The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are Twins Identical Inside Too ?..and other twin questions !  (Read 2218 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Peeps Of Scientific Know-How & Wonderfun Luff & Joy !

Twins eh ?...oh yes !!

As a sheepy I of course luff twins...Twins are my all time favourite duplicated-two-of-the-same-type-people-things...

look , here are some twins:

Aroogah !..Twins !!

Being delivered next Tuesday !

A few kweschuns about twins !

Are Twins the same inside too ?..are their internal organs situated and orientated  precisely the same  ?..same specs ?

If Twins both get identical illnesses will they get better at the same rate ?

Can Twins consume the same amount of food and drink ?

Can Twins exercise and do sports to the same degree as each other ?

Could they both run the 100 meters at the same time ?...throw a javelin the same distance ?  Hold their breath the same time ?

ewe see...I need to know because it's something I need to know. will ewe help me know this but making me know  ?

I will personally come round and have tea with ewe should ewe assist me !

Thank ewe

hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah mwah !

neil
Twins......Phwoaarr !!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Are Twins Identical Inside Too ?..and other twin questions !
« Reply #1 on: 12/10/2009 08:16:13 »
Neil, I am thinking that twins may start out th same but as far as their abilities I would think one may be capable of what the other does only as far as one uses ones body to achieve the same thing.... I would imagine it would depend on weather they feel the same and train the same as the other as far as physical abilities are concerned and skills may vary as far as I understand it!

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/10/2009 10:37:15 »
Although twins have the same DNA in each of their cells (well, except for non-identical twins, who are no more alike than any other set of siblings), each of those cells contains two copies of each gene. For some genes we only use one copy and so in each  cell one or other of the two copies is used (either the father's copy or the mother's copy). That's not consistent through and individual's body, let alone between twins. This will mean different amounts of different proteins get made, with all sorts of knock-on effects.

And that's even without considering subtle differences in each twin's experience of the world which will make a difference to how they develop, starting perhaps with where they implant in the womb and whether one gets a richer blood supply than the other and therefore grows a bit bigger before birth.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 12/10/2009 10:37:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums