The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: emWave PC program  (Read 3765 times)

Offline James5v

• First timers
    • View Profile
emWave PC program
« on: 11/10/2009 00:20:55 »
I recently went to a seminar on the emWave system.  The software includes a ear clip to monitor your heartbeat.  Their theory relates to the variances between the timing of each heartbeat.  If you follow their program your nervous system will become coherent and this will change your stress into productive performance.  The guy giving the lecture was quite a salesman.  I just wonder if their quoted 15 years of research has any validity.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
emWave PC program
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2009 13:44:18 »
HeartMath institutes (who are the proposed researchers) claim 18 years of research.

Correct me if I'm wrong I have just now done some reading having never heard of this before: but the concept seems to be that when the heart is erratic the brain is not functioning properly.. that doesn't seem to be a stretch.. if tachycardia is occurring then blood is not being pumped efficiently and therefore organs like the brain, will suffer, affecting cognitive and emotional function.

Does the method work? I don't know. It seems to be a indicator of emotional distress. So knowing when you are stressed (eg having a visual indicator for it) can be an efficient way of dealing with it.
The site seems to indicate that by being able to keep your heart rate steady and even, you can sustain positive emotions. Again.. I'm still thinking "school of the obvious".

Although it may not be obvious to everyone and some may need a visual indicator that the system seems to provide. for $300 it may be useful to someone.

I'm not sold though.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
emWave PC program
« Reply #2 on: 12/10/2009 08:35:26 »
This is very interesting..James5v, I have heart problems and a fellow friend of mine suffers from very erratic rounds of tachycardia..Which actually leave his emotions a mess. I find the problems with my heart also effect my emotions and ability to control the dips and dives in my emotional state.. I have a great deal of trouble with depression with my heart stuff.. I thought I was loosing my mind, but the doctor says that heart related troubles Like mine seem to trigger depressive states along with multiple other illness related things  that effect me. I would love to know some more about what you posted, on and read up further.. please message me any links you may have on the subject.. I would be interested in reading them.. Please do not post the links here unless they are strictly non promotional... Thanks

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
emWave PC program
« Reply #3 on: 12/10/2009 09:24:56 »
Ok... I read the science behind the emWave pc stress relief system. It sounds interesting. Are their any studies that are there available for the real studies that were done besides those I just read?

Offline James5v

• First timers
    • View Profile
emWave PC program
« Reply #4 on: 12/10/2009 12:22:38 »
The problem with the research is that the only research I find is that done by the people who have an interest in selling the program.  I have seen the program demonstrated and it does what it says, the question is of what benefit is the results.  If you do a search on emwave PC you will get many hits but all I have seen are from people who are marketing the program.  On Amazon there are a few personal accounts that give very positive statements but again who knows who these 8 individuals are and what interest they may have in the product.

The cheapest I have found the computer program is a little over $200 on Ebay.  I am a Licensed Professional Counselor and continue to question whether I want to spend the money.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
emWave PC program
« Reply #5 on: 12/10/2009 13:55:28 »
It sounds to me it could have an effect on ones overall health and reduce risks that may be related to stress etc,,, I could sure use something like myself!

Are you thinking of using it in your practice? I would be interested in keeping in touch if you do use it.. just to find out what kind of results you may get in your practice...you know the pros and cons of the usage.

I could sure stand some smoother flowing emotional levels, and if I am understanding that right, it means that it could help me to even out things, and help to control and learn to change my stress levels, which could benefit so many other aspects of my life, mentally, as well as physically,let alone  helping others in my shoes, millions of others!
« Last Edit: 13/10/2009 08:22:05 by Karen W. »

Offline James5v

• First timers
    • View Profile
emWave PC program
« Reply #6 on: 12/10/2009 18:59:06 »
I am still deciding whether or not to buy the program.  I don't know if it is worth $240 to find out it is not that helpful.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
emWave PC program
« Reply #7 on: 13/10/2009 08:14:59 »
Yeah! That would be a bummer, not to mention a hole in the pocket book!

The Naked Scientists Forum

emWave PC program
« Reply #7 on: 13/10/2009 08:14:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums