....I only managed to put it together last night !....and it's full of things that I have no idea about !..always a good place to start eh ?

I really have no idea...all about collimation this and declination that and azimuth this and it has lots of dials and stuff..........well..you get the idea !......I've joined a couple fo astronomy forums where I am finding them to be a really good resource!...but I am a full and total novice

....as soon as I do get sorted out I'll start posting pictures !!..can't wait to see Jupiter !

yes, I have a 10mm, a 25mm  and a 2x Barlow...and a camera adaptor...which means I now need to buy a SLR !

congrats on your purhcase too.......sounds like you've been having fun already !!..YAYYY !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11/10/2009 02:00:27 »

No. That would be pontifical crap.

I was thinking of something like this.
http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=dobsonians/~pcategory=telescopes/~product_id=08947

If the pope was pooing this :

It'll be Hole-y crap !!

woo !!..that's a sexy bit of kit geezer !!...me luff !!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11/10/2009 02:09:12 »
You may not need to get a SLR. There are photosensor arrays that attach directly to the scope and feed the image to your PC. If the scope has a drive, you can track objects over time and build up an image of really faint objects. There is a lot of software available (some of it free) to help with this.

The Orion link I posted has some of these sensors. I would think somebody is selling them in the UK.

Here's one

http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=astro-imaging_camera/~pcategory=astro-imaging/~product_id=52080
« Last Edit: 11/10/2009 02:13:22 by Geezer »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11/10/2009 02:10:42 »
... which means I now need to buy a SLR !

A webcam can be used ...

http://www.webcaddy.com.au/astro/webcam_achieve.htm
« Last Edit: 11/10/2009 02:16:26 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11/10/2009 02:33:45 »
Excellent pics RD...but I can't drag my Pc out stargazing and attach it to my scope to connect it to my webcam !!...I don't have enuff sticky tape for that !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11/10/2009 07:35:44 »

Woooooo whooooo...Does that mean I have a Peeping Tom.now...?

Hummmmmmm Don_1, you  best help me figure out a new night time wardrobe, uhhh, or my way out of the night time wardrobe.... LOL we'll arrange some late night shows for Sheepy's new Scope! LOL...LOL... What you gonna wears... I might wear this....

Hey Don.. I don't think Neily knows what really lies beneath a blanket of stars!!!!..LOL..

Now I am baring my soul or skin on TNS LOL and I cannot quit laughing!! Hee hee hee...

« Last Edit: 11/10/2009 08:10:41 by Karen W. »

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #18 on: 11/10/2009 11:04:39 »
My former housemate bought a 6" Newtonian telescope some time ago and I spent a few hours helping him get it set up. The biggest issue was that the telescope has such a narrow field of view (the moon more-than fills the total area of the viewfinder) that it was very difficult to figure out where it was pointing. It's also tricky because if the the eyepiece focus is too far out, you won't see anything at all either.

With a bit of luck, you can find the moon and sort out the focus - make a mark on the control - it should be much the same focus for eveything in the sky!

(If you look at the moon at the boundary between light and dark - where the sun is hitting the moon at a glancing angle, making lots of contrast, you should see clearly lots of mountains and craters and stuff. You need to touch the scope controls very gently and not touch the eyepiece with your head else it goes all wobbly and yo won't see much.)

Then you need to align the "finder" scope (a small low-magnification / wider field of view) scope on the side so it's pointing in the exact same direction as the main scope. Once that's done, you can use the small scope (which shows you more of the sky) to point the main scope in the correct direction.

If you have the stand and swivels all set up correctly it'll help you keep stars in view as the earth rotates by just twiddling one control. If you just plonk it down randomly then you'll have to tweak both azimuth and elevation to keep things centred. But for the first few views, it probably doesn't matter.

That's one big telescope Neilep. Have you got a dark sky near you though?

You'll soon be needing accessories... like a woolly hat and gloves!
And lots and lots of patience.
« Last Edit: 11/10/2009 11:09:50 by techmind »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #19 on: 11/10/2009 11:49:28 »
Sheepy has been up all night playing with his huge thingy. Silly billy, doesn't he know he could go blind doing that, then what'll he do with his telescope?

Here are some of his first major finds:

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11/10/2009 12:55:52 »
Thats a really sexy outfit Don_1...did you have to shave your legs for that shot??? LOL

Thats  sexier then my outfit!!! LOL...I just thought he might like all those sparkley stars.....LOL...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11/10/2009 12:57:38 »
There should be many sights dedicated to the amateur and beginner sky watchers...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11/10/2009 13:40:53 »
You may not need to get a SLR. There are photosensor arrays that attach directly to the scope and feed the image to your PC. If the scope has a drive, you can track objects over time and build up an image of really faint objects. There is a lot of software available (some of it free) to help with this.

The Orion link I posted has some of these sensors. I would think somebody is selling them in the UK.

Here's one

http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=astro-imaging_camera/~pcategory=astro-imaging/~product_id=52080

Thanks Mr Geezer sir for this valuable nugget if info...My plan (as a sheepy of course) is to own my own space telescope....but, at the moment...££££'s most seriously dictate how far I can go. Though, I have always wanted one..I feel it prudent (lol..that's me attempting to be sensible).....to see how well I do with this. I've heard this particular scope with the mount that I have is very very upgradeable and I can see that a motor driven-goto motor thingy will be my next step..although...perhaps a few new lenses will be be a small treat in the mean time !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11/10/2009 13:42:16 »

Woooooo whooooo...Does that mean I have a Peeping Tom.now...?

Hummmmmmm Don_1, you  best help me figure out a new night time wardrobe, uhhh, or my way out of the night time wardrobe.... LOL we'll arrange some late night shows for Sheepy's new Scope! LOL...LOL... What you gonna wears... I might wear this....

Hey Don.. I don't think Neily knows what really lies beneath a blanket of stars!!!!..LOL..  ;D ;)

Now I am baring my soul or skin on TNS LOL and I cannot quit laughing!! Hee hee hee...

LOL..Karen...ewe really are a shining constellation !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11/10/2009 13:46:59 »
My former housemate bought a 6" Newtonian telescope some time ago and I spent a few hours helping him get it set up. The biggest issue was that the telescope has such a narrow field of view (the moon more-than fills the total area of the viewfinder) that it was very difficult to figure out where it was pointing. It's also tricky because if the the eyepiece focus is too far out, you won't see anything at all either.

With a bit of luck, you can find the moon and sort out the focus - make a mark on the control - it should be much the same focus for eveything in the sky!

(If you look at the moon at the boundary between light and dark - where the sun is hitting the moon at a glancing angle, making lots of contrast, you should see clearly lots of mountains and craters and stuff. You need to touch the scope controls very gently and not touch the eyepiece with your head else it goes all wobbly and yo won't see much.)

Then you need to align the "finder" scope (a small low-magnification / wider field of view) scope on the side so it's pointing in the exact same direction as the main scope. Once that's done, you can use the small scope (which shows you more of the sky) to point the main scope in the correct direction.

If you have the stand and swivels all set up correctly it'll help you keep stars in view as the earth rotates by just twiddling one control. If you just plonk it down randomly then you'll have to tweak both azimuth and elevation to keep things centred. But for the first few views, it probably doesn't matter.

That's one big telescope Neilep. Have you got a dark sky near you though?

You'll soon be needing accessories... like a woolly hat and gloves!
And lots and lots of patience.

Thanks techmind..this is all very very helpful and I am most grateful for your kind comments.

yep, I need to do all that but I suspect I need to do a thing called collimation first !???....not too sure what it is but I know it's very important ! LOl..I really am demonstrating the art of jumping in at the deep end.....but..my one consolation , is that I am discovering I am not alone !

Thanks for your advice techmind...you're not near Barnet by any chance are ewe ? . ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 11/10/2009 13:46:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length